The Kennedy Mud Machine

First I want to say thank you for the outpouring of love and concern towards Traveller the cat and her furry little family. We were all so touched by it, you have no idea.

Today’s post though will be quite a bit different from yesterdays.

I try very hard not to pen anything controversial, not because I haven’t an opinion, that will be the day. My aim is more to entertain and just plain try to make you laugh for the couple of minutes we spend together on the page, HOWEVER…

The Bobby Kennedy Jr. verses Mary Kennedy divorce records that hit the tabloids yesterday also hit me.

The writer Laurence Leamer, who I’d like to slam, somehow got his hands on Kennedy’s confidential court papers he filed in 2010.

Let’s look at the word ‘confidential’ for a moment, shall we?

It’s an adjective meaning, ‘intended to be kept secret ‘ so how did Leamer manage to more or less sell these papers to Newsweek?

It really makes me sick.

As most of you know, Mary Kennedy took her own life a month ago at the age of 51 leaving behind 4 children and from what I understand, an insurmountable broken heart. I don’t mind telling you how much her death affected me even though I penned something very neutral when it happened and chose to move on.

Then the New York Post ran a story that Kerry Kennedy, Mary’s sister-in-law and long time friend wrote saying how Mary suffered from severe depression most of her life. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kerry-kennedy/mary-richardson-kennedy_b_1537286.html

It steamed up my glasses to say the least especially when she wrote we should not remember Mary for her despair. How about telling your brother that.

If someone is that notoriously depressed do you leave them alone in a huge house with nothing but echos of former family life and overwhelming debt?

Bobby took the kids, wouldn’t give her any money…imagine with all that Kennedy wealth he claimed to not have any. The papers say he’s a pauper next to some of his cousins but come on, how broke could he be? On top of it, now he’s stating she was abusive; hit him, stole from his daughter from a previous marriage and killed his dog. Not only is all this venom in this week’s Newsweek but the New York Post ran juicy tidbits on its front page.

When I hear a woman hits a man I know two things, if it’s true he probably deserved it and there’s a good chance he hit her first. According to some rag I read online that made the Post sound like the Wall Street Journal Mary was trained as a boxer and before they were married gave Bobby a black eye. This is before I read Leamer’s vomit in Newsweek. Sounds like RFK Jr. was courting Joe Frasier. Honestly, is he that much of a wimp to have to say she beat him up?

How about rest in peace, you’d think that was something a man who’s lost so many family members including his father and two brothers might have a little respect for.

I don’t care that he claimed all this while she was still alive. It’s cruel and unnecessarily brutal.

And isn’t it admirable that we’re slandering her when she’s not here to defend herself? Did you hear that Mr. Leamer?

Mary apparently was an alcoholic so I get why Bobby didn’t want to be married to her anymore but to treat her so insensitively knowing she suffered from acute depression more than baffles me.

I know a lot about alcoholism having two parents who suffered from it. I’ve left more than one man because of it. It’s not a day at the beach to have an alcoholic so intimately in your life, but when it’s time to call it a day, you can go with grace, something the Kennedys tend to lack.

The whole Irish Catholic thing they wear on their sleeves eludes me as well. You see, when you’re a real believer, you don’t treat people like that. You’re kind, patient. You try to help them. You don’t go out of your way to kill them off by appearing in public with a sexy T.V. star when you’re not yet divorced, especially when you know it’s going to really hurt someone who at one time you professed to love.

I’m sorry, I should probably delete this and write about enduring love or sex, two things people are thrilled to read about. When I do, my hits are off the charts.

But when I think about it, I am writing about love, that clearly was absent.

I want to say Mary, wherever you are and I do believe you’re in a kinder place where peace rather than cruelty reigns, some of us don’t believe those trumped up, exaggerated allegations. I don’t care what the maid said.

Do I think you had problems?

Absolutely.

Did you act out because of them?

Of course you did, but didn’t he promise to stand by you for better or worse, in sickness and in health, isn’t that what one agrees to when you take those vows?

And by the way, I also don’t believe God turns his back on a woman whose life was so painful that she had to leave it. According to the Catholic Church suicides aren’t welcomed in heaven. I beg to differ. I think God embraces and comforts those who couldn’t make it on this side of the rainbow.

Bobby Kennedy Junior, who bears the name of a man I have always revered, needs to rethink the man he’s become.

He could have gotten a divorce without chopping her off at the knees. What about the kids? She was still their mother and from many gentler accounts from people who had true affection for her, she was a loving soul battling her demons the best she could.

But when someone is stripped of everything she loves, what did everyone expect? She was going to go back to school and earn another degree? Write a book and hit the lecture circuit? Cut her losses? Oh she cut her losses alright.

Can we please leave this woman in peace?

Mr. Leamer, for your sake, I hope we never meet.

This entry was posted in animals, Health, History, Love, New York City, Politics, religion, sexual relationships, Uncategorized, women, Women and men and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The Kennedy Mud Machine

1. Money clearly does not buy class. The headline popped up on my homepage yesterday and I thought..you have got to be kidding me. It’s such pointless “news”. The story that would have made an impact was Mary’s version, but she had to much class to run to the press to air her laundry for her children to one day Google and be even more devastated than they already are today. Stupid asses!

• Well said. I try not to rant on the blog but couldn’t contain myself. It’s like a virus this bad press business. I’d prefer to go back to the days of media discretion when they didn’t print just anything to make a buck.

2. Jed says:

Well said.

3. rheath40 says:

Great post Susannah. I hate that the victim is blamed in all of this. She may have been an alcoholic. I’m in recovery, I get it. But she was obviously self medicating her unhappiness. If she didn’t want help, that’s fine. But at least support her. She is the mother of his children after all. I will never understand the power of a family like that. I will never understand why it is okay to hurt someone with words when they are already dead. What does that prove? Nothing! It proves that the living are weak. That they would not help when the person was alive so they somehow have to show that the blame is not on them. When ultimately it is. An alcoholic has to help themselves to get better. But a person with depression, they need the help of family and friends. They need support. Thanks for your entry. The subjects are very near and dear to my heart.

• I’m so glad you agree with me. I figured I’d meet some opposition and of course the day is young. Her suicide really disturbed me. I’ve known so many addicts and alcoholics and many of them got better. I know she was depressed but to leave her alone like that taking everything she cared about. It breaks my heart. I hope this is it, it’s as bad as it will get and they finally let her rest in peace. Thanks Renee.

4. rachel bar says:

Inasmuch as I believe that that speaking ill of the dead is a travesty, I think that there were a good number of assumptions on this blog, about other people’s lives. These assumptions are just that. None of us lived with them. We like to imagine the poor suffering spouse and the abusive husband, and that might be the case here, but I know for a fact that there’s a good number of women, especially after they drink, that get rageful and hit and scratch without being hit first. Also, just because a woman is depressed, does not make her a saint. Depressed people may be kind or mean, just like the rest of us.
    Do I think that her husband has no integrity because he’s blaming his wife in public? For sure, but that did not make her a complete victim in her lifetime. Finally, why do we assume that he needs to give her money? This whole thing of men supporting women needs to be looked at in our culture. Wasn’t she there when they were financially broke? Did she do anything? Did she save money? I can go on and on, but the bottom line is that this is “Other People’s Lives” (a great movie, BTW), and we just don’t know all the details.
    At the same time I think it’s great that you wrote about it. It’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it, and it creates an interesting discussion.

• I just wish they’d leave it and her alone. Yeah, I know all about rage, I also know about him and I won’t go there anymore than I already have but, I still say kindness is the way to go. I’ve had men and women do some pretty nasty things to me but I chose the high road? You know why Raquel, because as my friend Ali always reminds me, there’s less traffic on it.

5. Vasca says:

Some absolutely revel in knowing about peoples faults. Not so long ago the prime targets were celebs…people salivated reading about those lives filled w/unhappiness and misery…misery loves company? With some, yes. Papers, books, movies re ‘sensationalism’ are big drawing cards which bring in lots of ???…money, of course…isn’t that what it’s all about? Disgusting as it is, cashing in on dirty linen is alive & well. Integrity? Some never had any!

I was addicted to prescription drugs for 13 horrendous years! Thank God I’m not interesting enough to have my disgusting actions hung out for any and all to read about. These days we have you tube…no one is immune from public exposure!

Me? I was so deeply depressed I didn’t care about anything…nothing! I was ready to make my exit…then…love rescued me…wonderful, awesome love! I was and am fortunate. I’m able to help others who ‘were just like me’…and it’s encouraging to make a difference in others lives!

This quote from David Burns…”Depression can seem worse than terminal cancer, because most cancer patients feel loved and they have hope and self-esteem”.

Personally, it seems this is how so many feel…oh so sad.

• I’m with you. Of course compassion isn’t so popular in our culture. I too have been depressed. I can only compare it to having a tarp, like on a baseball field, thrown over you – the weight of it is too much to lift.

The whole topic of Mary K. makes me sad and edgy.

6. Vasca says:

Sorry my comment is so lengthy…

7. Alva Chinn says:

We are in a society is so ruled by “Reality TV, scandals and “Celebrity” that we have forgotten that “there but for the grace of God…” Depression is a killer and many self-medicate. We all have issues. Until we focus on our own selves and healing ourselves; we seem hell bent on lasciviously enjoying another’s fall. Perhaps the remedy in this situation is to not stoke those embers that separate, but unify us all by opening our hearts to those who are struggling instead of avoiding another’s pain.

8. I too was sick to my stomach when I read the post yesterday! No matter what transpired they should let her rest in peace and allow her children and loved ones to grief in peace! Bravo for your being true to your feelings!

• Oh, all it did was relieve me for the length of time it took me to write it. I suffer from acute empathy, can’t help it. I feel badly for everyone. Life is hard enough but can you imagine being pulled down by such a dark force that you can’t see any way out? That really scares me. She fell too low and couldn’t find that patch of light.