To Be A Kid Again

images This morning while stretching on what I like to call an Olmstead/Vaux Bridge (Fredrick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux were the creators of Central Park), I noticed a kid, no more than 6, swinging from a low tree branch.

It more than made me smile wishing I had a camera.

He was in jeans and a bright green shirt happily dangling, his little sneaks not touching the ground. I could hear his mother yelling something to him…probably to be careful, or to stop harassing that tree…an admonishment appropriately maternal.

It also got me to pay heed to the view I have every morning. Dog Hill sloping before me as a dozen or more four-legged inhabitants run relays across its still verdant lawn.

Owners in quorums coffee cups in hand, discussing the events of the coming day.

Nature herself is pretty impressive since she’s still flush with color and bloom. I sigh when I think, any minute the trees will be bare, the grass a dull brown.

I’m just not ready for winter hoping an Indian Summer will show up to prolong putting away my shorts.

The kid on the flying sycamore is still jumping up to catch that branch after taking a good long breather. His arms may have gotten tired, or he just waited for his mom to look the other way.

To be a kid again just for a morning, would do us all a great deal of good.

How do I know?

You should have heard that little boy giggle. Made me want to find my own bough to happily swing from.

This entry was posted in animals, Beauty, humor, New York City, parents and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to To Be A Kid Again

Susannah, if you should decide to swing from a branch be sure to swing with your hands, not dangling by your legs upside down. The branches are rough and you will fall on your head. Also make sure you don’t have a dress on, your undies will get exposed before you fall. Been there, done that.

Yep, to be a kid again and when we were kids we wished to be adults. The only solution is to be happy adults which you seem to be!

Ah yes, how we all long for those innocent times, when a tree was all we needed for entertainment, and “in bed with a tranny” meant listening to the wireless.

4. katecrimmins says:

I loved swinging from anything when I was a kid. Now I get motion sickness! Growing up is not for sissies!

5. Lynn says:

We could all benefit from seeing the world through the eyes of a child. We sometimes take life way too seriously!

Not long ago, I went frog hunting with a 7 year old at the cottage. Mismatched clothing, rubber boots & lots of giggles…the best!

At the risk of seeming like I am self promoting, I wrote a little something awhile back that I think you might like. Here’s the link for quick reference:)

• I’m on it Lynn…will read now…frog hunting…should have taken Kate with you…lol

• Lynn says:

Perhaps Kate can join us next time. Those buggers are so quick! I could hear them mocking me as I attempted to pounce on the them. The 7 year old was like lightening, he was on them before they even knew it!

I must confess though, the animal lover in me let them all go when the wee lad was safely tucked in bed. The frogs were looking a little peaked & some of our lakes up here are just re-establishing the frog population. We created a crime scene, making it look like something (the wind/a raccoon/a drunken adult) must have knocked over the chair, thus knocking over the bucket of frogs, causing them to hop madly back to the lake. He was a little disappointed, bu I think he bought it!

• He’ll understand one day, and of course you did the humane thing…now is he the one in the pictures? I though it was a she…

• Lynn says:

No, separate incident. Frog hunting with the 7 year old boy. A day in the park with wee Sweet Pea who is a 2 year old girl;)

• Lucky, lucky you…ribbet…ribbet.

6. We all need to get out and swing from a tree sometimes. 🙂 There are things I miss about being a kid and some things I don’t. The things I miss are climbing trees, playing in ball pits and making sand castles, and actually I do all of those still, except going into ball pits.

• A friend of mine who’s in his late 60s, sent me a picture of himself on the beach buried in sand…I got the biggest kick out of it…like he’ll always be 12 in both our eyes.

So nice to hear from you. Miss you David.

• I should be mostly back now. It might take me some time to get back to my regular posting but I’ll be reading regularly again now that I’m settled into my new job and mostly into a routine. It’ll be easier when we finally get Internet at our house.

• I’m so happy to hear that…I know it was hard for you not to be settled. Yay!!! Friday Fictioneers…here we come 🙂

It always lifts the spirits to see children actually being children and not miniature adults.

8. Little boys and trees are a match made in heaven. Why does pure joy from simple pleasure have age limits? I’ve passed by too many opportunities to hang from a branch in my life and this is a wonderful reminder to stop.