May I Join You?

images There’s never a dull moment when walking Carmela the basset hound. Not that I’m versed in dog-walking, but I can bet it’s not the same as say, walking a poodle.

Last week she stole a sandwich and the time before got off the leash. Her antics make everyone laugh except me who apologizes like a nervous nanny.

Friday we were in the park right when the light was beginning to change from sunset to sundown, or Maxfield Parrish light the way it frames nature as if she’s getting ready for a big date.

Carmela loves Dog Hill that’s now closed due to much needed landscaping, so we took an alternate route leading us to the Great Lawn.

She was beside herself with so much space. At one point she took off so abruptly I had to drop the leash or else topple over. I watched her do laps till she passed out in front of me.

Good, I thought. Now that’s she’s exhausted we can have a nice, gentle stroll.

Who was I kidding?

The lawn was filled with couples reading, napping, gleaning those last rays of sun any minute would disappear.

There were two handsome young men entwined up on a hill. One was nuzzling the others stomach while he tried to sleep.

As I’m imagining how nice it would be wrapped around my own nuzzler, Carmela, without any warning, dove headfirst into these two boys.

“CARMELA…NO.”

Well that ship sailed. There she was in the middle rolling around in canine ecstasy.

Expecting the worst, they were so charmed by her howls and kisses, all I could do was smile. It was as if she knew them.

“I’m so sorry,” I said, trying to pull her off.

“No, it’s okay,” the nuzzler said, “we have a collie at home who does the same thing.

“I’m glad you don’t mind.”

“Mind? Our dog stood up for us at our wedding,” the sleepy one said. (how sweet is that?)

After a very long belly rub the nuzzler was obviously very good at, Carmela was finally persuaded to leave.

Was it my imagination, or did they exchange numbers?

“Did you have a nice walk?” Manuel the houseman asked when I brought her back.

“Oh yes…it was unlike any other.”

This entry was posted in animals, humor, Love, New York City and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to May I Join You?

Dogs and babies have a way of breaking down all social barriers.

Homophobic bassets are a rarity: a fine lesson for the bigots.
    Lola tried to swallow a clingfilm wrapped sandwich whole that she found under a hedge at Hykeham Recce. I’m sure she was turning blue, under her tricolour fur, before I managed to wrestle it from her throat. Oh, the joys of dog walking. 😉

3. katecrimmins says:

There are novels about guys using dogs as a way to meet women. Perhaps if you keep cruising with Carmela you will meet more men….hopefully straight.

Oh no! Stole a sandwich? No matter how much you feed them, dogs can always go for that extra treat – especially if it’s not meant for them! LOL!

5. backonmyown says:

Carmela is a charmer. This post reminded that I owned a Basset Hound for a while. We think someone stole him from our yard. He was a fun dog.

6. MJ says:

Love the basset tales! I’ve a hunch you and Carmela are becoming an UES legend. In my mind’s eye I can see park-goers of the 22nd Century pausing before a bronze, life-sized statue of a thin girl and an elongated hound, smiling with recognition as they read the plaque: “Writer Susannah Bianchi and the basset hound Carmela…”

7. You have the most interesting experiences, although maybe it’s easier in New York City. I live in a town of 1300 now, most of whom are students. It sounds like Carmela knew just who to go to for a belly rub. Some sort of radar perhaps?

8. Carmella certainly knows how to “work it” on her walk. Zeroing in on all the best dog lovers. I can’t help but imagine that Collie saying “move over Lassie there’s a Collie owned by a gay couple in town.”