BITCH

This is a bitchy post, if you will, but I’m on a tear.

I’ve decided I really prefer men over women.

Not all, but a good many of them.

Men are known to cheat and lie, but for the most part they’re never maliciously mean, at least that’s been my experience. Quite often ingenuous and stupid come into play more than…I’m out to get her, no matter what.

That said…

It began with my mother who wasn’t much of one, although if you saw how she fussed over me with food and proper dress, you would have disagreed. The truth is, she didn’t like me very much. I know that sounds odd, a mother not liking her child, but it became obvious the moment I began to bloom. Rather than a budding daughter I became a creeping competitor. Considering your mother’s your first role model, boy, did I get gypped.

Then we had my best friend in high school who had an affair with my first boyfriend. I actually walked in on them doing it on her canopied bed while Led Zeppelin blared in the background. On top of the indiscretion, she clearly wanted me to know since she left the door wide open. As many years ago as that was, the image has never left me…she on top clad in his favorite football jersey while he moaned, don’t stop…don’t stop.

I refer to that as an indelible pain even alcohol can’t dull.

Since then, with the exception of a few special women many I’ve written about, I’ve chosen men as confidants feeling more comfortable in doing so.

Of course the women in their life aren’t always thrilled. I lost a close friend last spring because of something horrible his girlfriend did that placed him in the middle. The loss for me was great and can still be felt, but it certainly confirmed what I already knew…women can be mean and ruthless… images-2 and they bite too.

To my credit, I always try to befriend a man’s love interest to show I’m no threat. But I remember writing in an earlier essay, Quasi Modo’s wife would naturally think you’re after Quasi. Women are just so afraid of losing their man, and yes, that’s always a possibility, but to automatically assume everyone’s a predator is unfair.

Just recently I saw a lady on the Avenue who to this day thinks I had a fling with a fella she was with twenty-five years ago. I didn’t, but she still doesn’t believe it seething as she slithered by. Imagine carrying that resentment around all this time. She’s lucky with a weight that size to be able to even walk straight.

He was a friend…though not anymore since she took care of that two and half decades ago attacking me like a mad cat. images-3

Another woman whose boyfriend is a great pal, recently wrote something so unkind I’m still reeling from it. I know enough not to take the bait after what happened with my other friend, because if I erupt, something I’m dying to do…bye-bye friendship. A man will always take the woman who feeds him and does his laundry…and as much as I want a pal, I’m not about to separate his whites.

Just because I’m single doesn’t make me a piranha. Despite my mother’s blatant bad behavior around married men, I’ve learned, after much trial and error, to keep my mitts off, even if a couple isn’t married.

5wD8hPLkWApqDoLax90L3paKQ-mTbQDh_Xyiq9dIsHh5d9FrW5W3CyNcJQTP4qAmCR7v=s85 Jean Harlow once said, going after a married man is like shopping in a secondhand store. She died at 26, so she didn’t have a lot of time to alter her outlook, but it makes an impression just the same.

Envy, jealousy, fear…if women would just focus on themselves more, because that’s when you’re most attractive not just to men but the whole world, they wouldn’t have time to be cruel, for sport, to their innocent peers.

Food for thought.

This entry was posted in Cinema, Family, sexual relationships, Uncategorized, women, Women and men, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to BITCH

Yeah, Susannah, I’ve seen the same scenario of new girlfriend thinks you want to be more than the friend you’ve always been. Sometimes the friendship continues, sometimes it can’t.
    On the other hand, I can’t begin to count all the males who have told me that NO guy ever wants to be just friends. Which news, correct or not, probably feeds the new girlfriend’s fears. And the fact that you’re a model is probably threatening to many girlfriends with a muffin top.

• I’m an old model with bald tires Skinny…really. My femme fatale days are over. I can’t tell you how many times women are rude to me, for sport I like to say. I’m the nicest person in the world. I’d jump off a bridge to quell my lust before taking someone’s man.

2. jimmie chew says:

it is a shame we cant be friends isnt it, i too have a hard time with women.and i’m always so nice and giving to all my friends but women just are too bitchy and stab me in the back, i learned way too many lessons. i gave up.

• Not all your friends Jimmie…I being one…M and J two more. But it is an ongoing issue on some level. I don’t make new girlfriends any more. You are one of the most recent. I’m still so upset by the girl who edited for me who wants nothing more to do with me. I’ve written to her asking why and she’s blown me off. Women…part of me wishes I was born a man.

A challenging subject: much food for thought here.
    I wonder whether we all feel the need to compete, even when there’s nothing to compete for? Could that be why we invented sport? So maybe Mrs Modo isn’t scared of losing Quasi so much as scared of losing? Anyway, Quasi would always get his own back (sorry: I couldn’t resist).
    I generally prefer the society of women over men. Putting make-up and fashion aside for a moment (which isn’t always easy), I find them much more practical and honest. I do get tired of testosterone fuelled bravado. Also, women are so amusing when they’re being bitchy. Men (or straight men anyway) just can’t do it.
    My missus went through a phase of feeling threatened by my girly pals. Then Nicky told her I was harmless, and she’s taken pity on me ever since. I wasn’t overly flattered by that but, hey, you can’t have everything.

• She just knows how much you love her Mick. Even I know that and I’m across he sea. Like your Quasi Modo line. That’s one of my favorite stories..the end kills me every time.

4. Nephila says:

I wonder what you think of the men who cheat, and re women who cheat and the women who want and abet the men cheating? I wonder how you behave that makes the women you complain of not like you? Because this post doesn’t really show much insight. I have a lot of close friends married and single men and women. I have been single myself and never had this problem with women. But someone I know (who had an affair with my husband) was always complaining that women didn’t like her and were nasty to her. She put it down to jealousy of course. But I have to wonder, did they not like her because they saw her true character?

• Before I begin, I love your little bird…every man I’ve ever been with cheated on me…my theory is, I was too kind and ended up boring them. I have a friend who’s a hellion and her men kneel at her feet. As far as other women not liking me…I’m an old girl who still turns a head and it’s a pity one’s character doesn’t show the way her legs and cheekbones do, but alas, that’s the way it is.

Do you want me to tell you that I’m like the girl who had an affair with your husband? Would that make you feel better. Just asking?

5. katecrimmins says:

Once I had a great male friend. He had a softer side and was quick witted. I loved that about him. He had a wife and she was ok with it (no sex or anything, just friends who saw each other mostly at work or other events that we attended separately). Then they divorced. We were both single at the time and although we occasionally accompanied each other to things we never dated. Enter new girlfriend. Exit guy friend. Although he and I were single for close to 10 years at the same time and nothing happened, she wasn’t having any of it. What a pity. She could have been my friend too.

6. I’ve heard similar things from other women, about how women can be meaner than men. I don’t have much experience with vindictive women, but I can see how that could definitely be true. I have a lot of female friends, since I had two sisters and am comfortable around women, although being married, I can’t hang out with them like I do my guy friends. 🙂 My wife trusts me, but that doesn’t mean she’s not naturally jealous too.

• I suppose it varies from situation to situation. I’ve have lots of trouble being single for so long. Got this comment yesterday from a first timer basically saying, the woman who fucked her husband used to say the same thing…like I’m a hussy in disguise. I answered but she didn’t. Oh well…she also said the piece wasn’t very insightful. A woman…therefore I rest my case.