Entitlement Syndrome

crazy-womanEntitlement means, having a right to something…claim, permission, privilege. Something you take as yours whether it is or not…an arrogant theft is how I see it.

My latest experience has taken this definition to new heights.

I was in Farinella eating overpriced pizza I’ve been boycotting since they raised all slices a dollar, when a woman with two kids approached me.

Let me first describes this little joint on 79th and Lexington Avenue. It’s like an Italian jewel box with a big oven, small counter and rows and rows of Coca-Cola in old-fashioned bottles lining the walls. There are three tiny tables each seating two, and a bench outside. Not exactly spacious, but it’s pizza.

You order, eat and go.

I’m sitting against the wall always willing to give the other seat to someone, but this day, a woman dressed in workout gear with matching children marched over and said, “We three think, she gazes lovingly at the two kids…a boy and girl maybe six and seven…you should get up and give us your table.”

“Come again?”

This threw me a bit though I remained polite.

“I’m having my lunch. When I’m through you can sit here.”

“No, that’s not good enough. We’re in a hurry and we need to sit down so I’ll repeat, the three of us feel you should be a good sport and get up.”

Okay, this was even too much arrogance for the legendary Upper East Side.

“Well, the three of us…as in me, myself and I, feel you are way out of line and would prefer if you’d go away and let us eat in peace.”

It reminded me of an old Hillary Clinton joke…how Bill never liked when she wore skirts because her balls would show.

“That is so selfish since there’s one of you and three of us.”

Yes, this is when the wheels fell off the wagon.

“Were you dropped on your head? Do you know how outrageous you’re being?”

By this time the kids just wanted their pizza that she was holding hostage while harassing me, and one thing about Farinella, as good as it is, it blows when it’s cold.

My heart pounded with indignation. Would you ever make such a demand on anyone, especially someone you didn’t know? Did she deserve a slap more than a slice ya think?

I was so mad I ordered another one just to sit there longer. Of course the kids got to me, so I said to them, “Why don’t you, addressing the mini workout girl, sit with me, and your brother can have the seat in front.” How nice am I?

“The little girl in her Fila spandex hoodie said, “What about mommy?”

“Mommy can stand,” her brother said.

From the mouth of babes…who clearly takes after his father.

This entry was posted in Family, humor, kids, money, New York City, parents, women and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Entitlement Syndrome

I can’t believe I’ve read that: how rude!
    Why do you want to live in that mad place Susannah?

How bad does it have to get before you pull the plug?
    It’s expensive, folk don’t cover their genitals, and they’re ill-mannered! πŸ˜‰

• Oh yes, exposed genitals…that seems to be the least of it. I’ll deal with balls billowing easier than rudeness. But holding one’s own makes up for it. If she had a papoose strapped to her chest, I still wouldn’t have let her have my seat. Of course I would have offered to hold the baby πŸ™‚

..and what kind of example does she set for her children? Breeding the next generation of ignoramuses (ignoramusii?) is NOT a laudable aspiration.

4. Rubenstein, Hal says:

Great story! Surprised you didn’t deck her !

I guess she thought she was special. I, like you, can take a lot, but rudeness is unacceptable! That was rude.Loved her son’s response. πŸ˜‰

• The poor kid was just so hungry…I have found women who are so blessed with children and means and hopefully a loving husband, are the least humble. People who are given the most think they deserve it…they’re special, the chosen few. It’s not that way at all Elle. They were just in God’s favor without getting all evangelical…my 2 cents on a rainy Monday morning.

• Elle Knowles says:

There’s just no excuse for rudeness! You always look out for the children. πŸ˜‰ Yep, raining here too and temps dropping fast. 72 now and should drop down in the high 20’s tonight. Florida weather!

• OMG…that’s quite a drop. It’s 40 here with no wind but it’s the kind of rain that splatters and soaks. I have 2 appointments downtown. I’ll have to scotchguard myself so I arrive reasonably dry. UGH

6. katecrimmins says:

So sorry you didn’t have peace and quiet to enjoy your overpriced pizza. Look at it this way, the bitch made you eat two slices (yum!) and you got a good blog post. Sounds like her son will be just fine. She probably embarrasses them.

7. That’s the sort of thing that leaves you speechless. She could have asked even, instead of just informing you. Hopefully your second slice wasn’t too awkward. πŸ™‚

8. Lynn says:

What I want it know is, what was “mommy’s” reaction when her son suggested she could stand!

9. edwardcres says:

So in essence, the gentleman with the windswept genitalia was concerned and helpful, the bitch with the kids and the slices was an egomaniacal psychopath. He got you to work on time, she ruined your lunch. Personally, I wouldn’t live anywhere else. And I agree; I think her son will turn out all right.

I love your response, “Me, myself, and I ..” And really, really love that you ordered another slice and had the kids sit down. A perfect ending!
    Did any of the other patrons react to the jerk’s demands?

11. Just the fact that the kids were in workout gear is insane enough …. what a bitch! I big fat high-five to that little boy.