Susannah Lays Down With The Lamb

I cried every Easter as a kid because my mother served lamb. images-2 When she finally switched to ham, I was already in therapy.  Why a pig in the oven bothered me less remains a mystery.  But that lamb was another story.

I had what was called a Biblical Encyclopedia my parents read to me when I was small.  I loved all the animals, especially the lambs.  They were so cute cuddling up to their moms making me ask for one every Christmas not understanding why I couldn’t have one.

The bible is very violent and needs a rewrite in my opinion.  The blood of the lamb, the sacrificial lamb.  Come on, I was 4 not quite grasping why you’d kill a poor baby animal. What was next, kittens…me?

My mother, with her Lizzie Borden leanings, would laugh even when I had nightmares the night before.  I remember asking my dad if we could go rescue the lambs before all the moms cooked them.

No wonder he drank.

Then, after being rather ecstatic over my Easter Basket stacked with enough chocolate to  kill me, I had to face dinner.  “No no, just potatoes for me.”  My mother would go nuts and say, if I didn’t eat my lamb there would be no chocolate.  Hmm, this wasn’t good news to this candy crackhead who waited cheerfully for her annual stomach ache.

She’d make me sit there with slabs of it on my plate while I sobbed ruining everyone’s meal.   My grandmother, my mother’s mother, one year reached over and slapped me so hard I fell off my chair.  As you can see, love and understanding ran in the family.

It was the best thing that could have happened since I was then sent to my room where Fluffy the cat paced nervously wringing her paws while l told her everything, appreciating how she never commented, just listened.  images-3 Now there’s a concept.

And as for that Easter basket confiscated as part of my punishment, my grandfather would knock on the door and say, “I’d like tua speak tua Soo-zee.”  I of course would let him in knowing his vest pockets would be packed with candy.

Happy Easter everyone, and think about serving fish.

Susannah        images-1

This entry was posted in animals, Books, food, humor, parents and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Susannah Lays Down With The Lamb

We have ham, Susannah. I can understand your aversion to cute lambs. The last part of my childhood was spent on a farm. No one wanted to eat Arnold (our only pig). When it came to beef, we always made Daddy-O promise it wasn’t Berta or Iva or any other well known favorite.

I won’t be serving lamb of course because I just don’t care for the taste of it. I think it’s an acquired taste. My girls used to show sheep for 4-H. They would raise them for a year and then some guy would come and sheer them. He wanted no payment, only the wool. Then off we would go to the fair to show and sell. I have no idea what happened after they were sold but I have my thoughts on that. I don’t think the girls processed that thought any farther then pocketing the money they were paid! Have a Happy Easter Susannah! ~Elle

3. I’m with you. No lamb here!

4. bob181 says:

The teenage girl i sat next to was warm , kind , and sensitive to other people. I was attracted to your beauty – inner beauty , your personality. Your physical beauty was a distant second to your great big heart. I’ll never understand how someone like you came from such a gothic environment. It’s heart breaking to hear how you were abused . Have a happy Easter . Sincerely, Bob

5. Lynn says:

No lamb here either! Good to know your Grandpa at least had a soft side. Sounds like he may have been taking his life in his hands, stuffing his pockets & escaping to spend some time with his “Soo-zee”! How sweet – melted pocket eggs aside! Happy Easter my friend. Hope the sun shines there in the big city!

6. Rubenstein, Hal says:

Loved today’s blog, certainly stand-up is in your future, extremely funny !
    Best,
    Hal

Susannah Bianchi posted: “I cried every Easter as a kid because my mother served lamb. When she finally switched to ham, I was already in therapy. Why a pig in the oven bothered me less remains a mystery. But that lamb was another story. I had what was called a Biblical Ency”

7. hal says:

I can surely understand not eating lamb, never really had a good spiral ham until my teens. I just didn’t think parents could be that mean. I guess I was just lucky, but grandparents are suppose to be sneaky and warm…best to you and HE

8. I’ve never acquired a taste for lamb. Perhaps I subconsciously feel like Clarice Starling and imagine them crying. I know friends who will not eat ham for similar reasons. Unfortunately I never discovered that aversion to our little pink friends. Hearing the stories about your childhood Susannah makes me happy you’ve grown up. Happy weekend. :O)

9. Never touched lamb, never will. Yesterday I was at Whole Foods and saw a huge package from the meat counter in someones cart and you know I had to see what he hell that was …. sure enough it was lamb. I hope I didn’t say bitch out loud, but who knows.
    Have a lovely Easter and go bite the ears off of a tall dark chocolate bunny!

10. It sounds like Easter must still bring back painful memories of those meals. We never had lamb growing up, but I don’t think you could find it in Newfoundland. We did have seal once and Mom told my sister it was zebra, since she knew she wouldn’t eat seal. We got suspicious when the meat changed to giraffe mid-meal… 🙂
    I hope you have a great Easter,
    David

Maeve works for a butcher and still won’t eat lamb. I don’t understand why baby cattle, pigs, chickens and fish are more deserving of death than baby sheep, but logic and emotion ever were poor bed-fellows.

12. Dear Susannah,
    I went on a cruise during Easter, once. They were serving lamb that night. I casually said, “I don’t eat lamb. Your know God and the lamb and all those bible verses”. Everyone (strangers piled together at a table) were hysterically laughing and thought I was crazy. WOW … it feels good to know I’m not the only messed up Catholic. Phew … perhaps, there is a God. 😁
    Funny but so totally true in my eyes. I enjoyed this read. Thanks for posting.
    Belated Easter Blessings !!!
    Isadora