I Used To Be Funny

I consider myself, deep down, a humorist. Lately though my laugh gene seems to be at large. If you run into it, can you send it home? Tell it I’ll be good and try very hard to appreciate it more.

This is only a theory but…

my heart has been heavy outweighing the humor.

I wish I could conduct a survey asking my favorite writers if this has ever happened to them.

I can’t believe it hasn’t since life has a way of splicing your cheer in half when you least expect it, like an unsuspecting coconut. Does David Sedaris ever wake up and not feel wry and witty? Hard to imagine.

And Jean Kerr, my favorite silly lady who wrote about everything under the sun with balloons on her heads. Did she feel how I’m feeling…empty…giggles missing in action, smiles nowhere to be seen?

What am I doing writing about dead Syrian children? Oh yeah, that’s the best way to promote readership – depress everybody.

Imagine a clown at the circus administering last rites. That’s me, Bozo with rosary beads.

I’m thinking of posting less. Five essays a week, after penning seven, seemed like a good change. But now I’m thinking three. Athingirl, in more ways than one, is getting a little old in the midst of her third year. Even with new packaging she may need to rethink who she is on the page.

So if I don’t show up one day, please don’t think I’m dead…it’s more than likely I’m just recharging my batteries.

I appreciate the handful of you who read me every day. It’s an honor that’s never taken for granted.

I want to be a better writer who makes you smile. Need to find her again because I really like that Susannah.

She’s a lot of fun.

This entry was posted in humor, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to I Used To Be Funny

Susannah, you’re funny, even when you’re sad. Poignant humour is good, silly humour is good: they all have their contribution to make. You write from the heart and the events of the world are bound to affect you. You will bounce back.

• I’m quite melancholy Mick…it’s as though I’m carrying a dead body I can’t seem to bury. Yesterday didn’t help. I felt the day and was quite surprised how many people I know just glossed over it. In a way I wish I could but those that are no longer who perished in a heartbeat haunt me.

I enjoy being light and airy…like wearing summer clothes all year round…now it feels as if I’ve donned a tarpaulin, you know, like they they throw over a baseball field when it rains.

Your attendance is always appreciated.

2. You are human first and those images combined with every day nonsense was enough to make even the most jovial of folks melancholy. I’ll give you some some advice from my mom. This is what she says…”When the news makes me sick I put on the Golden Girls, a fit of laughing always makes me feel better.” There will be no fee for that prescription, which should also make you feel better.
    I must say the image of a clown giving last rites did crack me up…I think I may actually request a clown when the time comes….lol

• Call on me first, I should be really good at it by then. I know what you’re saying…The Golden Girls, I love Lucy, Laurel and Hardy…I have them all perennially in my Netflix cue.

I just need to come back above sea level. Thanks Top.

3. Ginny says:

Will miss you girl!

4. Totally understand… you have kept me afloat the past few weeks, and I do appreciate that life raft you have provided….
    Maybe the summer has zapped the writing gene out for a short season…

Personally, I have enjoyed each post you have written… it’s not that you are not funny, think of it as expanding your porfolio of writing. You not only can write humor, you can write serious. I think humor is very difficult, and I see myself as pretty humorous in life, can’t translate that to the page as much as I would love to.

Hope the next few days are refreshing, relaxing and eventful… filled with lots of fodder for posts for the next few weeks!

Thanks for being you and I love the new design, each day I see something new on it.
    DAF

• I love to write…I only question the quality as of late…I am hard on myself and painfully honest. Have no intention of stopping. Was only alerting to a rhythm change.

Hope you keep penning poignant posts such as September 11th…you stir as well DAF.

• well, you see, here I am thinking that what you write is incredible and think mine is ready for the circular file. Maybe it’s just the change of seasons and we will both come in with a bang the official beginning of fall. Until then we can be each other’s cheerleaders!! Thanks for being you!

• Could be the seasons…when they change it always feels as if I’ve missed something. Perceptions…sometimes it’s like looking through a fun house mirror…at least I’m hoping that’s the case.

5. D. D. Syrdal says:

I think it’s a good idea to take the pressure off yourself. You can keep writing if the muse is in the house, just hold those posts for other days. Either that or start writing horror stories to exorcise that demon. Don’t let the blues get the better of you; do call someone for help if you really feel like you’re sinking.

6. katecrimmins says:

I suffer from the same affliction. Lack of funny does sidetrack you once in a while but your posts are always well written and enlightening even when they are serious. Sometimes it’s great to know that I am not the only one who feels the way you do. Hmmmm….you are my therapy (and no, you don’t have to bill me.)

7. MJ Kolba says:

Susannah, one of the freshest and most refreshing things about your blog is your bravery in chronicling the dark along with the light. You keep it real, and not without eloquence. Part of your gift is that even in your most heartbreaking pieces, there’s a glimmer of hope, if not humor, that shines through. We all enjoy being entertained, and your work IS entertaining. More importantly, though, it resonates.

Our power was out for a couple days, so I’m just catching up. We’re also in a cell phone dead zone too.
    If writing every week day starts to become ‘work’, less enjoyable, or begins to steal your funny-bone, then I completely understand lightening up the load. We are grateful for whatever and whenever you write, Susannah.
    And you don’t have to make us chuckle every day. My blog is humorous, but I have a few non-funny posts scattered in there, too. It just makes you more real.