Dog Tails

On Saturday I was on my way home from the Upper West Side when I met a pit bull named Monty. His owner was talking to him about why he really shouldn’t be getting another cookie.

“You’re too fat Monty,” he said the way your grandmother might – firm but with tons of maternal love. Naturally I stopped to put in my two cents and get a cheap feel. Pits are so solid that if you shut your eyes you can pretend they’re Russell Crowe or someone equally as huggable. No, Clooney’s too skinny…no meat there to dig your nails into. Monty let me pet him not taking his eyes off of his master’s front right pocket for one second.

Ah, the cookie jar.

“Were you two just at the gym?” I asked assessing their attire. The guy had on 3 ply bike pants and a sweaty hoodie while Monty wore a T-shirt rolled halfway up his belly like a sumo wrestler. They looked like they had just gotten through a serious morning of bench pressing. “We went for a run,” the guy said, “best way to knock off a few pounds.” I loved how he winked in the dog’s direction as he said this.

He then looked at Monty and said, “Okay, but this is the last one,” before handing over that cookie. Made me laugh since they were both so tough looking on the outside but with big, soft, gooey centers. I’ve learned never to go by the packaging.

“Was Monty a rescue?” I asked, already knowing the answer. How did I know? There’s a special bond between the person who went to that shelter and the puppy he came out with that blinks like neon.

“Yes,” he said, “had him for 4 years.”

“I think that’s so noble that you gave him a home.”

“Are you kidding,” he said, while rubbing Monty beneath his enormous chin.

“This guy…he’s my heartbeat.”

Their sweetness increased mine as I made my way home.

This entry was posted in animals, humor, Love, New York City, parents, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Dog Tails

1. Monty, another great name. The staring at the pocket kills me. I always feel if Chester can stare at a pot for that long, for god sakes he earned a taste! Yes, our pets tend to train us very well.

• I met a Beagle named Bella yesterday whose owner said was very stubborn. I thought of Chester at once. She’s a sweet little thing. It’s too bad we couldn’t introduce them. What she may need is a big, strong man to teach her a thing or two. Does Chester drive by any chance? I realize a commute’s involved 🙂

2. yourothermotherhere says:

You can learn a lot about how to get cookies just by watching a dog. (smiles)

3. backonmyown says:

I appreciate very much your “exposing” the kind gentle side of the much maligned pit bull. I have been terrified of them for years. You see, I had a neighbor who surreptitiously raised them for fighting. Their training included hanging on a tire attached to a tree in order to develop their already powerful jaws, I suppose. That’s what I was told. At the time I had two collies. The pits would jump out of the car window of their owner if they saw my dogs in the yard. Then the attack was on. When the animal control officer came out she told me I would be within the law if I shot the pits. As you know from my last post, I don’t kill things. Shooting them wasn’t an option. Soon after that the neighbors moved out to the country to do their evil illegal deeds.

I’ve always known they had an unfair public image, and a private one inside my head. I thank you for helping me to see their good nature.

• That tire business makes me bristle. The whole idea of raising them to fight breaks my heart. I’m always talking about my friend Jennifer and her organization UAA. That’s primarily what they do, they rescue pits from rings. The last 2 puppies she had, both now in super homes, from being in cages and not being able to walk had bloody paws when she’d take them to the park. Their pads couldn’t take the pavement. I would have murdered shot people, forget the dogs.

4. katecrimmins says:

Awwww! I love dog stories with happy endings.

5. rheath40 says:

He’s my heartbeat. Now that is a true dog lover.

6. D. D. Syrdal says:

I will never look at Russell Crowe the same way again 😉

7. dailyspro says:

This post made my heart sing – loved the entire thing. I enjoyed the camaraderie and love that you made obvious – especially the fact that Monty wore a rolled up t-shirt for his “run” and the wink. Thanks for posting.

8. Rescued pets never stand you up for lunch. Thank you for the sweet post, Susannah, it just made me remember the day my kitty, Louis the Lover rescued me. He hasn’t left my side since.

9. Rob says:

Our relationship with Smudge makes it very difficult for us to understand folk who would ill-treat an animal. But we have to accept, not everyone has the same mindset as us. I don’t doubt many failed owners start out with the best of intentions. Anyone watching Smudge and I in the park might imagine that dog ownership is all effortless frolic. They have no reason to suspect there was a time when I felt like wringing her neck. I make sure I tell anyone who might see us as an “advert” for getting a pet, not because I seek approval for my tenacity, but because I wouldn’t want to be the unwitting prompt for another failed relationship. Raising a puppy can be tough and people should only attempt it with a balanced view.

10. Jed says:

Ahh… that Monty. Are they the best or what.