Why Writers Need Editors

imagesΒ  Yesterday, after posting, I realized I had misspelled a word, in my title, of all places. I immediately corrected it of course, but my followers who get notified via email the second I post, would see this colossal mistake.

You would have thought I burnt the house down the way I berated myself for a simple error. The few who emailed me to say…wow…you really fucked up this morning…didn’t help either. I made a mistake…big deal… it’s not the end 0f the world.

Writers who can afford them have editors, a reason they’re graciously thanked so often in their book acknowledgements. Their eye, unlike most writers when it comes to their own work, is cleaner…like a jeweler’s.

By the way, editors when they publish, also have editors.

As far as spelling goes, read the letters between Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald. It’s as if two third graders wrote to one other. We’re talking about the authors of The Great Gatsby and Movable Feast, and believe me, they both had copy-editors.

I’m writing this not just for my benefit, but for any writer who tends to beat themselves up for a common grammatical error or occasional misspelled word.

It’s okay.

The important thing is we write, and one day, we’ll all have money in our pockets to pay someone to peruse our chapters to snip those loose threads we hadn’t noticed…

I guess because we were just too busy writing.

And in the meantime, we will merely have to bask in the grace of loving what we do πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Books, humor, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Why Writers Need Editors

I understand your chagrin at a typo completely. I’m the same way. And yet I’m able to overlook the occasional misstep in others. As you know, we’re our own harshest critic.

2. Crystal L. says:

We all do it occasionally. I know I do. I blog from my phone, at the moment, you should see what happens when I don’t catch what Autocorrect has done!

It’s like being caught naked. Sure, everyone knows I have a body (of sorts), lurking under my clothing, but having it on display is a different mind game altogether. Like you, I can feel my toes curling up when I find I’ve published a schoolboy’s error. Oh, the shame!
    A trick I use, in the absence of endless funds and/or a tame editor, is to delay publishing for an hour, then revisit and challenge everything on a re-read. This method is quite time consuming but it does tend to root out the howlers.

4. vondrook says:

Wut yoo say is very troo.

5. katecrimmins says:

Shucks! I missed your colossal booboo! I get downright neurotic when I do grammar errors. I follow another blogger who writes books and her blog is loaded with errors. In her case, English is her second language so I forgive all. As you say, what’s important is that we write.

6. It’s funny: I got the email notification but totally didn’t notice the typo. I had to go back to my Trash today and look at it. πŸ™‚
    I also beat myself up for typos in my blog writing, since I read over the stories several times to catch stuff like that. And of course, it’s much worse for novels since they’re longer. I sent my last manuscript to my father to see what he thought after I’d edited it and he sent back a list of typos I’d made. I was grateful, but also embarrassed, since some of them made me see semi-literate. Oh well, I guess it happens to everyone. πŸ™‚

Don’t you just hate it when that happens? Yes, you can always edit, but…:(

8. Oh the beatings I’ve endured ….