East Meets West

Coming back on a crowded train, I watched a very homespun looking older gentleman, definitely a tourist, accidentally hit a Hispanic kid in the face with his elbow.

OOPS

If I had to guess, I’d say he hailed from Oklahoma or Iowa having a front porch gleam in his eye.

I watched the kid reach for his nose to see if it was bleeding, his face clenched like a fist.

Like any New Yorker who has seen it all, I waited for the explosion…hey watch it man…what the fuck.. but was greatly surprised by the reaction of the older man who took his palm, gently touching the young man’s cheek without saying a word.

I watched how that moment of potential aggression was nipped right in the bud.

Had a Saint Francis feel to it…images-2Let us sow loveWhere there is injury, PARDON.

a very sweet, tender moment indeed.images

This entry was posted in kids, Love, New York City and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to East Meets West

Being an inveterate clumsy twat, I learned the benefits of humility early on in life.
    Lovely tale Susannah.

2. I don’t know why we make everything so difficult. This is proof that kindness is so simple and has huge results.
    You are so right that this could have taken a whole other route.

Humanity is alive and well if we just look for it. Thanks for sharing this story, Susannah.

4. pmahaney says:

Love those exceptions to every rule.

5. bob181 says:

How do you remember me? You asked yesterday. I was a 16 year old kid you a senior. You were not condescending but treated me as a peer. That was a big deal for a young kid. Almost 45 years later the kid grew up but never forgot the kindness. Remember Neil Young’s song “heart of gold” ?Well susannah if the shoe fits…

6. Nice story. Perhaps his age helped too. Sounds a little grandfatherly. Kindness can ease a lot of pain.

Sometimes it takes that one little act of kindness to turn things around in the right direction. This proves true for many situations! ~Elle

8. MJ says:

Thanks for another delightful NYC parable with such evocative characterizations. Susannah, It really does seem miraculous that this exchange didn’t escalate into something ugly. The kid “with the face clenched like a fist”, like so many macho youngsters, could easily have reacted to being touched with a violently homophobic response. But that gentle soul with “a front porch gleam in his eye” evidently had a special presence, and the kid—amazing grace!

9. That is such a tender gesture to make; I can see why it would defuse the situation. What I’m used to (Korea) the old man would likely pretend he didn’t do anything, out of embarrassment or maybe just apologize.