Crack Open That Heart, Would You Please?

images-5 I was sitting in Starbucks early in the morning watching a man ask people for change. It was teeming out and I’d say a good fifteen folk passed by without so much as a look. He didn’t even want money…from what I could see he was asking someone to please buy him a cup of coffee from what I call the cheap cart. They’re all over town…little grimy wagons that sell bad coffee and bagels you could injure someone with. We’re talking a buck seventy-five for both items, at best.

Let’s remember this is the Upper East Side, and as these roosters hurry to their gyms and yoga class they could certainly buy someone a bad cup of coffee.

I’m impoverished at this hour half awake, so I only have my trusty Starbucks card with little on it, and some change in my pocket. Hey, I’m lucky I’m not naked, that’s how sleepy I am walking out the door.

After getting madder and madder no one will help this guy, I decide to pull an Ella, a pal of mine who spends her life in service. While he stands on the corner beneath a humungous umbrella, the rain falls harder and harder. I half expect the Ark to pull up to see if he needs a ride.

Then his umbrella breaks.

He, turned out to be a she, all of seventeen when I poked my head out to motion for her to come inside.

Pretty as a doll, dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt, I asked her if I could buy her a cup of coffee, not even sure I had enough on my card to do so. Now I’m pissed that I’m probably going to embarrass both of us when the snotty cashier tells me, nope, you don’t have enough.

I kindly explain this to the girl who nods and orders a tall, small in Starbuck’s lingo, while I hold my breath. Yes, I still have coffee money. Then I decide to go for broke, probably literally. “Is there enough for a bagel?” Then I realize I didn’t even ask her if she wanted one.

“Would you even like a bagel?”

“Yes, please,” she says, flashing dimples I hadn’t seen before.

I look at snotty who looks at me like a croupier with a secret button under the counter.

“Yup, you have enough.” Whew…was I glad I didn’t have to negotiate for a baked good, something I was all prepared to do.

The girl thanked me while I left thinking, I’m sure glad I have a friend like Ella who always comes to mind in a situation like this one. I can hear her whisper…go ahead SB, help her out.

It’s a pity there weren’t more hearts like Ella’s, then I’d still have money on my Starbucks card.

This entry was posted in friendship, humor, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Crack Open That Heart, Would You Please?

Maybe you should bpen and soup kitchen?

Sorry: too early for typing! Try again: Maybe you should open a soup kitchen?

3. katecrimmins says:

You are such a good person! I bet she had an interesting story. Sometimes people in need had the most interesting stories to tell.

I know someone who rarely, if ever, does a selfless deed. He says, yeah, you get a star in your crown when you do a good deed but ya gotta die before ya get the crown. I say, yer gonna die anyway so do the good deed. Keep up the good deeds…you are shinig already.

Or shining which ever suits you. šŸ™‚

Oh, Susannah. Makes me so sad that someone so young is in a situation like that. As for anyone getting sick of your good deeds, ignore them. They’re probably just miffed that you’re making them feel a teensy bit guilty. One of my sister-in-laws (by marriage on my sweetie’s side) once called him and me ‘yuppie do-gooders’. And it was NOT said as a compliment. We never knew we were yuppies, so funny.

7. Susannah, I actually read this back when you posted it, but it was on my phone and I couldn’t comment on it. That was a great thing you did. Even something small can make all the difference to someone in need like that.

8. The links to your essays, I mean, sending traffic back to your blog.

• Forgive me, I don’t understand what you mean.

• The site reddit.com is a place to share links of all sorts. Members of the site vote up or down on things they like (or don’t like). It’s used by a lot of people, so there’s the potential for a link that’s shared there to be viewed a lot. For instance, I posted a link to my most recent story there and it tripled my views for today in less than an hour. It doesn’t always happen like that, but it’s good place to share things if you want more exposure. I’ll try it and see if you get a lot more views. šŸ™‚

• You’re not kidding…I’m reeling here.

• Yeah that was my reaction too the first time I posted something there. šŸ™‚

• I registered but already hit a glitch…and the one comment I got was an insult…he said he just felt like he read an idiot’s diary. OMIGOD. Naturally I picked up the rope and swatted back.

• that’s one thing about the site i should have warned you about. I’ve gotten similar comments on stuff I’ve posted. It can be a lot less civil than WordPress sometimes. But it’s all exposure. šŸ™‚

• Wow…well it’s okay…but I would never be so insulting…I’d just say nothing…tell me, can you only put up an essay a day? Like what’s on the blog? They’re telling me I must be new because I have to wait before submitting again. Even Reddit is a contorl freak.

• that’s to stop spammers. if you confirm an email address to prove you’re real, I think you can post every 5 minutes.

• Just figured that out..boy, gotta go to Yale to cyber succeed…hope you’re on your way home.

• Wanted to thank you again for yesterday…I had the best time watching those numbers rise though I got no comments except for the mean one. I put up 2 more that didn’t do as well. I wonder what you do that got such a tremendous response. What category it was under…I put mine under funny…I guess their funny differs from mine…thanks again David, and I loved Drowning Day. Hope you’re knees are better.

• No problem, Susannah. Blog posts rarely get many comments there, I think, and don’t worry about the negative ones. Anonymity lets the worst in people out sometimes. The key is an compelling title, although one reason for negative comments is if people don’t think the title matches the content. The one I used was “Model fights with woman with balls the size of melons”. It put it under r/funny too. Funny is a good place to try, although the usual posts under there are images or much shorter text, so sometimes longer pieces won’t get much attention.
        I’m home now and the knee is doing okay, although still stiff. Thanks for asking. šŸ™‚

• So glad you’re home…hospitals give me chills…now you’ll get to relax, write and read. Seeing almost 500 hits was an aberration but tickled me just the same. I loved your opening line…made me laugh.

• I put an essay up this morning and not one person read it…they must have tried me out and gonged me…oh well…I still have you. LOL

• Things are being posted all the time, so if it doesn’t get up-voted quickly, it quickly gets buried in all the other ones. I’m sure there’s a whole system to getting maximum views, but I’m relatively new to it myself.

• It’s okay. I’m just curious since when you did it it went off the charts and the piece this morning…Sex Across A Crowded Room, I thought was funnier than the essay yesterday…I forget comedy is so subjective.