More Is More

I was invited to an in-house fashion show to see a designer’s (who will remain nameless) new fall line. Yes, it’s September already on 7th Ave. and 36th Street.

These shows normally bore, not to mention annoy me since you’re seated on hard folding chairs wedged between women wearing enough cologne to be considered acts of terrorism. Ladies that could never even fit into any of the clothes crane their necks like pelicans as if they’re at a Yankee game stuffed in really cheap seats (which are probably more comfortable).

I went mainly because I know this person and she said they’d be wine and crudites. Doesn’t take much, does it.

Well, my biggest objection besides my show-mates were the amount of accouterments the models, that were all 12 by the way, came galloping out in. That’s another no-no for me. When your runway is the size of a postage stamp, calm the fuck down. Imagine a horse race at your local hardware store.

They had so many chains and bracelets, belts and boas, you’d have to start dressing after breakfast to be ready on time for dinner. You’d also need an attendant to zip and fasten, button and loop. I really didn’t get it.

I myself like to jump in my dress and go, like it’s a car idling.

When Giselle, I’ll call her, asked for my views I was happy the wine was so bad that I didn’t have much because I just may have told her, Giselle honey, you took fashion back a good 300 years.

Less is more, even Coco Chanel said it and she too liked her ropes of pearls that a woman could have easily hung herself with.

When you walk into a room you want people to see you, not your Visa statement because that’s all you see…the underlying expense gracing your backside.

I will say, Madam Giselle does use beautiful fabric from a mill she goes to twice a year in Como Italy that weaves like no other, therefore she’s pricy. Add all the impedimenta that comes with each ensemble and you’ll be sitting in debtor’s prison looking like a depressed display case.

I know I’m not at my best, but my eye, believe me, is still pretty sharp. You know what they say, lose one of your senses and sharpen the rest. I don’t know who said it, probably Camille or my shoemaker Phil who sharpens everything.

Giselle told me how nice I looked in my simple black Theory dress with my ONE STRAND OF PEARLS. I wonder what she was really thinking. You know Susannah, you could use a few more, like maybe 70…you will have to hold onto things mind you as you walk, so you don’t tip over.

I’m just saying.

When I stroll in a room, I don’t ever want to look like I’m sneaking out of a hotel by having it seem that I’m wearing everything I own at once.

I’mย  sorry, but…

that just will not do..

This entry was posted in Beauty, Fashion, humor, money, New York City, travel, Uncategorized, women and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to More Is More

I agree with your less is more, when it comes to fashion. As far as perfume, here’s a funny story. A fringe friend, who invited herself along, was seated in a car between my brother and me on our way to a play. She said, “Mary, what’s that perfume you’re wearing? It smells so good.” I sniffed my wrist and replied, “Gee, I was in such a hurry getting ready that I forgot to put some on.” Her reply? “Why, it must be me!” Forty years later, my friends and I use that line whenever we get the opportunity!

2. Rob says:

Once again I agree with you Susannah (OMG is that twice this month already? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I don’t like clutter.

3. D. D. Syrdal says:

Remember the old adage, “A little dab’ll do ya.” There’s a balcony outside my office that looks down into the atrium in the building I work in. Standing on the balcony looking down to the next floor, I could smell a woman who was there setting up for a trade show. Seriously, it was enough to kill a horse.

Too bad that designer hides all her lovely fabrics under boas and chains.

4. Michael says:

Waging your own fashion battles on this D-Day Remembrance Day. Nice. http://aminutewithmichael.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-personal-d-day-history-plus.html

• I totally forgot and I’m grateful to you because my friend Nancy died today and it totally slipped my mind I’m embarrassed to say. I’m very self absorbed these days. Thanks for the heads up.

5. backonmyown says:

I’ve wondered what one of those shows would be like. Thanks for your description. You made me laugh and convinced me that I don’t really want to go to one.

I have been noticing that there seems to be a lot of stuff on models these days. Wonder if it will catch on with non-model folk? Not that it will make a difference to me…I am a t-shirt and cotton skirt or pants kinda non-model peep.

• It’s funny, I was just thinking about you and how I could use a shot of one of your posts. They always cheer me up. I’m not much of a model type anymore either. Wish I could just live in my pajamas.

7. Why anyone would even want to look like a chandelier is beyond me. We can’t even discuss the perfumed pelicans….I was on the floor!

8. Amara says:

One of the things I love of summer is that you slip in in a nice dress and put on one piece of jewelry (I always wear only one, earrings (ok, that’s two or three), or bracelet, or necklace) and shoes, and you’re all done!

As for perfume, for summer evenings I wear a jasmine essence I bought in Grasse (the French capital of perfume). Every now and then, people comment on how balmy the evening is, and how it smells of flowers, and how beautiful summer is, and *sigh*. I usually don’t tell them my little secret.

• What a nice visual. You’re right about summer…dressing is so much easier…no layers…no socks. I hate wearing socks. I love bare legs ad sandals…a little purse. I only wear cologne in the spring and summer…Verbena…smells wrong in winter but the minute those breezes blow it becomes a whole other scent. Thanks for all of this Amara. I can see a pretty girl strolling down the Avenue in a pretty dress and one exceptional piece of jewelry.

9. Agree with your less is more, in perfume, accessories and jewelry… I am a simple diamond stud earring girl and a simple necklace, possibly one of my favorite bracelets (but just one at a time). Honestly, though, I am a jeans and sweatshirt type except for the stupid summer when I have to resort to capris and a tank… Great post. You truly would fall over if you wore more too much jewelry… DAF