When You’re Too Happy

I was in a great mood this morning sleeping 13 blissful hours.  This came about after my friend Jed took me out for a lavish lunch where I ate and drank as if I were going to the chair.

I woke up happy and refreshed anxious to go for a run.  As I was stretching I noticed a group of tourists gearing up for a tour of Central Park.  How nice, I thought as I ran merrily passed them.

On my third loop around I saw them again in the distance along with a park ranger conducting the tour.  Like right out of a movie a huge raccoon came scurrying over the fence right in front of them before dashing up a tree.  How unusual being that brazen in broad daylight, not one of their more common characteristics.

As I approached the group I slowed up and said, “Wasn’t that great? He came out just for you.”  They all smiled and laughed pretty much like I knew they would.  The park ranger however, who clearly left her humor at home said, “That’s not true. That raccoon was probably rabid therefore disoriented.”  Nothing like spoiling the party.  I took umbrage at this since one, it was an unnecessary remark and two, it wasn’t necessarily true.

So I became little Miss Know-it-all.

“The reason raccoons don’t come out more often during the day is because they’re shy not necessarily diseased.  This guy was in a hurry, like his mother was waiting up for him.”

More laughs all around.

“He could have been dangerous,” said the pissed off party-pooper.

“Oh come on, where’s the romance in you?  Isn’t it a sweeter scenario to think he had a date and lost all track of time?  Come on Park Girl, what do you say?”

If looks could kill I would have been up that tree with Rocky.

“I hope you all have a nice morning…that goes for you too,” I said to her, as I took my leave.

Hey, nature sometimes needs a lawyer just like the rest of us.

This entry was posted in animals, Beauty, humor, Love, New York City and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to When You’re Too Happy

1. Hahahahaha…..Debbie Downer the Park Ranger…jeeze lighten up.

2. Ed Crescimanni says:

Brilliant advocacy for a positive outlook. Unfortunately, Smokey the Bitch and her ilk will never have a nice morning, and, what’s worse, will resent you for having one. And the fact that her diagnosis of our furry friend might be correct and her warning could be construed as the responsible act of a public servant, nevertheless leaves her glass significantly more than half empty.

3. Rob says:

If the past few days have taught us anything it’s that life is far to short to waste on being miserable. You’re like a breath of fresh air and a ray of sunshine in the gloom, all rolled into one Susannah.

4. backonmyown says:

Rocky Raccoon appreciates your advocacy. So do I, on his behalf.

• I always loved that Beatle song. I know that what she said is true sometimes, but if you saw how thrilled these people were to actually see a critter that close you would have given her a hard time too. She needed some of your toffee 🙂

5. Jed says:

I’ll take Rocky over the ranger any day.

6. D. D. Syrdal says:

OH PUH-LEEEZE. For a park ranger she clearly doesn’t know the signs of rabies. If that critter was sick with rabies and disoriented, he would have been wobbling and swaying, not scurrying confidently up a tree, and more likely would have charged at you than ran away. If she really believed it was rabid, she should have called for someone to come and trap it, not stand there snarling at you.

7. I love your new picture by the way…keep meaning to tell you 🙂

I am soooo tired of negative peeps—this being said by self professed Scroogette—still come on people life is good—laugh–even at yourself when you are being silly or stupid. Could be the raccoon was sick–and on his way home to mama–so be glad he ran up a tree and not your leg Ms Park Tour Ranger person.

9. Love the story. I never understood why some people always insist of looking at the bad side of things