What Would You Do If You Weren’t Afraid

I saw this written in a little window on the facade of an Episcopal Church…it stopped me dead in my tracks.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WEREN’T AFRAID

When I read it, I was in deep reverie over owning a dog. I’ve always wanted one but never felt able to handle an animal I’d be so responsible for where I presently live. As I get older though, my yearning for a four-legged comrade increases to fill that longing in my heart.

If I weren’t afraid..of change…I’d move to Brooklyn, my favorite place in the whole world for its beauty and history. Of course the areas I love are as pricy as where I live now, but the thought of relocating in the land of Brooklyn Bridge and Walt Whitman with a pit called Beau or a basset hound named Min, flood my senses like a warm spring rain.

I’ve recently come to know a basset named Carmela who moved across the street. They let her loll in the entrance way of their handsome townhouse a little while each day where I can pet her through the gate. Could be my imagination, but I think she waits for me to gallop over like a kid to come rub those long, velvety ears that tenderly open when I tell her my troubles. She listens intently looking at me, letting me know, she understands.    get-attachment-1

If I weren’t afraid…of how old and nutty I’d look, I’d grow my hair and let it go gray. No more color once a month…a mere trim twice a year. Yeah I know, long hair ages you, but I wouldn’t care, not being afraid.

If I weren’t afraid…of being judged by others I wouldn’t care what they thought of me. I’d adopt the creed…what you think of me is none of my business. I’d be free to just be myself.

If I weren’t afraid…I’d stop being afraid…of life and her casual curve balls she throws at your head when you least expect it. I’d fearlessly get up every day with a smile on my face to embrace, not dread, what might be coming…

If I weren’t afraid.

This entry was posted in animals, Faith, New York City, Uncategorized, writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to What Would You Do If You Weren’t Afraid

1. That sign would have stopped me too, mostly because my list is a mile long and I’ve been thinking it’s time to start checking some things off.
    Please! Between the name Carmela and those big sympathetic eyes I am in love. I have no doubt she waits for you and enjoys listening. Look at those ears, she was born to listen.
    Oh how I love he creed, but hate that I find it so hard to follow.

Yes, Susannah, fear is often disguised as being cautious or responsible, etc. I’m returning to the workforce, and boy, is that filled with fear. I know you’ll decide to do what is right for you. And only you know what that is.

If I were not afraid, I’d be someone else.
    You know my thoughts on having a dog to come home to. Eight years on; her irrepressible joy every time I come home, still bowls me over.

4. jimmie chew says:

you have nothing to fear, but fear its self.
    go get it and do it all s.b.
    we have one life to live. LIVE IT!

5. katecrimmins says:

This topic is so frightening to think about. My list would read like a bucket list and make me feel like I am letting life go by. You in long gray hair intrigues me. There are some famous women who can pull it off very well. My coloring is for dark blonde hair and it usually doesn’t work so well with gray so I will be friends with Lady Clairol until the end! (Reminds me to put note for undertaker to touch up roots before boxing me up)

6. Vasca Beall says:

Don’t be afraid…go ahead and do some or all of those things you’re afraid of doing. Let your hair go natural…grow it long…it’s your hair, your life. You’re the one who lives it; not someone else. Get out of the boat and walk on water…you might find you’ll love it.

7. I asked my son in law this same question last week. We both had a lengthy conversation about it. I have been thinking a great deal on this also… I have let my hair go without dye since I found out I was going to be a grammy. I am currently growing my hair out until February… just to make my hubby smile (I hate it! Can’t wait until February). I do feel the need for a change somewhere and somehow, but am too scared to take that first step, it’s always the hardest!
    Carmella is perfect! I know she looks forward to seeing you and talking with you… I know I look forward to your posts and she gets to talk with you in person! DAF

• I just saw Carmela and told her she was getting fan mail…she smiled humbly. I think European women have the right attitude. They enjoy their lives without becoming slaves to their looks and age gracefully with smiles all around. I’m so frightened of change I can barely talk about it. I love everything the same, even the parts that aren’t so wonderful. Jimmie Chew is right, we have one life to live…amazing advice from a cat DAF since Jimmie had 9 to begin with. Glad you’re home safe and sound.

8. D. D. Syrdal says:

I’d have a lot more tattoos 😉 Just kidding, probably only one or two more. I’d dye my hair blue, and dress like a goth every day. I’d never work in an office again. I’d tell my boss what I REALLY think of her.