A Voter’s Experience

images-2 I know so many people who didn’t vote because as most of them put it, what’s the point?

The point is, for the privilege of it.

And naturally yesterday morning those, I told you so, emails floated in since now we have a Republican Congress, but I’m still happy I voted.

I worked on Tuesday way out in Brooklyn, and when I came dragging home, the last thing I wanted was to go to PS 6, the school across from me, to vote.

But I did anyway.

When I got there, I went to the desk to sign my name, but made the error of hesitating by saying, “I’m pretty sure this is my district.” All this gigantic redhead had to do was peruse the Bs, but she says, “I’m sorry, you need to go back in the hall and find out the number before we can look you up.”

See, right there is where I could have SO easily have said, “Fuck you…I just won’t vote then,” but resentfully did what she said.

I pushed myself ahead of the crowd, so unlike me, and shouted out my address. A very calm looking man without looking up said, “71”.

So I march back to Ms Hospitality and say, “71, like I thought.”

“What’s your name?” I hand her my license. She scans it, hands it back.

“What’s your name again?” I wanted to slam her so hard. My feet ached from standing all day. My hearing is down, and I sound like Tallullah Bankhead from all the plaster dust I’ve inhaled, BUT…was determined to vote, and this is why.

I vote whether it’s for the presidency or for some little guy running as dogcatcher, for all the women who marched tirelessly who never saw the vote in their lifetime.

Women who were laughed at and heckled, mocked and booed…quite often beaten and arrested kept out of places by condescending men, yet stood vigil, despite the abuse so their presence would be known.

We take equal rights for granted because of them.

These ladies, Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, to name two, got me the right to put in my two cents, and no one…not even a woman the size of a Buick will keep me from exercising my constitutional right.

God Bless the Nineteenth Amendment ratified August 18, 1920.

My only regret is not writing this sooner.

This entry was posted in animals, Faith, History, New York City, Politics, Women and men, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to A Voter’s Experience

Great piece, Susannah. My only regret is that we now live up against the border of two towns and live on the side we don’t identify with. The opposite side is where we grew up and went to school, and it’s much closer. So we can’t vote in the local elections that we care most about.
    The first year we moved here, I went to vote in my hometown since it is so much closer. It gave all my friends working at the polls a good laugh. I had to double back and go to the further town.

2. edwardcres says:

Right on, girl. I knew someone who used to say, “I don’t vote and I don’t complain.” It makes for a glib sound bite but it’s a moronic way to live; as well as an affront to all the blood that’s been spilled over the years to keep those polling places opened.

3. Lynn says:

This needs to be said over & over Susannah! Voter turnout here seems to be at all time lows as well. So many before us fought so hard to give us the right to vote, we dishonour their memory in not doing so!

• Wish I wrote that on Monday, but the big redhead was my inspiration. Makes you wonder if anyone, due to her charming ways, actually did walk out. They all volunteer, a lovely thing, but can’t we find a few with manners? I’m just saying.

I loved the guy who stood by the machine as my vote was scanned. As I was leaving he said,”Thanks for voting Ma’am.” That was more like it. If you knew how many people I know who didn’t vote, it’s staggering.

• Lynn says:

Yes, I am sure Ms.Personality swayed a few voters from completing their ballot! Interestingly, the people manning our polls here are paid for the day. It’s a good gig if you are looking for a day’s work. Although they take their job quite seriously, they are friendly & helpful.

We had a municipal election about a week ago & voter turnout was something like 26%. It astounds me!

• I probably stand to be corrected…I’m assuming they’re volunteers but maybe they’re not, which makes it worse. I imagine people are just tired of how only the rich seem to be preferred. It’s terrible, but you still need to stand up. This is how the brotherhood of victimhood was born…people, to paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, won’t throw their hat in the ring these days. Wish TR were here now, or at least the likes of him.

4. katecrimmins says:

Voting in our district is always a “trip.” It is staffed by a crew of cheery elderly folks that I swear this is their big day of the year. They bring in food and party the entire day. I leave upbeat and cheery until I hear results (usually). We had a gubernatorial race and my guy won so yay! Susan and Elizabeth would be so proud of us.

• Have you ever seen Not For Ourselves Alone, the Ken Burns film about those two? It’s so amazing. Elizabeth had a big family and couldn’t do the traveling, but Susan who was alone, did. They’d conjure up their next move and she would execute it. It was admirable, really what they did never to have had the chance to vote. Gets me choked up.

That film is part of his collection called Ken Burn’s America. So worth a look-see.

5. Great essay, Susannah! It’s way to easy to let all the hassles get in the way and forget we have a huge privilege that many people have never had. This was my first time voting in this country and it was pretty painless. Of course, I went in the evening in a small town so there wasn’t a line. I’m not sure if I could do some of these horror stories about people waiting 12 hours to vote. That sort of thing is a travesty.

I’m with you on this one. There are people, even now, giving their lives in their struggle for the right to vote. It behooves us all to show them a little respect.

What? Did she think you were impersonating Susannah or did she just think you may have forgotten your name in those few seconds?! H had to cancel his band parent meeting to be able to get to vote on his way home. He called me and said, “Where do we vote? There’s no one here.” He had forgotten they changed the location, but he made it in time!