Besotted

images-1Besotted : adjective
1 strongly infatuated : he became besotted with the girl next door.
2 intoxicated; drunk, head over heels for…mad, obsessed or wild about.

I love this word, and wish it was used in casual conversation. It’s not, unless you’re chatting with Dickens or Jane Austen.

It resurrects romance bringing you back to a time when all you thought about was him or her, unable to focus on anything but their beauty, even if it was all in your mind.

I’ve been besotted many times and have to say, regardless if the result was eventual heartache, there was joy being so enamored, captivated, haunted and lovingly consumed by another.

Hope springs eternal. Maybe not when your ripping up love letters perched on the ledge vowing never to love again…until the next head turner goes by that is.

And why can’t we use it to describe objects we’re particularly fond of: Kate’s frog pond, Elle’s book, David’s new home or Lola, Mick’s Border collie who resembles a plush toy you might find in your Christmas stocking?

Say it a few times letting it roll off your tongue like a magic herb enhancing your speech.

I am besotted with that basset hound who puts such a smile on my face.

Rereading The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara has me besotted with the American Civil War all over again.

Ed and I have a date for Farinelli pizza tomorrow and I’m besotted thinking about its thin, crisp crust and fresh mozzarella.

Why can’t we be besotted over cheese?

Words are buoys in the water, for everyone, not only writers, to lift us above the surface.

I used the term quell recently, and the man I was speaking to said, “That’s such a great word, we should use it more.”

Hear Hear.

To be smitten with…mad, crazy or keen about…sweet on, bewitched, bowled over or positively gaga regarding anything pumping oxygen through your veins reminding you you’re still among the living is a state to aspire to.

I don’t know about you, but I sure could use a heart filled preoccupation that takes my breath away, consumes the better part of me leaving the rest totally moonstruck.

And just think…then I could write about 🙂

This entry was posted in Books, humor, Love, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Besotted

1. Crystal L. says:

Such a great post. I’m completely besotted with the idea of using almost forgotten words. I truly believe that the speech we use to convey our concept of the world and how we exist in it, effects how we live our lives. I used to know a mom blogger that was infatuated with vocabulary. You sometimes had to break out a dictionary to read her posts, but it was so worth the trouble.

• What a lovely comment Crystal and your writing style shines through. Sometimes I lie in bed and read the dictionary. Used to get Word Of The Day on my phone then it vanished. I think I’ll see if I can download it again. Thanks for your lovely litany on behalf of our ongoing lexicon 🙂

Was it Mario Puzo who wrote about being hit by the “thunderbolt”? That “hook, line and sinker”, utterly smitten, devotion at first sight? I’ve been there. All that joy, desire and fear in one dollop can be too much. Good muse for a writer though.

3. katecrimmins says:

My latest word addiction is gobsmacked. I just love it. I love words that make you think!

Love this Susannah and it got me thinking so I did a little research…check these out and the pics are great. http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/27-delightful-obsolete-words-its-high-time-we-revived#110j80z and this one http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/195348/18-obsolete-words-which-should-have-never-gone-out-of-style/
    BTW – I love when you use the word tooling as you often do…that’s a great word and you don’t hear it often!

5. MJ says:

Ah, Sussannah! The “Killer Angels” is a book I read again and again, so much so that passages have become embedded in my mind like my faves from Jane Austen. I first read it in the 1970‘s, and had picked it up because I was familiar with Gettysburg and things Civil War. It didn’t occur to me to think of it as literature; and at 20-something had trouble thinking about anything except the guy I was miserably/ecstatically in love with at the time. But I was hooked on the first page, and completely transported by the end of the first chapter. Off-hand, I can’t think of a more riveting one. Michael Shaara’s writing was so immediate and timeless, and his characterizations, the dialogue, the structure, even the title…just brilliant. It’s a shame he died just when he’d achieved success. I find his son’s work to be derivative, pedestrian stuff. The film version was disappointing, too—aside from Jeff Daniels’ portrayal of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain—it was an epic plodder with none of the book’s vitality. Anyway…now that you’ve mentioned it, you whetted my appetite for another reading.

• I stayed up to finish it. I read it in 1994 but hardly remembered how amazing it is…how he was able to interject all that realism in his dialogue. It’s humbling. I’ve read about the battle so many times, but it was never so clear as through the eyes of his generals. And yes, a pity he got the Pulitzer posthumously.

The movie version of course paled, and I agree, Jeff Daniel stands out…Martin Sheen I thought made a great Lee and Kevin Conway, Kilrain. I saw him at an audition once and complimented him…he took off his hat to show me it was the union cap he wore in the film.

Yes by all means, reread it 🙂

6. I am rather besotted with my new house. Of course, that brings up the semantic difficulty, can you actually be “rather besotted” since besotted is such an extreme feeling? In any case, I’m going to use it in casual conversation in the next few days and see how people react. I’ll report back. 🙂

You’re right, Susannah. Such a great word. I hadn’t thought of it in many a moon. When I was a young teen, I checked out every Agatha Christie from our little library. I then proceeded to use many of her wonderful words from an age gone by.

8. Let’s bring back Besotted! I feel a bumper sticker campaign coming on….

9. I love the word besotted, and truly agree, it needs more attention in this day and age. Great post, your words bring life to my mind and I so appreciate that. thank you. DAF