Joan Rivers 1933 – 2014

imagesimages-2joanrivers  My mother loved her…would inform anyone who’d listen…that the little girl from Larchmont is the guest host on Johnny Carson tonight.

It was the only time she stayed up…when Joan was on.

I felt very sad when my friend Amy wrote to tell me she had died. Yesterday I was so optimistic when I heard she was so ill…that somehow she’d pull through.

She had conquered many things in her 81 years from succeeding in a predominantly male profession to surviving her husband’s suicide in 1987. Of course she’ll rally…it’s Joan after all.

My heart breaks for Melissa, her only daughter, who bravely took her off life support. They moved her from the ICU at Mount Sinai Hospital to a private room decorated by a good friend so those who loved her could come say good bye. I held it together until I read they brought her dogs.

I used to see her on 62nd Street, where she lived, walking Spike, her beloved Yorkshire Terrier she had for eighteen years. She was tiny, like a petite well-dressed doll, something you wouldn’t expect from a force so tremendous.

The late David Brenner, Melissa’s godfather, once told me what an amazing friend she was, especially when you weren’t at your best. She’d be the first one to call, the first at your door.

It’s hard to believe in one year they’re both gone.

I can only hope wherever we go when we depart this earth, it’s to a galaxy where what we love continues. In the little girl from Larchmont’s case, it was being funny…so I’m gonna bet she’ll sell out heaven in a heartbeat, and David will be there to escort her to the stage.

“Ladies and Gentleman, Angels and Saints….The One and Only….Miss Joan Rivers.”

I’d like to dedicate this post to my friend Amy who loved Joan.

This entry was posted in animals, comedy, Family, humor, Love, New York City, women, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Joan Rivers 1933 – 2014

1. Amy says:

Thank you Susannah, means a lot to me. I did love her.

• Awe…after you told me, I came home and wrote…a minor tribute to such an amazing talent. She paved the way for so many people…women comics everywhere, far and wide, should bow their heads and genuflect.

I’ve always liked Joan’s irreverent sense of humor. She seemed like such a fun, but naughty friend to have.

Not many could have an audience hanging on her every (outrageous) word like Joan. She is a sad loss. I can’t help but wonder what Joan would have to say about her passing. Alas, I am not comic enough to put words in her mouth.

4. backonmyown says:

I appreciate your heartfelt tribute. She was one of a kind.

5. katecrimmins says:

I did love her. She said exactly what I was thinking!

• Many times, me too…she was very courageous and took a lot of guff for it. She felt if you look at anything with humor, it will help get you through…she made jokes about Anne Frank yet had a tattoo that said 6M…for the 6 million Jews lost in the Holocaust. She was charitable, paid health insurance for those who couldn’t afford it. Delivered food to the home bound on Thanksgiving. I’m weeping as I write this.

6. manty67 says:

Lovely tribute x

• Hey stranger…thanks…could have written more, but there’s so much out there…just penned what I remembered personally. So are those diaries of yours still boxed in the attic? Are you writing???

Hope so 🙂

• manty67 says:

Hi, diaries still in the attic, stopped writing for awhile, but I’m just getting back into it as of yesterday. Sometimes it’s just so hard to put my thoughts into words, so I close down for a while and then reboot lol

• Rebooting…I like that. I couldn’t write for a week and when I could again, it felt fresh and airy, at least to me. Glad you’ve rebooted 🙂

7. throughout this summer with the death of these people who have brought us laughs, I have thought of you. I have been away from my blog for too long, and today, I am back. I am about to write about my summer. Know you have not been far from my heart or thoughts and I have missed you, your comments and your writing. DAF