Whippet Good

My days keep getting stranger.

I got a call from Joey the doorman asking if I’d do him a favor…would I walk a whippet for him on the weekend. He has a sideline where he takes care of dogs in his building. It’s how we met…he walks Mr. Kato, the rottweiler, Carmela’s ex boyfriend. I’m sure you’re wondering why they broke up. It was all her. She didn’t want to be tied down to a long-distance relationship. Can’t blame her. When you’re a basset hound, Brooklyn may as well be Berlin.

But I’m digressing.

“Of course Joey,” I said, always willing to help, plus walking a whippet was the closest I’d ever come to being a dominatrix…hardy har har.

Now please remember the only dog I’ve ever walked is Carmela who strolls as if she were Aunt Bee. I wasn’t quite prepared for Tippy who gallops at 50 miles per hour. Imagine walking Secretariat, then you’ll have an idea…images-1

I couldn’t have gotten a breed more opposite than a basset. Tippy looks positively anorexic in comparison to Carmela who needs spanx to get into her coat. And bassets do have a sense of humor after all. images-3

Tippy and I didn’t bond at first since I was afraid he’d break.

However, when I heard his story, things changed.

I assumed this ritzy family living in the penthouse bought him since you don’t see many rescued whippets, an acquired taste to be sure.

Turns out, they adopted him from a shelter in Massachusetts having been abandoned…left alone to fare for himself.

After sobbing on Joey’s newly pressed uniform, Tippy and I became fast friends even after he took me for a unexpected run down Park Avenue. There were these two joggers who passed us when suddenly we were along for the ride. Would have been fine if I wasn’t wearing corduroys and ballet flats.

I then realized Tippy was naked, his coat nowhere to be seen, forcing us to backtrack. There it was, thank God, lying in the middle of the sidewalk on 70th and Fifth.

I would have had lots of splainin to do if I came back without it.

Tippy, when I brought him home, was shaking suggesting they wrap him in a blanket in case he caught a chill. images-2

Joey then handed me an envelope as I was leaving…25 smackers in cash.

I was tempted to give it back, but then thought, hmm…this would just about pay for lunch at my favorite bistro.

HOTDOG…as it were πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in animals, humor, Love, New York City and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Whippet Good

1. Tippy could be on the cover of Vogue. By the way I damn near spit my coffee out at the comparison of Carmella to Aunt Bea … hahaha! Hilarious!

Bonding with Tippy AND. lunch! Sounds as though that was the start of a great day! I can see the start of a new career. Susannah the dog walker. ~Elle

Susannah, glad to hear Tippy was a rescue. I’m sure he enjoyed his walk, I mean run!

4. AF says:

I loved this. Really made me laugh!

5. backonmyown says:

Clever writing, Susannah. I still love your creative titles too.

6. pmahaney says:

Walking Secretariat LOL LOL that conjured up such an image. I couldn’t stop laughing.

• Tippy is fast…it’s in his blood. I, on the other hand, am more southern at heart…Carmela and I have much in common…we both prefer tooling rather than racing like we’re drugged lunatics. I’m certain she’d agree, especially of food was involved.

7. MJ says:

So funny, Susannah, from the lowdown on Carmela’s break-up with Mr. Kato (“When you’re a basset hound, Brooklyn may as well be Berlin”) to that whippet-in-a-blanket pic! Crikey, what a phallic image!

• Yes, Carm is a heart breaker alright. Mr. Kato has been very depressed since the split. He tried dating a golden doodle he met in the park, but he realized, she was just not his Tubala. Joey told me he’s thinking of joining a seminary.

8. Would have been fine if I wasn’t wearing corduroys and ballet flats. So sorry but that line had me laughing out loud! Surprised you didn’t lose your shoe and isn’t it a little cold for ballet flats young lady???? Picking up the occasional gig from Joey doesn’t sound like a bad idea. You must get a chastity belt for Carmela. Whatta ho!

9. I once house sat for some people who had two retrievers and those dogs could run. They pulled me off my feet more than once when they got going. Dogs like that are good exercise though. πŸ™‚