Oy To The World

images It’s Christmas, and I’m pissed Panera isn’t open.

I know Susannah, give them a break on the holiest of holidays.

I just hauled out my ancient electric coffee pot with the cord wrapped in gaffer’s tape about to make the worst cup of coffee ever.

How do I know? Trust me. When it comes to self-service, I’m not a willing participant.

The only good news is the panattoni I have wrapped in cellophane the gourmet grocer gave me. Italian fruitcake with raisins laced with anisette I’ll toast with gobs of butter.

Like Scrooge, I’m thinking back to Christmas past plucking one out of the dust.

I was 3, weeping by the Christmas tree naked, except for a little hankie covering my private parts. My mother thought taking a picture of me looking like a little nymph would be oh so cute, when it should have put me right into therapy, just by way of preschool.

My dad, drafted to take it, could hardly look at me. Fashion oriented even then, my mother said, if I cooperated, I could wear my new, pink Doctor Denton pajamas with the feet before Christmas morning.

I made the deal.

So wish I had the picture, shredded long ago since I did look awfully cute, providing you ignored those tears streaming down my face.

It taught me shame at much too young an age…a stigma I carried for years that even now, leaves a tiny trail.

Another Christmas I remember was at Windows of the World at the top of the World Trade Center. I had a boyfriend named Seth who took me there for Christmas Eve where we drank Moet Chandon toasting our future. He left me a week later…New Years Eve to be exact, for an Asian model named Fawn.

Mustn’t forget the 5 I spent with the Flying Dutchman always leaving me to go be with his ex-wife and daughter igniting my abandonment syndrome like a cherry bomb.

He’d ply me with presents, fill my fridge then leave me like a dog at a kennel.

It’s safe to say, Christmas isn’t one of my all time favorite days.

The good news is, it will pass soon enough when I can shove that coffee pot back under the sink along with all my memories of Christmas past grateful for just another, ordinary day.

This entry was posted in Family, Fashion, food, humor, New York City, parents and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Oy To The World

Happy Christmas Susannah!

2. Rubenstein, Hal says:

Happy Xmas ? Cute today !

3. Izzy1975 says:

Could be worse? Could be year 6 with the ex? Go to your local, over priced coffee shop and enjoy a latte on me (just tell them izzy covered it). I’m sure they know who I am since I’ve paid for most baristas collage fund.

4. katecrimmins says:

We found a small diner open this morning so I had pancakes and the worst coffee ever. I came home and made a cup with my Keurig but it isn’t Starbucks! What are they thinking, closing for the day! We all have a couple bad Christmases tucked in the back of our consciousness. I’m keeping mine back there for now! I need a nap from carb overload!

I’m not hooked on coffee so I had some hot chocolate. Made H coffee in the Keurig. He’s fine with his Community Coffee and Andrew declined a beverage. He can take it or leave it. He did confiscate a Starbucks card H had been given as a gift though! Yes, I think we will be all glad for tomorrow to be a normal day. Back to the grindstone – and then New Years around the corner! πŸ˜‰

I’m going to rest for the next two weeks, just catching up on housework. No hostessing giant Christmas parties or two birthday dinners, or Thanksgiving. No making a triple lasagna, triple batch of salmon patties, etc. etc. No substitute teaching or Census work. I’m going to spend a good portion of that time being a couch potato watching bad TV and reading!

7. I have a cheap coffee maker at home too I rarely use, except perhaps on weekends if I want coffee. You’ll have to find a coffee shop that’s open on Christmas so you can keep the metaphor-of-terrible-Christmas-memories coffee maker in the back of the cupboard where it belongs. Happy Holidays all the same~
    (By the way, have you ever tried writing screenplays? I just realized you could probably write a really good movie, the way you have with dialogue.)

8. Isn’t the slogan “The city that NEVER sleeps”? I think you may have a case. Hope your Christmas day got better.