Obama and Company

I have to say I was a little surprised that in response to Monday’s post Mitt there weren’t any Romney advocates to be heard. I truly expected an onslaught of controversial comments in his defense.

How telling.

However, I did find one in my spam file the next morning that could have curled my hair. A young lady (I’m assuming she’s young or learning impaired), after threatening to come kick my ass, called Obama a coward which made me take pause.

Not due to the threat mind you, but accusing Obama of cowardice since a coward is the last thing he is when you consider how many people would like to kill him especially now since he’s championed gay marriage. The South must be beside themselves.

Imagine getting up every morning knowing it could be your last.

Imagine being married to him or having him as a father.

The first President of the United States to survive an assassination attempt was Andrew Jackson in 1835 while exiting the Capitol Building. Richard Lawrence less than 9 feet from Jackson fired 2 shots and missed.

Since then there have been 19 more known attempts to kill American Presidents with 4 fatalities. So you have to ask yourself, why would anyone want to be president?

Even Obama escaped harm on November 11, 2011 when Oscar Ortega-Hernandez fired 7 bullets into the White House actually getting close enough to crack a window. Luckily for Obama he was at a convention in Hawaii at the time.

That might be enough for me not to seek a second term yet his flag of freedom still flies high.

Then you have to consider what befell his predecessors who paved the way for his presidency or even his education for that matter.

We have James Meredith, the first Black man, or Colored as he was called in 1962, to be enrolled at The University of Mississippi, an all white school. His threats were so off the charts U.S. Marshals, sent by Attorney General Robert Kennedy, had to escort him in.

The man I’d really love to talk to though is Georgia Congressman John Lewis who at 23 was one of the original 13 Freedom Riders.  Rep. Lewis, who sustained a fractured scull during the famous march in Selma Alabama and was almost murdered by an angry mob in Montgomery, stood right behind Obama when he took the oath of office. That had to be an equally great day for the 72 year old peacemaker…

the stories he could tell.

I suppose my little militant friend would assume he’s a coward too even though he withstood countless beatings while boldly standing up for Civil Rights. You see, the deal was, even if someone hit you over the head with a lead pipe you could not fight back since you were protesting in peace. The riders made out wills before they embarked knowing there was a mighty good chance they wouldn’t be coming back yet they went anyway, and for the record many Whites went along with them. John Lewis wrote an amazing book called Walk in The Wind that chronicles the whole Civil Rights movement which brings me to Dr. King who as we all know, lost his life standing up for Civil Rights. Was he a coward too? I’m just asking.

If you were Barack Obama knowing all this wouldn’t you be a little wary of being the leader of the free world?  Yet he’s not.

You can call him other things I guess though nothing comes to mind right now but a coward I think isn’t one of them.

Try again pal, because it’s okay to agree to disagree, this is still America, the ‘Land of the Free’ after all, but next time you have something to say, could you be a bit more American?

I’d appreciate that.

This entry was posted in History, Love, Politics, Uncategorized, writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Obama and Company

1. Lisa says:

That is surprising that you only got one. And it wasn’t really a decent one bring up issues that could make you think or have a decent debate. I love this history lesson integrated in this too. 🙂

2. Love the history and the inspiration.Where did all that passion go? I don’t know what to think about the lack of negative regarding Mitt. Honestly, the R’s that I know don’t fawn all over him, they just don’t want ‘the other one” in office.

• I understand. Obama has disappointed in many areas, I guess I’m more willing to give him another shot than to vote for someone who lacks the basics. That’s why I like reading about past presidents, I find myself getting excited in hindsight.

3. Karen Johnson says:

Just an observation: You invite disagreement, yet you opened your post calling the gal who disagreed “young or learning impaired”.

4. D. D. Syrdal says:

Those hate comments are not civil, intelligent debate, and there is no way to talk with or reason with people like that. That kind of hatred is deep-seated and you could no more convince this person to broaden their world view than you could talk Mao Tse-tung into becoming a civil rights champion in a comment thread on a blog.

The Freedom Riders were unbelievably courageous. What a time that was.

• That book I mentioned is a stirring read. Another one about James Meredeth and the whole Ole Miss desegregation ‘they almost lost their minds’ epic that’s wonderful is ‘The Band Played Dixie’ by Nadre Cohodas. I know you like to read.

5. rachel bar says:

Well…. I really think you did not get a lot of reactions because you were preaching to the choir. Those who disagree with you probably figure that you would not change your mind anyway, as most of us firmly believe our own “truth”.
    As someone who’s going to vote for Obama, although I really wanted Hillary to be the president, I can definitely say that I believe Mitt will manage the economy much better than Obama. He has a great track record in his state, better than many others. Also, what people say before elections has nothing to do with what happens later on.
    And yes, we look at all the times Mitt was “bad” (like all of us are always perfect…), but do we bother to find all the good things he’s done?
    At the end of the day, the events and power groups dictate how a president govern, much more so than their statements before the elections. A good example is Obama’s dismal record on gun control!

• I might have changed my mind. I’m not someone who would only vote for a Democrat. I remember liking McCain until he brought you know who on the ticket. I look for inspiration, trust – nowadays it’s more like, which one isn’t so bad – I’ll choose him.
      You mentioned Hillary, did you happen to see the 2 part documentary on The Clintons on PBS? It’s quite amazing. I appreciate your lengthy point of view. Don’t get too many of those.

6. Vasca says:

I agree with much of Rachel’s comment…as in ‘preaching to the choir’. That would explain the lack of comment from Romney supporters. Possibly many would think it a waste of time to present opposite views…I do and I won’t.

Even tho’ I’m a world traveller and have been in the presence of kings/royalty I’m admittedly naive/sheltered and would, in NYC, be a ‘country bumpkin’…I live in a small city in Texas…born on an Oklahoma cotton farm in the Great Depression…raised in the oilfields. I’m a Christian who adores God and walks the talk. Capping that…most often I’m a Republican or Tea Partier…much to my father’s chagrin.

Economy wise…my husband and I have operated several small business besides his career with the U.S. military and hospital/school director for the State of Oklahoma. We’re ‘well-rounded’…like to think we’re caring what happens to this great country of ours! And yes, I will vote for Mitt Romney.

This quote in closing…”I’m not very open-minded. I try ~ but sometimes I can be downright judgmental. (Oddly enough, my main beef is with narrow minded people)”

• I’m surprised you didn’t announce this sooner. I think it’s a great thing to have freedom of choice something that people take for granted. I try not to. I have no idea whether I’m preaching to the choir or not. I could never vote for Mitt Romney, the coldness, whether he’s good with money or not, scares me.

7. Vasca says:

What I don’t like about Obama? Much and just as you feel Romney scares you…Obama scares me. In the beginning…I had high hopes but those hopes were quickly dashed.

To each his own. Scarey!

8. Ed says:

It distresses me that you’re being threatened. History, courtesy and common sense are all wasted on barbarians. So, apparently, is the Bill of Rights.

9. Liz Morley says:

For a split second I considered replying to your “Mitt” post when it was originally published. I withheld my two cents because I’m battle weary, politically speaking (and it’s only May – almost 6 more months until election day!). However, since you are building on the original post here’s my objection: the family of John Lauber, the alleged victim of Romney’s bullying, has made a statement claiming the Washington Post was incorrect. “The family of John Lauber is releasing a statement saying the portrayal of John is factually incorrect and we are aggrieved that he would be used to further a political agenda” (abcnews.go.com, May 10, 20120). I’m aggrieved also because the important issues facing our country – the economy, health care, energy, and war – fade from the necessary debate spotlight. IF Romney did the nasty “prank”, shame on him. IF this was a fabricated or embroidered story to portray Romney in a negative light, shame on the Washington Post’s source. Shame on us all when a person’s idiotic, or worse, high school actions distract us from the real concerns in this election year.

10. Rob says:

My, you sure stirred them up with this one Susannah. I won’t get involved in the debate on US politics: I’m not well informed, being a foreigner. I have grave misgivings about a phrase like “leader of the free world” though. It seems to me this must be built on a large pile of arrogant assumptions.

• It’s just a phrase I used. To be honest, I wrote both essays but don’t feel the least bit riled either way. For me they were very specific – the dog on the roof, an accusation of cowardice – chose to address them is all. I love to write so that’s what that matters to me. Comments are merely that. Checked your site earlier.

• Rob says:

I enjoyed your writing: I always do. But I question everything: it’s in my nature. A phrase like “leader of the free world” tends to stick. It means things beyond what it apparently says. When you use it, you reinforce those other meanings. I’m English, not American. I like to think I live in the free world. Obama is not my leader.
        My big brother Jack lived in Boston Massachusetts for a few years. He was out shopping one morning when he was button-holed by a party worker who asked Jack’s voting intentions. Jack told him he didn’t get a vote as he wasn’t an American citizen. “So how long before you can apply to be an American?” came the reply. “I have no intention of applying anytime: I’m British.” said Jack. The party worker thought this was a joke and really took some convincing that Jack was quite content with his nationality and had no desire to become American. It was all pleasant and good natured: they parted on good terms. But I think it illustrates something from the American national psyche. Maybe a phrase like “leader of the free world” is another symptom of the same malaise?