Christian Science 101

This is what I get for reading the news.

images-7 Val Kilmer, an actor I’ve always loved, had a tumor in his throat since the summer he pointedly ignored because his religion, Christian Science, doesn’t believe in modern medicine. They say, prayer is what heals since illness is only an illusion. So’s my La Perla bra when I stuff it, but we’re earthy beings, not cherubs harping in the night.

Only after bleeding from his throat did he finally seek help, rushed to UCLA Medical Center where he was operated on hopefully in time. It took a gusher along with his pleading family to get him there.

I need to weigh in.

In 1937, Jean Harlow died at the age of 26 because her mother, an avid Christian Scientist, refused to let a doctor treat her resulting in her kidneys backing up killing her. It was bye bye Baby, ironically her nickname. images-2

I believe in prayer too, especially at 2 in the morning when you’re all alone. But one can also pray while allowing a surgeon to save a human life. You can even spiritually justify it…God is working through the doctor to bring about a positive result.

I have a video with some of my favorite movie moments and one of them is Val in the film Heat when he comes shooting his way out of the bank. images-4 It was Butch Cassidy and Sundance all over again. Another is his Doc Holiday in Tombstone. He’s the only actor on the planet who could make being tubercular sexy…“I’m your Huckleberry.” images-5 You certainly are, so I think it’s time you have a powwow with the spirit of Mary Baker Eddy whose teachings from 1879 could use a rewrite, and get your cute little ass to the doctor, not waiting till you’re bloodless so I’m not tearfully writing your obituary.

images-6

Okay Huck?

This entry was posted in Cinema, Health, Love, religion, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Christian Science 101

1. I didn’t know Val Kilmer had cancer or is a Christian Scientist. Thanks for this timely article and for weighing in with your thoughts about his choice of “treatment”.

I was a great Jim Morrison/Doors fan and saw them play around 1969. I later became a Val Kilmer fan, so you can imagine how excited I was to see the merging when Val played Jim.

You wonder what people are thinking, especially when you hear in the news of some child not taken to the doctor because of the parents belief. It’s best to not even watch the news sometimes! ~Elle

4. There are several religions that don’t condone medicine. Not sure I understand why. Fortunately I don’t belong to any of them! Hi ho, hi ho, it’s off to the doc I go!

5. When I read the article the other day, I too, was surprised at his belief. I have prayed while being rolled into surgery and pray until they say count backwards from 100…. Lord be with…100…..m….9zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….. I do believe the Lord answers prayer. I also believe He gave doctors the wisdom and understanding on how to fix and heal and restore. Great article.

6. pmahaney says:

Val Kilmer… loved his portrayal of Doc Holiday. What guy wouldn’t want to possess that kind of honesty about who you are as a person. However that kind of acceptance when it comes to your health seems equally hard to come by when it comes to men in real life. My wife has to drag me to the doctors office. I really wish Val well.

7. Arthur Seder says:

Thanks for helping to expose Christian Science for the dangerous, crackpot religion that it is – different from other religions only in the particular insanity they choose to make their cornerstone. I’ve borne personal witness to the damage it does to bodies and lives.

• Didn’t mean to hit a nerve, but the fact he wouldn’t see a doctor certainly got my attention since he waited till he was pretty sick.

• micklively says:

Sorry to encroach on your blog Susannah.
      Arthur: it’s an interesting point you raise. From my (devout atheist) standpoint, the Christian Scientists seem to be more honest (though maybe also, as you suggest, more insane). Surely it’s the soft Christians we should be taking issue with; those who “edge their bets”; those who don’t “put their trust in the lord”; those who don’t really believe what they say they believe?

8. I agree with you, Susannah. I believe in prayer but God gives us science as well, so it’s almost spiritually arrogant to demand God do a miracle instead of just going to the doctor. Glad he’s okay though. What frustrates me is how some people lose their faith in God over this sort of thing, when they die after refusing to go to the doctor. I think God believes in common sense too.

If one was feeling particularly picky, one might ask why any Christian should fear death since, presumably, that’s the moment they all enter paradise. But they do fear it because, deep down, they all know the truth and how far it lies (no pun) from scripture.