Minutes From A New York Writer’s Workshop – March

I’m on the number 6 headed downtown. It’s mid morning way past rush hour so I easily get a seat. Having been up most of the night exhaustion led me by the hand causing my eyes to close taking what I refer to as an airplane nap, just on the train.

A kid sitting across from me is screaming at his mother. He wanted her iPhone she apparently was not about to give him. He cried, screamed…stamped his feet. One could say it was an assault on the whole car. Trying desperately to tune him out, I hear him now ask for water that was more of a demand. “GIMME WATER…I WANT WATER….MAAAM.”

My eyes fly open like shades shooting up a window remembering an unopened bottle of Poland Spring in my bag.

I lean over to his mother who’s looking pale and embarrassed and say, “Excuse me, I have a bottle of water,” brandishing it in my hand, “could I offer it to your son?” I did my best to keep the edge out of my voice pretending he wasn’t the kid from hell.

He can’t be more than five or six with the biggest brown eyes cautiously blinking not missing a trick. Hispanic kids often resemble short, handsome men putting this boy in that category.

The mom nods her permission, so I look at this kid and say, “You seem to be having a tough train ride. I’d like to give this to you,” holding up the water, “but you need to promise me something.”

He just kept staring those massive eyes fastened on my face. “Promise me you’ll have a happy day, no matter what.”

Knowing a reply was a long shot, I just forked over the bottle.

Finally, silence…he takes something from his Spiderman backpack that keeps him occupied. Three stops later he and his mother get off. But before they do, he hands me a little folded piece of paper. I wait for them to leave before opening it.

It’s a penciled drawing of a bottle with a smile in its center that says…

Than yu laddee  fram Edwardo

I share it with some of the other riders who all smile.

Kids, even the ones allegedly from hell, are always worth the trouble.

This entry was posted in Family, humor, kids, New York City, parents, Uncategorized, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Minutes From A New York Writer’s Workshop – March

The good samaritan strikes again! It’s a lovely story Susannah. Can you book him in to work on his spelling next? 😉

I love this story, Susannah. And I bet he did have a good day.

3. jimmie chew says:

youre a good egg 🙂

4. A little attention goes a long way. I loved your description of your eyes opening…I could almost hear them shooting up.

5. katecrimmins says:

It’s always surprising the effect kindness has on people, even little ones. Someone else would have yelled at him to shut up. You are a good Laddee.

• This little guy had lungs like Pavarroti. The mother deserves a medal as she held rosary beads. She was probably saying…God…what did I do to get a muchacho like him. Spanish, my second language LOL

6. Jeanette Hamilton says:

Too sweet. I’ll bet that note made your day!

7. We all need some positive attention and when you get it from a lovely lady like you, well, even little men can eat from your hand… you made his day and he will always remember you.

8. That’s so sweet. It’s nice you got something positive from a good deed. That doesn’t happen a lot. I hope he did have a happy day, and I’m sure you helped that a lot.

• Who knows…but as a teacher I will defer to your theory. Hope your first week back at school was a rewarding one. Always nice to see your name come up.

• It was a tiring week, but not bad. For the last 5 school years, I always seem to have one difficult school, but this year (so far) I don’t, so that’s good. I have a lot more commuting on buses though. Looking on the bright side, that’s more time for reading. 🙂

• That’s true. It’s amazing how much reading time you can get in if you remember to pack your book 🙂

• I do most of my reading on buses these days. At least it makes me look forward to the daily commute.

• Next to writing, reading is my favorite thing. When I’m able, I read at the library I belong to for an hour a day. They have a lovely reading room where quiet rules cell phones and computers not welcome. Closest thing to heaven in a 50 block radius. Again, I’m so happy about your book 🙂