Before The Fall

706175-Baby019I went out this morning wearing a blazer wishing it were a coat wondering, what in hell happened to Indian summer?

It’s not that I’m anxious to be sweltering, arguing with the air-conditioner who wants to be turned on, but it feels odd for September to be November.

To sum it up…I’m fucking freezing.

I’ve always found comfort in the changing of seasons. The heat of July and August forming condensation in the crease of my arms and behind my knees.

The way my hair frizzes and flips in the back like a little kid’s, along with the smell of sunscreen commingling with humidity.

When autumn finally appears it usually knocks first rather than come busting through the front door.

Perhaps now people will see Global Warming is not just a rumor. Of course everyone’s thrilled it hasn’t been hot, but is the the Reader’s Digest version of a season really the way we want to go?

If nothing else, what about nature who has to be so confused…should I bloom, sprout, wilt or wither…store, save, hibernate or hide? You can practically hear the geese…we usually procreate months from now but boy, does that crisp though balmy air make me amorous…honk honk.

Rather than spring they’ll be giving birth in winter, and you know how that will go.

My life, on a personal level is changing at the speed of light, so I need a late summer like a buoy in the water to rely and rest upon.

I’m not ready to break out my layers…trade in my espadrilles for Uggs….jacket verses hoodie. I’m still in shorts and T-shirt mode and…who needs underwear on such a warm day. I’m pissed I hauled out my flannel PJs because last night my legs got cold longing to sleep naked by the open window. If I hadn’t put them on, I would have had to thaw, like a roast from the freezer.

I do hope Indian summer at least makes a cameo, so my hair will frizz and flip like old times, and I can be Lady Godiva for a little while longer.

This entry was posted in animals, Beauty, humor, New York City and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Before The Fall

I know where you’re coming from: it’s just the same here. I’m kicking the wife and the douvet off one minute, then cuddling up the next. I can’t be doing with all four seasons in one night.

It is absolutely freezing up here in the north country – waaay upstate NY. We only consider upstate NY to be above Albany, and laugh at cities below Albany that think they fit the criteria. I’m walking around in the house with a heavy sweater on. I refuse to turn the heat on while our pool is still open.

• That’s funny Skinny…the pool is still in progress while you’re in wool. Love that image. Yes, i just came in and it has warmed up a tad, but not too much.

I want summer back…I do. Maybe we should picket the park so nature gets the message.

You want warmth? Come to Florida! I wish I could bottle some of our humidity and send to you. A drop a day and you have all the hair frizz you want! 😉

4. Nabilla says:

I have missed commenting 🙂 been reading some of your posts on and off – congrats on that book I saw published recently!

5. katecrimmins says:

Loved the topic but I love the way you express it. The words are appropriate and the phrases unusual! Love your writing! As for summer, that bitch better get back here before I find her and give her the thrashing of her life! I am not ready for wool.

6. AF says:

loved this post! “… but is the the Reader’s Digest version of a season really the way we want to go?” really made me laugh!

I think Indian Summer comes after a frost. So if it is cold now there will Indian Summer before winter sets in. Teddy and I like a little chill in the air…not really cold but sweater weather.

8. It seems like there was about two days between us using the AC and freezing. We’re in a brand new house that is just now being finished, so the gas wasn’t hooked up for the furnace until Monday. It was pretty cold in there over the weekend with no heat at all. I hope Indian summer can come back for a few more weeks for you.

9. Air on. Air off. Coat on. Coat off. Mother Nature needs to make up her fucking mind!! Boots in the morning sandals in the afternoons seems to be the trend around these parts.