A Boy In The Band – Friday Fictioneer

david-stewart Photo David Stewart greenwalledtower.wordpress.com

I couldn’t help myself when I saw this picture, plus my buddy took it.  Made me think of lazy summers sprawled on blankets with a sweetheart, drinking wine out of paper cups.  Also made me want to be a musician.

Welcome once again to Friday Fictioneers.  To be inspired by a photograph in 100 words or less. Thanks Rochelle. https://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.

A Boy In The Band

No one said it was fancy.  Sure’s a far cry from CBGBs or the Mudd Club.  Hadda go out and get me a white shirt.  Got one at the Salvation Army for 6 bucks.  Has a stain on the tail, but tucked in it don’t show.

Can’t wait ta tell Patti and Lenny I’m fine-ly playin the big time.

There’s food, and we’re gettin paid.  Ain’t that somethin?

It’s so nice and cool, a breeze blowin through my hair.  Like being in a church, just with no windows.

Woulda played for free, even without the food.

This entry was posted in food, friendship, humor, Love, music, New York City and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to A Boy In The Band – Friday Fictioneer

1. Solothefirst says:

Lovely! I can feel the love of the music!

Love the language, Susannah. I can hear him saying every word.

3. AF says:

Love it. I could feel the joy.
    PS: I’ve been to the mud club.

4. Lynn says:

Listening to music outdoors on a summer evening is the best!

This title and picture caught my eye because of so much music in my life. Not me – H and Andrew. This could have been one of them back in the day – probably Andrew! Great post! ~Elle

6. Sonya says:

Love the narrator’s voice. Fab story!

7. Sonya says:

Well, I’ve been to the 100 Club and CBGB’s 🙂

8. You totally caught the use of slang in this piece. Nicely done.

9. Michael B. Fishman says:

The narrator’s love of music came through strongly.

• There are so many musicians like him I actually know. It’s all about the instrument he plays, what they all live for. I can’t help be envious in a way. Though I do love to write but can’t seem to make a living from it. Thanks for reading. I just fell in love with David’s photograph.

10. Great lingo, with real rhythm to it, and handled most skilfully 🙂

11. Shivangi says:

Poetic, rhythmic work…

12. milliethom says:

So well written, Susannah, and I love the tone of the narrator’s voice. He comes across as easy to like and a person who asks for little in life other than to be able to eat and pay his bills – and play the music he loves. Very nice. 🙂

13. mjlstories says:

It’s the details that bring this to life – I’ve worn a few shirts like that.

14. rogershipp says:

‘There’s food, and we’re gettin paid.’ …’ Like being in a church, just with no windows.’

Loved those two lines!

15. plaridel says:

lovely language. it fit your story to a ‘T’.

Amazing how I feel like I know (and like) this character after so few words, and with no physical description. Great job, Susannah!

• This flash fiction business is interesting to me. As you know when we blog there are no rules nor boundaries, so to have to stay within the parameters of 100 words, you choose them very carefully. Great lesson in discipline. Thanks Skinny, as always.

17. I love this piece, especially the last line. That’s passion!

18. erinleary says:

Lovely story with a great voice.

19. bob181 says:

Susannah -it’s Saturday and snowing in Connecticut. I’ve posted a picture to my WordPress site( bob1811Wordpress.com ). It sums up how we all feel at this point. Stay warm, Bob.

20. Is there a “how-to” thingy for writing such wonderful pieces? Very well done!

21. A true musician will play for free just for the love of music. This story showcase his excitement and thrill.
    A really nice story. 😀

• That is so true. I feel like that about my writing. I’m always submitting to places without pay. It’s the love for what you do that brings you the most joy. That musician represents so many. Thanks.

22. Lovely… A passion for music and for life. I love the language and the detail of the White shirt.

• I wrote and told David Stewart how much romance his photograph inspired, and there’s certainly that where music is concerned. Thanks. Speaking of the R word, you displayed that better than anybody. 🙂

23. Liz Young says:

I could hear that boy’s voice right through your story – well done.

• Thanks. That made me feel good. It’s hard to keep the cadence going without error. I was thinking I should take the…the, from the Mudd Club. It’s all so interesting this flash fiction genre. Thank you for reading.

24. Dear Susannah,

There’s a boy who loves his music. 😉 I loved his voice in this.

Shalom,

Rochelle

25. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Susannah,

Nice patois and dialogue. A very down home feel to this prodigal son’s return story. Well done.

Aloha,

Doug

26. Thanks for doing this one, Susannah. Plus, I like being your buddy. 🙂 I hope you never stop writing, if only for me (how selfish is that, eh?) Your writing is a joy to read.

27. Margaret says:

Most enjoyable, and such a convincing and likeable character – well told.

28. gahlearner says:

I thoroughly enjoyed this, great voice with a lovely story.

29. Taygibay says:

You know I just clicked your piece on account of the pretty girl with the green sweater, right?
    Still, how nice that the writing is beautiful as well, Tay.