Temper Temper

There’s a runner in the park I’d like to kill.  You usually see him trying to woo women by showing them around wearing American flag shorts.  It’s the only time I’ve ever wanted to burn the flag.

He likes to say things as he prances by like,  you’re in the wrong lane lady, or you’re going in the wrong direction.  I mean, who the fuck died and made him head of Central Park?

There’s a great expression in 12 Step – Don’t pick up the rope…meaning…do not engage because if you do the first thing going south is your peace so it better be worth the confrontation.

This man has been saying things to me for a very long time so yes,  I finally picked up that rope twirling it like Buffalo Bill, and just like the Big Book says, my peace made skid marks possibly to Poughkeepsie.

“FUCK YOU YOU CREEP.”

Yes, my retort was very original alright, but what came to me later was how angry I was.  I could have grabbed him by his scrawny neck no problem, throwing him into the bushes – a talent inherited from my mother who could have scared King Kong.

It’s 6:45 in the morning and there is no right or wrong way.  The attendance is sparse at best since it’s still so damned cold, the seasonal joggers in their brand new running clothes some still sporting tags (another essay) have yet to make an appearance.

To think you have the right to direct someone is awfully arrogant, I don’t care if you are wearing the original 13 colonies across your ass.

My ire was so up smoke may have been billowing from my ears.

I turned and said, “Hey, asshole…if you harass me one more time, I’ll report you to the Park Police.”

Typical of all swarmy men, he ran away.

Like a boxer whose fists are considered weapons, my anger needs to be monitored and kept under wraps.

Lucky for him I’m aware of that or that flag would be at half mast…images-1 permanently.

This entry was posted in Fashion, History, humor, New York City and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Temper Temper

1. Lisa says:

I’d say you did the right thing in saying you’d report him. Hopefully it will make him think twice before he does that again.

Do you remember the joke about the Master of Quick Wit and Repartee’s Brother? 😉

3. Hahaha! I must laugh because I’ve been in a situation where I really really tried to be nice for too long and then BAM! I must say it feels good. For me it was the self anointed chief of the food police. A co-worker on a diet who condemned the rest of us for eating. I could still kill….

• They must belong to some kind of know it all club. I’m always amazed at the arrogance. If someone was on fire I’d ask before I turned on the hose. You know what I’m saying? And I saw him this morning and once again screamed at him. I really may report him since he’s now wrecking my only assured hour of peace. UGH

4. Bob says:

I have to admit i’m glad you didn’t let this guy abuse you like the guy that made fun of your hearing loss on the subway ( last weeks post ). My comment on your Friday post was a feeble attempt at humor. It wasn’t meant to be sarcastic . I’m sorry if it was inappropriate comedy . I’ll stick to accounting and let you handle the humor and writing .

5. Loretta says:

A good Monday morning laugh, but not for you I’m sure 🙂

• It’s so disturbing. Years ago there was a nutty girl who when she went by, would spit at me. I finally went to the cops who brought her in. First she denied it then it turned out she was bipolar on meds. You know Loretta, life is odd enough without being targeted by looney tunes, I don’t care how nice it finally is outside. Thanks for writing.

I will give that little expression “pick up the rope” to H. He may have to pick it up sometime soon! This made me laugh even though you were not a happy camper Susannah. Must be the way you tell a story! ~Elle

• Picking up the rope is a gem alright and so true. Its sister slogan is – How Important is it? We get fatoosted so easily. Peace is more valuable then the average nut in red white and blue, yet I did it again this morning. My blood pressure yelling at him must have zoomed.

7. Amy says:

Haha, I am a runner and have had a few such encounters as well. I think your reaction was well-timed. 🙂

8. That’s one way to get your heart rate up!

9. It must be in the air… I lost my temper yesterday and at church no less! We go to a very small, very informal church. Last week while on the beach for a sunrise service, a mother walked over and handed me her baby to hold, didn’t ask if I wanted to hold him. But, her other son was not feeling well and it was cold and early, so I held the baby. Then yesterday, I was sitting enjoying conversations and someone walked over to me and thrust this same child into my arms. Then he proceeded to throw up on me, not once, not twice, but four times… I usually don’t mind, but hubby and I were going to go out and run errands after church and I didn’t want to smell like sour milk…. It set me off and I have yet to truly calm down. It’s like that set it off and it’s like unleashing a hurricane of frustration! I so get this post….

10. I think we need this guy to come to my house. I need to get my cardio going.

11. I love your righteous anger, Susannah. 🙂