The Writer’s Peanut Gallery

images-1 A peanut gallery, according to Webster, is a group of people who criticize someone, often by focusing on insignificant details. In other words, a pack of miserable fuckers who never learned, if you can’t say something nice, then shut the fuck up.

You didn’t have to attend boarding school to get that one.

A friend of mine, who I’m happy to report has resumed writing, was down for the count because a bunch of idiotic naysayers after reading her blog, criticized something personal she bravely shared.

First let me say, candor is one of the hardest parts of writing. The fact that an author can spill their guts on the page is cause for awe and celebration. This woman leads the charge with her honesty that humbles someone like me who still struggles with openness.

She was hurt, as anyone would be, but here’s the rub.

It doesn’t matter what anyone says. The important thing is the love of writing, and my friend thrives on it, and it shows, in her frankness and unfailing humor.

We are both big David Sedaris fans, and to our bewilderment, many people don’t cotton too well to his prose.

He’s the only man in person or print, who has ever made me laugh on the New York subway.

There are people who actually hate Hemingway and Stephen King, Jane Austen and Dashiell Hammett, and even Aaron Sorkin and Anne Lamott.

I have one luscious phrase for all those seated so smugly in that pitiful peanut gallery…

Fuck-off…especially if you can’t take a joke.

This entry was posted in Books, humor, writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Writer’s Peanut Gallery

Well don’t beat about the bush Susannah, why don’t you tell us what you really think? 😉
    Actually, I agree. A little constructive criticism is a good thing and, of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but any cretin can stand on the sidelines, produce nothing themselves, whilst slinging shit.

• Exactly. And most people who make derogatory comments have no art of their own, that’s the point. I have empathy there, I do. I was upset for my friend who’s such a great writer…puts her heart and soul into it…and we’re sensitive Mick…even you, though you’ll brush it away with your British bravado 🙂

• micklively says:

Yes, I am sensitive to it, with or without bravado.
        I have been lucky to attract very little vitriol, despite my brief to assail folks’ Weltanschauung. This is why I came to the conclusion that I was preaching to the converted and my blog waned.

• Your blog needs resuscitation is all. You’ve sort have abandoned it. Your initial one had a nice little following, but they have no clue where you went to. You could give them a lookey here.

• micklively says:

But that’s a recipe to ensure I’m speaking to the same folk. I don’t know Susannah. What’s the point? Sure, I enjoy writing but I don’t think I’m ever going to make a difference. I need to find a way to turn off the greed gene in about eight billion people.

• Why can’t you write to just write…because it expands who you are. You get to take all the things in your mind and heart that impress, depress or oppress and put them on the page. It makes a difference in you and to you, and you count Mick. JUST WRITE.

• micklively says:

I will obey!

2. Hahaha! My sentiments exactly! I did a post the other day titled “No Apologies” about it all. I love the look on Snoopy’s face … priceless.

3. katecrimmins says:

Bloggers need tough skin. I have been fortunate. I write a humor blog which isn’t scandalous or controversial but every now and then something disagrees with me (can you imagine that?). I have learned to click off a blog if it’s not my cuppa tea rather than leave scathing notes that booger everyone up. Hey, this is supposed to be fun. If you don’t like it, don’t read it, right?

There are so many blogs that if you drop in on one you don’t care for or disagree with, move on. No need to leave nasty comments. As far as baring your soul, I don’t really do that, but I do share embarrassing episodes in my life. My last post is a pathetic attempt to get my first kiss, at age 16 for Pete’s sake.

5. There is no pleasing some people, especially the ones that think their only personal tastes rule the world, or at least should.