Frisbee Jack

Lately, when I run, I’ve been taking a shortcut home through the Great Lawn. It’s a vast swath of green where Central Park holds most of her concerts.

At 7 a.m. it’s more or less gone to the dogs, in a nice way. Every breed imaginable is running and sniffing, their owners in tired tow trying to keep up…leashes over their shoulders, pockets filled with treats. Dogs are allowed to roam free till 9 o’clock and merrily make the most of it.

As I come careening through, I need to slow up so not to have a canine collision since doggies rule the roost. You’ve heard pedestrians have the right of way? So do they at that time of day.

Each morning without fail, I encounter a Border collie toting a dilapidated pink Frisbee. He heads right for me making me think he wants to play, so I stop, reach for the Frisbee just to have him take off, I imagine, laughing his head off.

She fell for it again.

After several days of bait and switch, I decide to turn the tables. Today I didn’t stop, just kept on running, so like any man who likes the hunt, he chased me. How do I know he was a male? Let’s just say he was quite visually obvious in that department. His owner, a placid looking girl wrapped in a maroon peacoat, doesn’t blink an eye..clearly she’s seen this silly sideshow before.

He gets in front of me circling my legs, actually for the first time, letting the Frisbee drop, but I go around him whistling a Carly Simon song…you’re so vain…you probably think this song is about you…apt I thought…and then stop short grabbing the Frisbee. Boy was he surprised when I took off while he cantered hardily alongside me.

Satisfied getting my playful revenge, I gave in and said, “Okay pal, let’s see you go long and wide,” pitching his wet, slimy totem across the Great Lawn where he jumped elegantly in the air catching it in full leap.   images

His owner watched like a coach clocking her player.

I turned to her and said, “He’s really quite the athlete, isn’t he?” And she answered, “Yes he is…that’s why we call him, Frisbee Jack.”

I smiled thinking, what a great name…taking off towards home.

This entry was posted in animals, Home, Love, New York City and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Frisbee Jack

1. I like dogs with quirky personalities like that. He sounds like quite a character. I wonder what he’ll do from now on when he sees you.

2. jimmie chew says:

we had one of those. Elvis, he was good with a ball. dogs rule!

OCD: obsessive compulsive disorder or ordinary collie dog. I live with this madness every day of my life. We took her to Boston yesterday and, much as she can be a pain in the arse, I found my chest puffing out with pride, as she ignores the other dogs fighting their leads to get at her; or when she sits and waits at first command; or comes to heel without her lead.
    You may be interested in a little historical fact I ran across. Apparently, the pilgrim fathers were gaoled in Boston for trying to leave the country without royal consent. I had lunch across the street from the gaol.

• I tried posting Smudge’s picture but WordPress wouldn’t let me…I figured she could be the example of such athletic ability. I did not know about those gaoled pilgrims…I see them with their hats on and buckled boots eating royal gruel.

4. Lynn says:

When our leash free dog park first opened in our area, it was my favourite place to stop for a break in my cycling route just to watch the dogs. They are so freakin’ funny, each of them displaying their own little personality quirks. I am pretty sure Frisbee Jack will now make it his mission to entice you once again:)

5. katecrimmins says:

That is the perfect way to start a day!

6. backonmyown says:

Love the photo. Border collies are incredibly smart.

What a fun dog! He is probably so happy to be free for awhile. For sure he won’t forget you now…he will expect your attention. You seem to have a way with playful men.