New Year’s Eve Dress Rehearsal

I certainly had choices.

One was to stay home with Thomas Jefferson snuggled under the covers before Camille vetoed that idea.

“You’re not staying home. We…you, me and Joanne…are going to The Mark for dinner.” 86_img_01 “We can’t afford The Mark. You said so yourself. We are all overextended.”

“But there are ways we can go economically.”

“This I have to hear.”

“We’ll eat before we go.”

“Excuse me? Who are you Mammy in Gone With The Wind?” Mammy “It makes perfect sense. That way we won’t need appetizers or dessert. And we’ll share everything. You eat like a bird anyway.”

“And what about Joanne who has an appetite like a sumo wrestler?”

“She can eat bread. If we then only have one glass of wine apiece, how much could that cost?”

“One glass of wine…are you for real? That alone Camille makes it a very a bad plan. Let’s just go someplace cheaper.”

“Like where, Three Guys Coffee Shop?”

“We’d at least eat at a reasonable price, and we’d each get a baked potato.”

“Forget it. We’re gonna put on slinky dresses and heels and sit in The Mark’s beautiful dining room and enjoy the sights. Food’s the least of it.” images-1

“Since when?”

I knew there was no talking to her once her mind was made up.

So that’s the plan folks. Have yet to tell Tom we won’t be spending the evening together at Monticello after all, but I’ll see him on New Years Day for sure. Something tells me that one glass of wine is a myth if I’ve ever heard one and no dessert? Camille lives for dessert and The Mark’s pastry chef could give one an instant orgasm just by sniffing his menu.

Did you hear that? That’s me murmuring creme brulee, creme brulee.

Joanne called to ask if she should really have a sandwich before meeting us. What could I say. Yes, and maybe some soup too.

This will be one interesting New Year’s Eve.

Stay tuned.             images

This entry was posted in food, friendship, humor, money, New York City, Uncategorized, women and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to New Year’s Eve Dress Rehearsal

1. Interesting is an understatement….can’t wait to hear about the shenanigans. Cheers! (sip slow)

This should be good, Susannah. And crème brulee is my absolute favorite dessert. Where can I place a bet on the number of drinks? I’m a light drinker and I like more than one at a meal.

3. jimmie chew says:

oh i’m sure Camille will make friends with the table next to you, and who knows what will happen then 🙂 cant wait!
    happy new year s.b..

4. katecrimmins says:

This could be quite an adventure!

5. Arthur Seder says:

Wish you a lovely evening and a spectacular New Year Susannah! I plan to end tonight in bed with Douglas Hofstadter’s “Godel, Escher, Bach”, which I’ve been putting off for 25 years…

6. Ooohhh, will this post have a sequel? I want to hear part 2! Happy New Year… I had chocolate mousse for dessert tonight, were you able to have a creme brulee? That is my all time favorite, but only one glass of wine? I had only three and wanted more…

Well I’m sure you had an interesting New Years Eve dinner and the time was well spent with great friends! Me? We had ham sandwiches, a margarita – or two, and attempted to install that over-the-range microwave that has taken up residence in a corner of our living room! It may get finished tonight! hahaha! BTW your Facebook page is taking shape. I get notifications! Have some serious work to do on mine.

• Facebook eludes me Elle…only created it for this what’s turning into a phantom eBook the rate I’m going. Wrote a little epilogue re New Year’s Eve…like the idea of ham sandwiches and margaritas with a microwave chaser.

8. backonmyown says:

I do, vicariously, enjoy your NY life.

• I do like to write about everything that happens and then some. If I couldn’t write, I don’t know what I would do. Life has taken many odd turns as of late. I always appreciate hearing from you more than you know.

9. backonmyown says: