To My Respected Readers

Athingirl.com is soon to have her third year anniversary.

I wanted to say a few words concerning its unexpected longevity.

In 2011 when my friend Amy put it up for me as a birthday gift, I figured it would last a month. I’d either get tired of it, or it would flop so badly that I’d have to mercifully pull the plug.

Isn’t it nice to surprise oneself?

I learned quickly what a gift it is to have a place for you and your thoughts to humbly show up every day…like a cerebral community center.

Amy had no idea the gift she had given me. And to think she had to cajole and coax me into doing it. “We can just take it down if you find out you hate it,” she said over and over again.

It’s become such a part of my life that it would feel like murder if I dismantled her.

I marvel at the constancy of my readers that will never fail to humble and leave me in a state of awe.

The support I get for instance, people telling me how much they like my writing, lifts me to the highest.

Of course I am occasionally criticized, like this past week over my Eric Clapton post (Mr. Clapton…Respectfully). A regular reader went for my throat, and his for that matter, because I didn’t post his flaws front and center enough. The tenacity that came through this person’s comments to tell the world he wasn’t such a great guy left me aghast and very irritated.

I’ll admit, I didn’t handle my ire very well telling her to get lost, but it told me the kind of readership I truly prefer….one where hearts stay open late into the night remembering how fragile humanity is.

In his case he lost a son, which for me is the worst sentence anyone could ever serve. My former follower felt, he deserved it somehow as in…sins of the father.

She even took a potshot at Angelina Jolie after I wrote about her too in an admirable way (Angelina) lauding her valor and candor in regards to her voluntary double-mastectomy.

To put it in a nutshell, Pollyanna got seriously slimed.

The truth is, why are you reading me anyway if my gentle shake bothers you that much. Go read Marilyn Manson’s blog, or the National Inquirer.

Looking toward the light is where the fruit is kept. By insisting otherwise you perpetuate pain and suffering that does no one any good.

I also don’t just want people to hit my like button without bothering to read what I wrote. Some bloggers do that to increase their follower list I’m told, or to get you to hit their like button in return.

For me that is so creatively counterproductive. What happened to the art that propelled you upon the page in the first place?

I can only speak for me, but writing provides freedom to express in such a way that’s safe and comfortable.

Like a bird, you simply get to be heard from whence you perch.

After all this time I’d rather have 10 people read and respect an essay of mine that makes them laugh or think, than 200 readers who alas, just don’t get it.

Showing up on the page every day has become a personal command performance.

I hope I can keep your attention for another year, or at least another day.

I will certainly do my best.

A heartfelt thank-you to all..                  quill_pen_and_ink_well

Susannah

This entry was posted in writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to To My Respected Readers

1. Lisa says:

It almost sounds like you had someone trolling your page whether or not they intended to do that. It’s a shame when that happens. Anyway, happy three years!

2. jimmie chew says:

wow 3 yrs! congrats my friend.
    we love your blog!!!!!

3. pmahaney says:

It is provocative and thoughtful writing, with the occasional humorous slant, and to do it so well daily is attested to by we the reader. A tip of the cap to Amy for twisting your arm.

4. Seeing athingirl.com in my inbox is the best way to start my day. Cheers followed by balloons & confetti!
    The sins of the father mentality is straight-up insane. I know of some effers walking around happy as larks, so that squashes that theory.

5. danbohmer says:

Happy blogiversary…and Happy Birthday to you as well. Thanks for writing as you do!

6. Concatulations! Touch wood I’ve never had anyone nasty (I’m not particularly controversial!) but if I did then I think I would just try to take it in a positive light that they felt the need to be that way because of their own ignorance or insecurities. We can not all agree on everything, that’s what makes us all so interesting. Wishing you many more yeas of happy blogging! =^.^=

• Yeah, that was like getting hit by a two by four. I didn’t see it coming and clearly Eric and Angelina hit upon a nerve. Can’t hit a grand slam all the time I’ve learned.

I like the expression…we can agree to disagree…perhaps another up and coming T-shirt design 🙂

7. wobsy says:

Three years on and no sign of any diminution of quality or entertainment value: that’s quite an achievement. Give yourself a thorough back-patting. I’m still jealous of your easy conversational writing style: wish I could do it.

Wow, three years … I just hit three monthes. I have several blogs I read on a regular basis, but FYI, yours is the only one I follow. Great start to my day each morning.

9. Amy says:

Congratulations Susannah! I believe you would have done it eventually anyway, but honored that I got to play a part in setting it up… I wonder who will play me in the story of your life? All the best to you.

10. Amy says:

Boring is hardly a word I’d associate with you. xo

11. Amy says:

I know what I’m talking about because I’m smart, you said it yourself. I guess you were wrong on the humble thing.

12. Vasca Beall says:

Congratulations on an extremely successful three years of blogging! Your posts are always full of insight as you share life in the big city. Raising a toast to you, Susannah, for giving so much of yourself to others!

13. katecrimmins says:

I love your writing. The topics are always interesting and if I would disagree (which I never do) and felt the need to express it, I would do so in a very kind manner. I never get why people are so critical on non-political blogs.

• I couldn’t agree more, but like I said earlier, there was more going on here than just my Pollyanna tendencies. I set this person off. I’m told that’s a good thing. I’m just afraid I’ll find her in front of my house with an Uzi.

Kindness dear Kate is always the road to take…I don’t care where we’re going.

14. I am very happy to have stumbled upon your blog. I look forward to reading at and ingesting your wonderful sense of style and imagination. Congratulations on your longevity!

15. manty67 says:

Wow, go you!!! What a wonderful achievement 🙂 . I have to say that there are days when I wish I had more readers, but like you, I’d much rather have 1person actual read what I put and make comments than 3 that just like the page and never both to read it. So here’s to the next year, I look forward to reading what comes next x

• Thank you. That’s a very generous thing to say. I never get the sheer promotion of something. There’s a blogger, who will remain nameless, who spends a half hour each day hitting her vast list of follower likes and never reads a word. Mind you she had managed to get advertisers, hands on jobs, because she has worked the system so adroitly. Despite any financial success, where is the art, I ask you???

Well congratulations! Not only do you have a fine blog but you remember dates. I have no idea when I started blogging. I started on Blogger then came over to WordPress but I don’t know the dates for either event. It’s been a while and I am old(er) now. Keep on, my friend..

17. D. D. Syrdal says:

Congratulations on three creative years!

18. jojothyme says:

Though I swore I’d neither read a comment not leave one ever again – I would like you to know, Cara Susannah, that you have opened a slight crack in a door that I am resolutely trying to close – It is the door to a balcony from which one looks on this city in which we live – that looks on life in this City – with love.

• Why you’re closing a door when you’re such a lovely writer is something you need to address, but it’s very nice hearing from you. Stop being so fearful…really…look at me…people take swipes at me all the time and my head is still bobbing in the water.