A Literary Muse

Being rich is not about how much money you have or how many homes you own; it’s the freedom to buy any book you want without looking at the price and wondering if you can afford it.

John Waters.

I love this quote.

I know people with multiple homes and cars who travel like Columbus still bleating misery oozing from their well-tended pores. They have books strewed all over their duplexes and triplexes they’ve never opened, bought merely as decor.

I have an acquaintance who gets the New York Times Book Review every Sunday just to see what’s on the Best Seller list so she can hurry out to buy them for her coffee table that, by the way, doesn’t read either.

She has diamonds for day and bigger ones for night. A maid sleeps in, just so she can help madam undress before retiring as if she were Marie Antoinette (and we know what happened to her).

The woman has everything under the sun except the pure experience of lolling between the pages of a great biography or historical novel.

I can’t imagine how I’d be never reading Pride & Prejudice or being given a copy of the latest Doris Kearns Goodwin when I couldn’t afford it myself. I remember how happy it made me to feel, its weight on my lap knowing it belonged solely to me and I didn’t have to return it in three weeks time to the library.

I actually leave it out where I can see it ( The Bully Pulpit), Teddy and Taft gracing the cover.

To buy books with sheer abandonment is on my Christmas list. Not a trip to the Riviera with nothing to read but the directions on my prescription drug vials.

3919205ebda1afcd0b4e9a2618c116dc

Roger that.

This entry was posted in Books, humor, writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to A Literary Muse

Well, of course I agree with you, but it wouldn’t do for us all to be the same. There would be nothing worth writing about!

2. Allaballa says:

I like the library cos you can have as many books as you want, any time. It’s free retail therapy. I love it!

3. Allaballa says:

Ps, I think you would know a person well before you slept with them, so you probably wouldn’t get along well enough to want to sleep with them if they didn’t have any books. Or you could teach them the joy of books! Take them to the library or the book store and show them what they’re missing!!

4. katecrimmins says:

I started reading young. My parents read. It’s a habit or behavior that I found satisfying early on. I read all the books in the library at my little Catholic school (they were all biographies of the saints, many of whom died in the most bizarre way). I read Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys and then I graduated to the LARGE books. Michener’s Hawaii was my favorite as a teenager because I could relate to some primal piece of it. I would read all the best sellers. Now I don’t read as much but it’s an eye issue. My eyes tire easily so I read until they scream.

• katecrimmins says:

Oh yes, I have found that people who read have a better vocabulary and are generally better writers.

• If I’m repeating myself, forgive me…but a friend of mine who’s a teacher, told me this great tale about Stephen King who came to his school to talk to the students. The first thing he did was take a dog-eared paperback from his back pocket and say, “If you want to read, you have to read.” He said he never goes anywhere without a book.

Isn’t that a great thing to tell a bunch pf young people?

• I loved Nancy Drew…she was my first heroine…sorry about your eyes…mine tire too…I find if I read in a chair it’s better than bed…Hawaii…don’t think I ever read that…will get from the lib.

Reading Ragtime, and boy,is it great…don’t want it to end…sigh.

5. Arthur Seder says:

Couldn’t agree more with you and John. The library is great but I’m glad to OWN books (those I’ve read and those I’m going to read πŸ™‚ and have them spilling off my shelves!

6. I just love that quote from John…it’s perfect. I bet you wish you were that coffee table!

When we downsized to a smaller home I got rid of a lot of my books because there was simply no room…now I miss them…hopefully they have gone to a good home. I didn’t want them put in storage to sit in a dusty box and not be read!

8. Pingback: The Unstoppable Outcome Of Reading And Music | knowleselle

I love looking at my bookshelves of read and reread books. Instant memories. The only book I was never able to finish (back around 1975), and believe me I tried, was The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. So many people died getting the information out that I felt guilty not finishing it. I kept pecking away at it, but two thirds through the book I just couldn’t keep track of all the names. It had to be the driest book I ever encountered. I still feel bad that I didn’t finish it.

• If a book doesn’t overtake me by the 4th chapter…bye bye. I used to feel compelled to finish one no matter what, but I blissfully got over that. There are too many great ones without wasting your time on something flat and ineffectual. My opinion Skinny…all two cents worth πŸ™‚