The Can Man And Me

6:45 a.m. corner of 80th and Madison…

There’s a man picking out all the cans and plastic bottles from the corner trashcan. I squeeze around him to mail a letter. He grabs my ankle causing me to almost fall and says, “Don’t even think about it…this is my can.” No, I am not making this up…I look forward to my non-blogging weekends off, but feel it’s mandatory to share this story.

What happened next?

I said, “Please don’t touch me again. That was very rude and unnecessary.” Will Connecticut ever sleep-in for chrissakes? No, forget that his hands were the color of ink and my socks will have to soak in Clorax, if I keep them, till Christmas. His ill-mannered approach was the first thing that came to my half asleep mind, or what’s left of it.

Me being the nut I am, couldn’t help feeling sorry for him and said, “I would never intrude on someone eles’s can, I assure you.” And meant it. Forget I should have called a cop.

As if it was just an ordinary day in the life of Susannah, I continued to the bank to get some cash to treat us both to coffee at Little Nectar.

I’m choked up as I write this because don’t kid yourself, part of me feels like an extreme ass, but the bigger part is happy my heart has so much give. Imagine having to can-collect to put food on your table.

Before he continued on his route, he said, “Thanks lady…I’m sorry I grabbed your ankle. There’s a lot of us you know so when I saw you I just thought…”

“It’s okay,” said I.

Forgive my sudden burst of sanctity, but you do know when God’s in the house.

This entry was posted in humor, Love, money, New York City and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The Can Man And Me

You’re a good egg, Susannah!

2. Then the King will say, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’ (Matt 25:40, The Message)… thank you for today’s lesson, you touched my heart and my spirit. Some preach, some do. Thank you for doing. ❤

• You just gave me a chill. My reactions to things surprise even me. I should have been scared but wasn’t, just put out by bad manners of all things. I always marvel at the can people because it’s a committed profession. And believe me when I say, you have to collect a lot of them to make a few bucks. Breaks your heart. So I had to throw out some socks…big deal DAF 🙂

3. D. D. Syrdal says:

It’s a hard life on the streets. I’m sure he’s rarely, if ever, had someone be kind to him.

4. In San Diego whenever we ate downtown I would have my leftovers boxed and then I would leave them where a homeless person could get them. It is something most people do in San Diego, I don’t see many homeless here, but I know there are some. It is easy to walk by and ignore them. It is another to actually see them and touch their lives. You did that today, I am the one with the chills. Thank you.

• It was only a cup of coffee..I didn’t adopt him DAF so I’m takin no bows..but thanks. Glad the homeless are few where you are. I don’t think this fella was homeless, he was just a can-man. It’s a very busy business.

5. katecrimmins says:

Just this week a friend was telling me how she collected cans when she was going to college. It was the only way she ate some weeks. They are a dedicated group.

• They should unionize. You should see some of them with three or four shopping carts filled to the brim working like bees. I see them early en route to Starbucks. How nice your friend only did it for a little while. Thanks for writing.

6. MJ says:

Missed your post on Thursday, & am so glad you decided to share this today, weekend not withstanding. What a gem!

7. You walk the talk Susannah, that’s what life is all about. This really warmed my heart.

8. MJ says:

My initiation into the fierce ways of the can people happened very late one night when I picked one up (a can, not the collector) that’d rolled across my path on my way home. I was being green & tidy, & hadn’t noticed this Watusi-sized Rasta in the shadows. But he sure made his presence known, yelling “Yo, Bitch!” as he lunged in my direction. I was so terrified I took off like a shot—no fight/flight decision, yet alone soft words to turneth away wrath. I actually live 12 miles west, so it was awhile before I saw the Watusi again, this time pulling a pair of can-laden carts wired together. Such was my enlightenment. A collector, not a psycho.

• It’s quite a thriving enterprise. You see them at the Food Umporium turning them into the big machine. They wait in line for their turn to collect, what I’m sure, is a very paltry sum after working so hard all night. I’m sorry you were frightened. Clearly it’s a competitive business. Thanks for sharing your story. Always makes the piece more interesting.

You are a good person, Susannah.