Patience

Patience is a virtue we’re told…but it’s also a huge pain in the ass.

I hate waiting, and sadly, it’s the name of the game life plays whether you’re a willing contestant or not.

I want results ASAP. The circumstances don’t matter. I want an answer, a solution…a way out and a quick fix.

I’m told to pray, a nice suggestion, but God needs more help because he’s really tardy getting back to you.

For 58 years of my life I was on a pass. I had things happen of course and many of them serious like having the love of your life die what seemed like in an instant, but my health and general well-being was way above average.

It took so little to make me happy.

I ask myself, did I take it all for granted? Was I arrogant rather than grateful? Hard questions to answer.

Even little things try my patience. This morning I was leaving a deli and the woman in front of me walked like a snail. I felt my nostrils flare like an irate bull wanting so much to say, HURRY THE FUCK UP.

I didn’t, but grace was on the lam to be sure.

I have more patience with Carmela the basset hound, who walks as if she’s in a funeral procession, than I do for someone idly dillydallying. Does that mean they’re enjoying their life more, being able to stroll and take it easy? That’s food for thought since I’m hating mine at the moment.

Where am I going in such a hurry? That’s the bigger question.

I get antsy when my e-mails aren’t answered swiftly enough. I’ve been known to delete people from my contacts for being rude just to to ask for their address again. I fib saying, oh…had a little blip….lost some of my addresses.

All this because of impatience.

My hearing issues don’t help since they work the other way. People, who hate repeating things, grow impatient with me.

I experience both sides.

I’m told by soothsayers, once I get this patience thing together, it won’t plague me any longer.

I so don’t have patience for this theory, but will still consider it.

What the hell.

31 Responses to Patience

Patience is a virtue but life is too short and only fools are satisfied. It’s all a paradox. Plodding and methodical gets you there quicker, nine times out of ten. Rework loops will destroy any plan. So maybe (only maybe) it’s best to be in a hurry but stay calm and build a bit of leeway into your itinerary. Remember: not everyone can be as quick as you.

• I never think of myself as quick, but I get the point.

• micklively says:

I think there’s a knack to recognising where going faster actually delivers benefit. To use a driving analogy, there’s little point in racing to the next junction if you have to wait for the same change of the lights. You can delude yourself that you’re going faster, because you’re expending more effort, but it’s all an illusion. Conserve your energy and apply it where it makes a real difference.

• You have been up so much longer than me Mick living in England and all. My brain is still rolling over. When are you going to resume your blog by the way? You’ve abandoned it.

• micklively says:

Maybe sometime, maybe never. I’m having some difficulty justifying the time input to myself. I think I was only “preaching to the converted” anyway. I put up a post on the Scots referendum a few weeks back. I may give you an honorary post today, if I can find a minute.

• Okay…I know how much you love to write πŸ™‚

Susannah, maybe a lot of people who profess their patience are in fact just lazy, waiting for things to happen. We’re simply movers and shakers. At least, this explanation sounds better, doesn’t it?

3. Lynn says:

I do think we have become a very impatient breed. We are a culture of immediacy.

A few years back, when I visited Europe for the first time, this became so apparent to me. While waiting for a shop to open in a small town in France, we stood tapping our feet & checking our watches, wondering where the hell the owner was when the sign clearly stated the shop was to open at 10am (it was about 9:55).

About 15 minutes later, we heard the click of heels coming up the lane. It was the shopkeeper, finally! There was no apology, no excuse for being stuck in traffic or an alarm not going off. Just a simple & very pleasant “Good Morning”.

This would happen to us on a number of occasions over our stay. Eventually, we just came to understand that the sign on the door was merely a suggestion of what time they would open. If, by chance, a friend had been met at a local cafe, this was deemed more important than opening the door on time.

At first we found it annoying but, in the end it was a bit of lesson for us. Recognising this isn’t always possible, especially in a world where we live by the clock, there are times where we just need to slow down & enjoy life a wee bit more. Even if it takes a few extra minutes!

4. katecrimmins says:

Patience? What is that? It’s never been seen in my house. Annoyance and irritation visit more often. Of course, there is an aura of patience that surround my cats, just like Carmella. Once you are sucked into their orb, peace reigns and all is well.

We could all use more patience. Hoping I have enough patience to make it through this year and next with H’s band parents – I feel a rant coming on. Sometimes I wonder if they know the effects their tirades have on their children?

6. I relate when it comes to patience. It’s a terrible word. It’s a terrible state. I am not patient. I would like to be, but I am not. If I were there, we could walk quickly down the street yelling at the strolling people who somehow think they can stall those of us who move quickly. And by the way we could talk loudly at each other so that we won’t miss a word of our very important and precious conversation…. Living with a man with a very expensive hearing aid that remains in it’s case in his computer bag, I have practice talking a bit louder and listening a bit closer… hope your day improves and this post has made me laugh and sigh in compassion. If I was there, I would hug you and say, “Let’s go knock some slow people over and get some wine!”

7. MJ says:

Love the image of Carmela waddling at funereal pace! But don’t be too hard on yourself for being “impatient”, Susannah. It’s often justified.
    There’s great truth in what Skinnyuz2b says. I think most of us resign ourselves to unavoidable delays, even if grudgingly—traffic slowed to a crawl because of weather, or being behind an impaired individual in a checkout line. But the fact is, few people can be late without being penalized, whether in the workplace, at school, or for last-minute cancelations of professional appointments. The folks who impede the flow typically do so because they have no consideration for others, and probably have time to spare. Worse yet, they seem to think they’re superior to the victims of their selfishness. When confronted, they try to make a virtue of their disregard, equating it with taking a stand against the madding crowd. Sometimes, too, what’s lauded as patience and calm is really passive aggression.

8. I tend to be more impatient in the car and my wife, who isn’t driving, tells me to calm down. However, for big things, like getting test results back or opening Christmas presents, she’s bouncing around like a ball of impatience and I’m cool as a (something more original than cucumber: you get the idea, I’m tired.) My strategy for impatience about long term things is to forget about it, which works sometimes better than others. πŸ™‚