Do You Know Where Your Daughter Is?

It’s 5 a.m. on a rainy Monday morning. I’m hurrying to the subway having to meet a van downtown at 6.

You’re all probably wondering how safe the train is at this hour. Very safe, since so many people in the hotel and restaurant business are headed for work. And I’m very careful to walk on the doormen side of Park Avenue on my way there.

As I round the corner of 78th Street, in front of the florist not yet open, I see three teenage girls that clearly have been out all night.

Stringy hairdos against streaked mascaraed faces give them away.

As I hurry by I hear, “Excuse me, excuse me, hull-ooo.” I turn around.

The one staggering a bit says, “Da-ya know where we could get somethin?”

“Like what, another drink?” I shouldn’t have said this but found her slur challenging.

“Noooo…fa-ood sil-lee.” I can’t begin to tell you how angry seeing her makes me. Where the hell are her parents, and why is she standing there with her teenage tits hanging out at such an hour asking me where to go eat?

Then the second of the three said, “Ya know if a pizza place is open?” She at least didn’t slur or wobble despite her stupid question.

“It’s 5 in the morning, ” I say, trying to change my tone. “If you go up six blocks there’s a Starbucks open, but it’s too early for anyplace else.”

“A-kay,” said bachelorette number three.

I watch them hold each other up on shaky stilettos, swaying up Lex like drunken sailors.

It bothers me all the way downtown. This is New York, not Idaho. Three girls prey to all that is evil.

They are young, pretty and clearly stupid hailing from the Upper East Side so they’re also privileged assuming, nothing bad could ever happen to them.

And if it did, Daddy will fix it.

Not if you’re dead in a hallway he can’t there Muffy.

I’ll never understand parents in regards to their kids. Why were these three out all night at barely sixteen?

Every parent should be made to watch the Liam Neeson film Taken. It’s not a great movie by any means, but the subject matter…stealing kids to sell…will smack them right across their snooty, entitled faces.

You pick up the paper. The stories are hellish. How can you not keep track of where your children are?

A mystery to this childless woman who would kill to have a son or daughter to raise, worry about and ground till they’re thirty.

This entry was posted in Family, kids, Love and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Do You Know Where Your Daughter Is?

It does make you wonder, doesn’t it? My youngest daughter used to sneak out at night and it took me quite a while to catch on. But I doubt all three girls snuck out. They may have each said they were spending the night at the other’s home.

• I’m sure, but with all the stories one reads every day, you’d think there would be more hands-on supervision. Am I being naive Skinny? Again, it’s New York City, not some little town in the Midwest where people leave their doors open.

2. Lynn says:

I asked this question myself to a friend of mine whose profession involves interaction with kids. There were about 10 of us having a discussion about kids that are out of control.

When it was clear we were all in agreement in regards to behavior & rules, I posed the question, but if we are all sitting here agreeing that this is unacceptable, who are these kids that are so out of control?

She answered by saying, “Lynn, you are sitting here with a group of your peers who share similar morals & values. You are under the impression that all parents give a damn. I am here to tell you, sadly, that is not the case.”

Her words stayed with me over the years as we were raising our children. I witnessed many times young people putting themselves in dangerous situations. I couldn’t help but ask myself if their parents even cared?

• That is so sad, but I’m afraid she’s right. We have proof all the time, like those 3 kids. You should shave een them, drunk, high, stumbling around.

The Pollyanna in us Lyn shake our heads in wonder, but your friend hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for writing this…it enhanced the piece.

3. katecrimmins says:

It wouldn’t have happened in my home. My Mom had eyes on the back of her head and antenna coming out of the top of it. She could tell if your underwear was soiled by a foreign substance or you bra was linked incorrectly. I never even tried to pull one over on her because it wouldn’t work.

4. I was that obnoxious mother who, when cell phones came out, called her daughter every second until she hung up. Each call I made had a message to go with it. It started easy, then angry, then determined, “I will keep calling you until I hear from you. If you do not want to be bothered, then pick up. I am holding you accountable to keep me posted as to your whereabouts. It is way past the time when reasonable people are home behind a locked door. Remember I do not know all your friends and for all I know you are laying dead in an alley. I will repeat this message until I hear from you.” Of course, she was well over the age of 18, but still living under my roof and I was still pacing the floor. Yes, I was the obnoxious mother who pushed her boundaries. I would not change anything. So much can happen after midnight and it is stupid to think that because girls are in a group, they are safe. I would have been much more in their face than you. Sorry for the long response… it’s just me, DAF

I suppose they could argue there is some safety through being in a party of three, but I take your point. “O tempora o mores”

I hate to admit it but I’ve had 2 that I know of sneak out. The oldest when we lived in a small town in Louisiana – technically out on a long country road. Where did she go? Just a short way down the road to her friends house. Town was 10 miles away! I found out years later! Thank goodness nothing happened. Now in Florida, Andrew snuck out one night and went to his girlfriends about thirty miles away. Took my car! H’s mom was in the hospital and we got a late night call to go. Walked out and no car. I sent him a text and told him if he knew what was good for him he better be home when we returned! He was and never ventured out like that again. He was lucky his dad had other things on his mind! Yep those girls probably have a neat and tidy story!

• I didn’t realize you were in Louisiana. I guess maybe, not being a parent, I’m not realistic enough. I just know I’d worry so much about them. Nice you’re a mom and have good tales to tell.

• Elle Knowles says:

I’m from Louisiana and H is from Florida. We are in Florida now. For 10 years. I don’t know if these were such good tales! It’s not something you want to broadcast – Your kids sneaking past you. What’s done is done and hopefully they learned from their mistakes.

• Well, she wasn’t out drinking…there’s a difference here. And boys always take their parent’s car out for a joyride. The point is, you weren’t permissive, she was clever. I’m sure the parents of these 3 girls knew they were out and didn’t care, It’s different, You just didn’t know 🙂

• Elle Knowles says:

Yes, and I have come across my share if permissive parents. What are they thinking – or rather they aren’t thinking’

• I’m still sorry I was never a mom…But I can live vicariously through you 🙂