God In Small Corners

I’ve been finding comfort in the tiniest of things.

I was running around the track when I saw a woman staring at something. It was a hawk three feet from her sitting on a low branch.  images-1 It looked female, small, but not enough to be a baby and was she stunning. Not beautiful, more like the Barbara Streisand of birds.  images I reached for my new phone to take her picture, but while fumbling, she took flight. “Isn’t nature wild?” I said to the woman, not meaning to be clever. She smiled and ran off.

Later on I was in Soho when I saw an old bakery looking right out of Palermo. images-2It was wedged between all these chic boutiques as if it didn’t belong despite it being there first. I peered in the window stocked with loaves and rolls, flour dusting the panes.

A rotund, Italian woman waved from inside, beckoning me in.

“Signora…cafe?” I didn’t really want coffee in the middle of the day but said yes anyway.

She pointed to an old cafe table and chair in a far corner. The aroma of bread baking made me think of my Grandfather’s cellar smelling quite the same.

Pop, are you here?

After bringing me a cup and a chipped china saucer, she said, “Kookie?”

“Yes, please,” feeling like a little girl again in the company of her aunt.

The woman was so cute, like an animated cookie jar, but when I gave her my credit card she said, “No ca-edit….cosh oon-ly.”

Uh-oh.

“Let me run to the bank,” I said, leaving my two shopping bags on the chair as collateral.

“No, Signora, eeds okee,” the fat on her upper arm jiggling in protest.

I ignored her, running out before it hit me. Susannah, she wants to be kind to you. It was coffee and a cookie for heaven’s sake. So instead of the cash machine, I went to the Korean deli and bought her a bouquet of pink tea roses.  images

“Ah, bellissimo,” she said, hugging them to her chest. Later, when I looked inside my shopping bag, I found three more kookies.

On my way home, I watched a set of twins playing in a park, one hitting the other. I couldn’t help laughing since it had a Laurel and Hardy feel to it.

“It’s not funny,” said the mother, shaking her head.

“Sure it is,” I said, “they’re little.”

“I have a twin brother I used to hit just like that and hated him all through school.”

“How do you feel about him now?”

“I love him, but it took a while.” That’s when we both laughed.images-4

God is in small things, if you take the time to find them.

This entry was posted in Family, food, humor, kids, Love, New York City and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to God In Small Corners

1. edwardcres says:

“Isn’t nature wild?” Is right up there with a friend’s father who once uttered, “History is a thing of the past.”

I love your stories, Susannah. You did the absolute right thing at the bakery, can’t say I would have thought of that.

• You might have. I never carry cash, a bad habit of mine though I spend it when I have it. I do take pause when I pay with a credit card especially now trying to pay them all off.

She was so cute Skinny…mangia mangia, was the theme of the day.

Not too many people take the time to find those small things. Sounds like you had a wonderful day! ~Elle

4. Sounds like a perfect day to me! I’m surprised the women at the bakery wasn’t setting up a room for you in the back to fatten you up…she reminded me of my Aunt Rose who force feed everyone who came in the door (I didn’t mind at all).

5. MJ says:

Love these vignettes! Aside from being such a charmer in printed form, the Vesuvio tale has all the elements of a delightful sketch on paper or stage. I’m enthralled by the Central Park hawks, too, and have been following the doings of their paterfamilias, Pale Male, ever since I saw the Frederic Lillien documentary more than a decade ago. ( I also have a very soft spot in my heart for pigeons, which makes me wince at the thought of much of the hawks’ diet, but nature is what it is.) Although I can’t tell the difference between the he’s and the she’s, younger hawks have amber eyes, which gradually darken to deep brown.

• It could have been a He MJ, there was just something petite about this one.

I’m sure you’ve seen this bakery…it’s been there forever and the woman, she’s a real character…could star in a movie 🙂

• MJ says:

Oh, yes, I know Vesuvio’s. I used to spend a lot of time in SoHo when it was still an area where “creative space” lofts were affordable. One of my favorite landmarks was Kenn’s Broome Street Bar, where you could draw on the walls. Very old building—the oldest, i think, in that part of town, with a lotta drama in its history, including more than one murder. I think it closed last year, though.

• I remember the Broome Street Bar, and the Spring Street Bar…all gone…had a boyfriend who would take me to Soho for drinks. Loved it…loved the artsy feel to everything. Now it’s so glam and overpriced. But that little bakery holds its own.

6. AF says:

I just loved everything about this!

7. gmg says:

Lovely…..that’s all I can say……..:):):):)
    gmg

• Thank you…those twins are still in my consciousness along with the Italian lady who was so sweet. People do tend to try to feed me because I’m thin, but those surprise cookies, or kookies rather, made me cry. She put them in before she got the flowers.

8. priyajitin says:

Hi, just happened to come across your post. I couldn’t agree more with you. It’s always the little things in life that matters and infact these are things we tend to ignore.

• That’s exactly how I feel. You just need to pay attention. Most people here in Manhattan are too busy on their phones to notice a timeless bakery or tiny twins having a fight. Such a shame. Thanks for writing.

9. I love coming through your day with you. What amazing experiences (and now I really want a kookie too). I laughed at the juxtaposition of a hawk and Barbara Streisand. 🙂