Cyberly Challenged

kCSXV_GBjei5ifq1lxxg1I1icit_OfbdJTKVmuQH6-_ys_46LACURGc7UJZXSzxidlfhUtY=s85 I recently put athingirl.com on Facebook, something I said I’d never do. I figured, she had a heartbeat of her own that had zip to do with Susannah becoming my justification in doing so.

The site itself remains foreign. I go to my ubiquitous homepage that comes up if I merely blow on it whenever I post, to add the link and a teensy blurb hoping to catch a new reader or two. Has it made a difference? I can’t see much of one since my numbers relatively stay the same. I’m sure, the fact I do this at midnight doesn’t help the cause not being the most propitious time to alert the cyberly inclined.

So far I have 35 LIKES initially making me think, that’s pretty good, until my friend Mary told me she had close t0 2000. Despite my chagrin it made me laugh like hell.

You see, I just want to write. All this self-promoting, preening on the proverbial page is quite time consuming and takes one away from one’s art. Looky here at me just seems like one big bore.

HOWEVER…since any moment I’ll be launching an eBook on Amazon it just seemed like a good idea.

Being the Rainman of cyberspace, images I find Facebook along with Twitter, something else I’ve tried, very much like having a second job. Tweeting especially drove me insane. I know people who Tweet every ten minutes…what they’re doing, what they’re eating…what they think about everything from soup to nuts…and that’s exactly what they are…

NUTS.

I will try, however, to improve my skills. My friend Alex, a wizard on the net, continues to mentor me which simply means, doing what I’m told. www.BlaisePhoto.com

I link, blurb and LIKE when I can find the button on someone else’s page when my own allows it. I never knew a page could be so competitive and bossy. Like an obsessive parent, it doesn’t want me to land anywhere but home.

We need a sit-down Page and me. She needs to understand we hail from Connecticut where manners mind their own. If someone LIKES me I need to LIKE in return or at least send a thank-you note if cyberly can manage it.

Alrighty, 32 Tiffany notes coming up.

But wait a minute, when will I find time to write?

See, that’s the problem…LIKES be damned.

Will you excuse me while I pen essay number 742?

That’s what I really hope you’ll LIKE, not something that isn’t even here yet…like Christmas and New Years.

🙂

This entry was posted in humor, media, New York City, Uncategorized, Women and men, writing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Cyberly Challenged

1. Aussa Lorens says:

Promoting a blog on facebook is way awkward. I try and fail at this.

2. I have 4 likes on my facebook page… yep, you read that right… and I think one of them is my daughter twice… so, actually, I have 3 likes, and to be honest two of those are my daughters, so, they have to like me, so yep, I have one like. I feel blessed if I have 15 people read my blog in one day… I had 66 people view it this past week and I almost had a coronary. Hope you can get some rest tonight… sleep is escaping me, so I am glad you had something new right now. Loved this post, thanks.

Well I like you and I’m far more important than the hoi polloi. 😉
    Remember: Thatcher and Regan were popular. Well followed doesn’t mean good.

4. Joe Owens says:

S I feel your angst. I want simply to write as well, but all those experienced who are hawking their umpteenth books declare that building the complete platform is so vital to today’s writer and their success. I have some friends that hop on over to my blog through Facebook, so i can see that link, but the Twitter piece is just a loss to me. I like your essays and will enjoy another way to catch them. Wishing you well as you carve your chunk of the pie! By the way, thanks again for the guest post!

5. jimmie chew says:

give it time, they need to find you on that face book thing, i did twitter, for a week, so strange, i dont understand it, but you are right, its like a job, cant wait for your ebook!!!!!! 🙂

• My eBook is modest…I’m more excited over Alex’s artwork that is very special. He’s been so wonderful to me. Yesterday he gave me a wonderful box of tea with a big box of Italian cookies for Christmas. So thoughtful.

I’ve actually read that Likes and followers can be bought in large quantities from some sort of weird ‘Pump my numbers’ mill. And I constantly get new followers that only stay for a week. The strange thing is that they never read a post, only visited my home page. So it is obviously some sort of automated ploy to get you to follow them. Well, it didn’t work. If they don’t read a post I know they aren’t real.
    And Susannah, be sure to let us all know when your book is ready. I can’t wait to read it!

• I’m with you Skinny. Who just wants a LIKE…you want a reader who enjoys your prose. I knew someone who would go down her whole follower list on WordPress and hit LIKE just so you’d hit hers. Could not wrap my brain around the logic since there was none. Anyway…we writers just need to write…RIGHT?

Yes indeed! All this Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn….etc. is exactly like having a second job. That is probably why my sequel to ‘Crossing The Line’ is not yet finished. (Gotta lay the blame somewhere. haha) There are just so many hours in the day, but you’d be surprised to see how many people actually are up and out in cyberspace at midnight! Lol I can’t seem to get my Facebook numbers up either. 😦

BTW You just got a new LIKE on FaceBook! If names come up it won’t be under my pen name of Elle though. I haven’t figured out how to make that happen – that’s another of those cyberly challenged things! Congratulations! Your page looks great – mine needs work!

9. katecrimmins says:

All this gives me a headache. I’ve been meaning to start a facebook page for myself just to keep up with family for about 2 years now. Maybe tomorrow.

10. MJ says:

Let it be known: I LIKE athingirl.com. I LIKE that “A New York Diary” is coming soon. Have to put that here since I don’t do social media. Is there a way to add these to your totals like absentee ballots, Susannah? Maybe I wouldn’t count, though, since social media activity is now a vital sign. Heck, even dead people are LIKEing stuff! Although I’ve never Facebooked, Myspaced, Tweeted, et al, I was once very cyber-savvy, and in the early 90’s actually taught computer graphics. For me, it got old fast. The web is the market, but having to practically live in virtual reality is a creative dead end, Someone’s going to have to write a “Real Life for Dummies”.

• You know MJ you’re my kinda girl. Social media is very intrusive to say the least. Whenever I see someone’s name that rings a bell I want to don a wig and put a veil across my face. It makes one feel very exposed, however…it’s the way of the world so I’d say it behooves one to try to accept and maybe be just a wee part of it. Of course, easier said than done.

11. MJ says:

I know, I know…

12. backonmyown says:

I “like” this post but when I clicked like I got some weird message. I don’t remember what it said. You see, I’m cyberly challenged, too. I call myself techno-challenged. Congratulations on your upcoming Amazon launch. I look forward to it.

13. Well, now you have 38 Likes. 🙂
    You never know though, there may be a sudden breakthrough. I published an e-book on Smashwords a while ago and so far have sold 4 copies. But I’m hopeful (I’m also terrible at self-promotion).