Carmela Watch

get-attachment-4Her Beyonce look.

December is passing quickly.

I still don’t know what will happen to my best basset hound friend. As you know Carmela and her family are moving. I stopped asking where. Every time I did, there was a new possible location. One minute it was near, the next much too far.

My anxiety level would launch itself like a rocket.

She still manages to make me laugh, even though when I see her, my heart’s heavy.

On Sunday her parents are home alone. They have no help consisting of a cook, a houseman and three maids. I know, one day a week must feel like they’re slumming.

It was around 11:20 when I quietly opened the gate leading me into the yard. I looked into the kitchen window to see if anyone was awake. They know I’m coming, but quite often make me wait till they decide to get up. For the privilege of being with Carmela, I tolerate this.

As I’m peering into the window, suddenly, who comes dashing out the kitchen door like a fat calf at a rodeo but Carmela…so happy to see me, jumping, knocking me down. There I was sprawled on the step with her happily in my lap licking my face, going into my pockets. She’s so smart knowing where the cookies are.

I feel sad for her parents even though I know, the last thing they’re concerned about is me. They just are not very considerate people by nature and I feel, this abrupt removal is simply reaping what they sadly sow.

You don’t have to be a Buddhist to believe in karma.

But it’s the holidays, and the fact that rather than hosting and celebrating, they’ll be packing and moving is really an unfortunate thing.

They’re Argentinians after all who are very big on Christmas.

Come what may, I will stand vigil no matter what happens on behalf of my girl.

This entry was posted in animals, Family, friendship, humor, New York City and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Carmela Watch

It will be a sad day for you when Carmela leaves. I thought about you today when someone mentioned the name Carmella. Carmella the dog is the only one I know with that name – and I do feel as though I know her because you write such wonderful tales about her. Keep your chin up.

I always heard that Argentinians were super warm and friendly. I guess there are always exceptions. If they choose not to divulge their new location, then I hope that one day when you least expect it you’ll be walking along and there will be Carmella right in front of you!

• It’s funny you should say that. A couple of weeks ago, I had one of my nightmare experiences with another doctor on my way home with my heart in my hands. Who do I see bopping down the street with Ami the maid, tail a’waggin, but Carmela who when she sees me, picks up speed like a runaway car. Poor Ami…I was so happy to her…like light, with a tail 🙂

3. katecrimmins says:

The parents will miss you too. You make their dog happy. I keep hoping that something good will come out of this (like a nearby move or something).

4. Lynn says:

I am so sad for both of you. Our canine friends fill our hearts with so much love, asking for very little in return. Perhaps you should kidnap her!

• Joey the doorman keeps saying…what if they offer her to you…what would say…I’d say yes Joey, then have a fund raiser since she’s as big as a steer. That won’t happen. In their own bizarre way, they love her too.

OH LYNN!!1

• Lynn says:

I have a funny story about my brother “kidnapping” a dog. I will have to write about for you, it is kind of hysterical! In the meantime, I think you need to give serious consideration to a rescue of some sort. Perhaps not as big as Carmela but one that will love you just a large!

• A dog is tough because I’m out a lot. A cat would be the wiser choice. Carmela is the sweetest animal I’ve ever had the joy of being around. A healer to be sure. She really saw me out from a very dark time.

5. Do they still not know where they are moving to? That seems odd to me. Hopefully it will not be too far away.

• I stopped asking. I’m sure by this time they do, but it’s all too painful for me. If they are moving far, I’ll know soon enough. I’m assuming they are. Things end David and it was such a grace while it lasted. These people didn’t know me. To let me take her was truly a remarkable event. Appreciate your remarks.

6. MJ says:

Love the pic, Susannah! Carmela looks so candy carmel-like, and the breezy ears remind me of a library book I used to borrow again and again when I was in 2nd grade. It was about a basset hound named Bascombe, who’d disappointed his owner because he was so slow on the hunt. Then he discovered how to use his ears to fly. Hey, you never know…

7. I’m with MJ! I imagine her at a photo shoot with one of those big fans blowing her ears your photo above. She will be heartbroken!