Can These Pajamas Be Saved

images My favorite PJs are in serious peril.

The flannel has gotten so worn they’ve torn in a good eight places. Image Swiss cheese in a bright navy plaid.

Living alone as I do, I’ve been wearing them anyway not realizing what resembling a Dickens character is doing to my self-image. Seeing one’s ass on constant display can make or break a girl’s spirit.

The top is fine, it’s the bottoms that brandish my rear like it’s St. Tropez instead of the kitchen.

I have other pajamas. That’s actually an understatement. A couple dozen would be more accurate, and love them all. But these vintage Ralph Laurens that slept in so many nice hotels where breakfast came on fancy china wheeled by men with names like Sergio and Maurice are hard to part with.

They’re like family I actually still talk to.

Camille said I should retire them to the rag bag since they’d make a great shammy, or chamois, as she put it.

I truly feel I can’t turn them into the help just because they’ve gotten a little tatty. Where’s the gratitude for years of faithful service?

She then suggested an immediate shrink appointment as she put Preparation H under her eyes to reduce swelling.

Thee who cast the first hemorrhoid, if you will, should perhaps pause before speaking.

I get attached to my things, much more than people. My pajamas never made me wait at a restaurant for over an hour or forget we had plans at all.

They were always there nice and cozy for me to jump into, like the arms of a man you’ve known for a while.

I think I’ll just hand wash them and wear them one more time.

And maybe one more time after that.

This entry was posted in Fashion, humor, women and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Can These Pajamas Be Saved

1. No! They can not be forced to go from riches to rags just because they are a little tattered. Perhaps you can turn them into a nice throw pillow or something …. not the rag bag.

Very funny Susannah. I conjure the image of your jammies despatched to the great boudoir in the sky. Sashes to ashes, bust to dust, RIP.

3. Jeanette Hamilton says:

Funny you should write about old favorite PJ’s…my husband and I went on a weekend trip last weekend and I packed my favorite flannels, which were purchased from Eddie Bauer in 1998. They are white with little snowmen all over. Miraculously, they haven’t any tears but they are paper thin. They just don’t make ’em like that any more.

I can empathize, Susannah. I have two sleeping T-shirts older than my adult children. The edging is no longer attached, you can almost see through the material, and any remnant of a hem disappeared long ago.

They have seen better days. Take it from a seamstress – probably can’t be repaired, but what’s the harm in trying? I’ve seen worse! When the waistband separates from the actual garment is the time to make them into a quilt! LOL

6. katecrimmins says:

I have used Prep H for some “off label” things but not my eyes. Hmmmm….. As for your jamies, perhaps it’s time for jammy heaven where it can see it’s family again. I used to have a big fluffy bathrobe in pink. I used it for years and then it was tattered and worn. I have replaced it several times but none are as comfy and make me feel as girly as that one did. RIP

7. Arthur Seder says:

LOL. My sister gives me a pair of really comfortable pajama pants about once every five years for Christmas, and I make those last until the next one. They get so full of holes I can’t even tell what appendage goes where but, like you, I find them so difficult to part with.

8. I agree totally that clothes can earn a place in the family. Of course, like family members, sometimes they really are dead. I had a hat that was so old that it had more holes in it than actual fabric. My friends finally bought me another one so I’d get rid of it. As for pajamas, hang onto them especially if they’re flannel, I say.

9. Oh, do I understand this post! I could have written it a year ago… my favorite bottoms, or what was left of them, were the same way. I kept sewing them and I hate to sew, hate as in HATE to sew. The places I sewed remained fixed, but then they would rip in other places. I never threw them away, they are retired in my pajama drawer, and I look at them knowing I will never find another pair like them, I have looked and so far they have been the very best bottoms. I feel your pain.