Ironing

imagesMy iron level, according to a recent blood test, is at an all time low, something I find neurotically disturbing.

My doctor, who looks at everything like it’s Godzilla, is concerned.

A friend of mine, a couple years my senior, also has low iron, but his doctor isn’t as worried as mine.

Should I just go see him so he can say…there there…don’t you worry, or continue to not sleep and bite my nails?

That’s all any of us want – reassurance, comfort and an occasional lie.

Me being me, those wheels of catastrophic thinking have been turning for a week even though I’ve been through an iron drop a year ago. I successfully raised it by eating more spinach than Popeye proving a condition can really change by a shift in diet.

Of course once it went up I went back to pizza and cheap chocolate figuring, that was that.

WRONG!

Lots could happen in a year, so am I checking out possibly before Christmas with iron poor blood?

Where’s Geritol (and Freud) when you need it?

Part of it is age. When I was in my 20s, 30s and even 40s, I never ever went to a doctor unless it was something serious, you know, like a drive-by shooting.

Now a cuticle cracks and I’m in his waiting room updating my will.

My friend Ed says, we’re all headed for the grave anyway, so just lighten up and assume it’s not today…a cheerful thought.

I try taking this advice, but find it requires alcohol and a limitless Visa card.

Part of my problem is never being sick until my hearing went south a year ago. You’re like a racehorse, my then doctor would say. Now I’m one who needs a weekly stress test.

When Bette Davis said, old age ain’t no place for sissies, she wasn’t just whistling Dixie.

What I need is to relax, remind myself the sun’s out and have a little more spinach to show my alleged anemia who’s boss.

I yam what I yam after all, just with a limited iron supply.

This entry was posted in dessert, food, Health, humor, women and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Ironing

1. Crystal L. says:

So sorry to hear you’re having issues. My health began a steady decline after a complicated birth 21 years ago. I spent several weeks in the hospital last year trying not to die and got what felt like a series of death-sentence diagnoses including a kidney headed for shut down, among other things.

I’m not sure doctors take a person’s ability to deal with stress into consideration when they hand out their opinions. I know I felt like a prescription for something to deal with the diagnoses should have been in order, although the doctor obviously didn’t agree.

I can sympathize. I’m also one of those people who hear it in my head as being even bigger than it probably is.

I think they make iron supplements, by the way. You might want to look into it. Blessings for improved health.

2. shoereader says:

“I never ever went to a doctor unless it was something serious, you know, like a drive-by shooting.

Now a cuticle cracks and I’m in his waiting room updating my will.”

I’ll tell you this.. If you laugh as hard as you made me do, you don’t have to worry about checking out anytime soon.. Eat your veggies!

• Making fun of myself and all that scares me is my way of coping. It bothers me so much my iron is low…I’m eating everything green short of grass. I’m thinking of getting one of those little plants cats like to carry in my purse. Did the Founders worry about iron? How about Lincoln? I’ll just bet he could have used a little spinach.

I thought anaemic was someone who used to be called Michael.
    Now we know why you’ve been feeling so tired.
    I’m not sure you should put your faith in spinnach, irrespective of what Popeye might tell you. All that oxalic acid won’t help any. Do you like black pudding?

4. gmg says:

I would get a copy of the test results. What is low? I would want the number……

5. katecrimmins says:

Usually women after menopause aren’t as susceptible to anemia (at least I think). You are one of a kind for sure. Eat your spinach and there are other iron-y things too. Be careful of supplements. They can bind your gut into a piece of cement! I love it best when I can just eat the pizza and beer.

I’m kinda like that too- outa sight, outa mind. Then it slaps you in the face…or the doctor does! πŸ˜‰ ! Diet is always the first place to go. You’ll beat this!

BTW – Love the title – I was geared up for an ironing episode – something most people don’t know how to do. πŸ˜‰

8. Alva Chinn says:

Glad that no matter what your sense of humor is intact. Just eat iron rich foods and keep laughing! Laughter works miracles! All the best, always.

9. They say red meat is good for iron, so go have a steak with a side of spinach, then mix a few iron filings into a martini and you’ll be fine. (said no doctor ever). πŸ™‚ Actually I really like spinach. Growing up, my mother didn’t like it and never bought it until we begged her too. I asked her to buy liver once, but she left it so long, it went bad and we had to throw it away.

10. Lynn says:

And here I thought you were going to write about Ironing! A task I refrain from unless completely necessary!

If you’re tired of spinach there are lots of other iron rich foods. I’m not sure just what they are. It’s also important not to overdo the iron.