Missing A Friend

A follower of mine asked why I haven’t mentioned Camille.

We had a fight, that’s why.

I want to say it was stupid, and all my fault, but it’s not how I feel.

It involved a man we know, in my estimation, she treated rather ruthlessly.

I try as a rule not to judge, a skill well-honed, but sometimes when circumstances seem  profound there really isn’t much choice in the matter…especially if it involves someone you’ve known for 40 years.

Mike, I’ll call him, is a man in his early 70s…in great shape…financially secure, who lost his wife after 35 years.

We knew them both since they were well-known art directors in our field.

Maggie, I’ll call her, wasn’t even cold yet when Camille pounced like a puma.

Mike, shell-shocked, welcomed what I felt were her inappropriate intentions.

He went from widower to wealthy man on-the-town with a redhead on his arm without passing go.

I kept saying, “But Camille, he hasn’t properly mourned yet.”

“He’s old…there’s no time Susannah…do the math.”

My heart ached because I knew it was all about the money.

They shopped and traveled, ran up lavish hotel bills. He even bought her a sable coat she’s been eying for a year.

Mike called one day asking if I had heard from Camille. He was waiting at the Ritz Carlton bar for over an hour and she had yet to show.

I knew she had met some pilot when she went to Palm Beach to do something for Neimans, my heart wincing not having the heart to tell him.

When I approached her she got mad, telling me to mind my own business…I clearly didn’t understand their arrangement. Obviously neither did Mike who she just dropped like a glove on a railroad platform.

That was three months ago.

I miss her…but can’t pick up the phone.

This entry was posted in Beauty, Fashion, friendship, Love, modeling, Women and men and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Missing A Friend

1. This is a sad state of affairs, but I completely understand your point. You can’t push your values to the curb, no matter what the cost. My hope is that she will come around … for so many reasons.

One of my best friends (from college days) and I had a tiff over a guy years ago. We didn’t speak for a couple of years. When we reconnected, it was just like old times. We both regretted being so stubborn and losing those two years of friendship.
    I agree that Camille’s actions aren’t what I would do, but you already knew that was one of her faults that must be accepted/overlooked if you are her friend. And if Mike knew her for many years, he must have known it too, even if he tried to convince himself he was different. Maybe he needed that sort of relationship to help keep him from sinking into a depth of despair over his loss.
    They were both adults, although one was very vulnerable. I hope you don’t lose your friend for too long.

• You’re right…you’re right…I don’t know who I think I am to be perfectly honest. She was probably the best medicine for him at the time. Like going to Coney Island and just staying there for a spell.

My dander goes up when I least expect it Skinny.

You are ever the champion of the vulnerable Susannah, so I understand your disgust.
    From an entirely selfish standpoint, I hope your estrangement is only temporary: nothing makes me laugh like your outings with the outrageous Ms C.

4. katecrimmins says:

This isn’t the first time you have seen this behavior so you shouldn’t be shocked. I had a friend with similar tendencies although Camille has her beat by a mile. Eventually we parted ways because I dated one of her former beaus (12 years after the fact). I remember being amazed at her reaction. She “broke up” with him through an email and was already dating someone else for a couple of weeks and thought that was perfectly ok. She was a great friend in many ways and I miss her but we never were able to bond again. I hope you find peace with whatever happens. Ethics are more important to some folks.

• Ethics…now there’s a endangered concept if I’ve ever heard one. I hate when my Connecticut shows since it’s right up there with a loose hem.
      Camile’s the person I’ve always wanted to me…carefree…not concerned with things in the long run won’t matter. I’m sure the man in question had a great time. Why I feel the need to protect him from the perils of female tendencies, is a bit of a mystery. I did like his wife very much. She was such a classy lady, and she probably would have approved of him attempting to move on, even for a limited run.

Camille. I miss my friend.

5. niecie17 says:

You’re right. The end.

6. niecie17 says:

You’re right, she’s wrong. The end.

7. Lynn says:

Oy, this is a tough one Susannah. It sounds like “Maggie” is the same person she has always been. “I know my friend…all this is great until even the crisp sound of a 100 dollar bill will bore her to tears, causing her to chill like a bottle of Tats in the back of the fridge.”

Sometimes we do things that others may not approve of. You had the chutzpah to let her know your thoughts, which were clearly not well received. The question is, does this person matter enough to pick up the phone & make the call? If the answer is yes, then do it. It doesn’t mean you have to agree on how she handled herself. Let her know you miss her in your life & take things from there.

If you matter to her as much as she matters to you, acknowledge the difficulty of the situation & move forward.

8. I think it’s hardest to talk to friends when you see them doing something wrong. You did the right thing, but I hope you two can reconcile sometime. I’m sure she’s missing you too.

Someone has to be the bigger person to make amends and it just may have to be you…Has Camille ever been the one to come around when you’ve had a tiff? Hopefully the new year will fare better in regards to friends and animals.

• Yes Elle…it may have to be me. Camille rarely comes around…her style is more to ignore…this was bigger though than a slight disagreement. I think my judgment of her sired too much guilt. Mike is such a lovely man, and somewhere Camille knew she dealt him a rough hand. Oh well…we’ll see what happens in the New Year.