Pulled Up By The Roots – Friday Fictioneer

This is my second time writing flash fiction, brevity being a challenge for me.

The photograph Rochelle kindly posts needs to speak to you, you answering on the page in 100 words or less. Doesn’t have to be Pulitzer Prize winning, but it should be fun.

Many thanks to Rochelle rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com and my good pal David greenwalledtower.wordpress.com, both first-rate Fictioneers.

frost-on-a-stump-sandra-crook

Pulled Up By The Roots

by Susannah Bianchi

It was the night of Hurricane Sandy I found out about you and her, that bitch I thought was my friend.

You said I was crazy, paranoid, lookin for a fight, but I smelled her cologne.  How smug you were not even bothering to shower – or merely stupid.

We were in the park when we weren’t supposed to be. You called me feral, just because I threatened to scratch both your eyes out.

But when that tree fell, and you grabbed me by the waist pulling me outta the way…

that’s when I knew how much I loved you…

you sonovabitch.

This entry was posted in animals, Love, New York City, sex, sexual relationships, war, Women and men, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Pulled Up By The Roots – Friday Fictioneer

Good work Susannah! Sounds like the beginning of an interesting read…~Elle

• I’m so disgusted with this site and myself. I have been trying for 2 hours to link this piece with their site. I have done everything to the letter. Not only do I feel like an idiot, but I could have been writing all this time. I’m so angry.

• Elle Knowles says:

I haven’t done anything with that link stuff but it looks interesting. I’m going to check it out when I get a minute. If I figure it out I’ll let you know! ~Elle

• I’m so mad, I’m done. Just wrote and posted my ire wrapped in good riddence. I’m so sick of the fucking internet. I am. I wish I were alive during the days of typewriters and hard mail, where everything wasn’t so Spockish, no disrespect to the late L.N.

2. I was a nice twisty piece. I could see you in the story. Glad you posted here!

3. Susannah, what vivid characters you create here with just a few words! That guy sounds like a slimy douche. I can sense all the conflicting emotions in the narrator though, especially with the last two lines. A truly great story. Well done. 🙂
    -David

4. Solothefirst says:

Oh wow, such emotion. Great work Susannah. Such anger and frustration!

5. Wonderful story. I could feel the conflicting emotions.

6. Could be a great opening to some new book of yours. I liked it! :O)

7. I love the narrator’s tone of voice in this piece – she hates herself for loving him… perhaps a bit like you seem to love and loath the internet 😉
    Claire

8. Dear Susannah,

I’m glad you were able to link, I’d hate to have missed this one. I could smell her friend’s cologne with her. Oh those conflicting emotions we women have. The last line sums it up and made me smile. Well done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

9. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Susannah,

Why do I wish for the tree to have taken him out even a she was saved by him. Would have solved both of their problems. Sometimes, just sometimes, love is really a hard taskmaster.

Great story and welcome back.

Aloha

Doug

• That’s so funny. You tickled my dark sense of humor.

• mjlstories says:

I SOOO agree with Doug – she should have pushed him back under that tree. Great last line.
      Do keep posting. Even though the technical bit hurts it’s worth it. Thought I’d finally got the linking thing straight and then this week managed to direct everyone into the hallowed private parts of my blog – saved by Rochelle.

• So it’s not just me? I was so frustrated. David Stewart came to my rescue but it bothers me I couldn’t do it. Yeah, all men who cheat should be pushed under falling trees as a warning to others. I’m humming the song…it’s Witchcraft.

That’s a revelation: I thought it had to be exactly one hundred words!
    I just love the way you say so much with so little.

11. AnElephant thinks this is terrific
    He is quite sure that you are no fool
    So don’t even think it
    Even if you can’t link it
    You are AnElephant’s friend and you’re cool

12. Great story. I was thinking that perhaps he saved her over the girlfriend from the falling tree and this made her decide she still loved him. A gentle shove his way though wouldn’t have hurt. Hope to see you back again.

13. There is nothing better way to a girl’s heart than saving her life… and just maybe he will stay away from mistresses too….