A Stolen Word

images-4I woke up this morning with the word filch in my head.  After looking it up I thought, what the hell was I dreaming…did I knock off a bank in my sleep?

Filch
verb..to pilfer or steal (something, especially a thing of small value) in a casual way : I was promptly accused of filching that last sliver of pie.

Swipe, thieve, take or loot…nick, nab, rob or lift.

To liberate, rip-off or just plain take something that’s not yours.

Wow, that dream I had must have been really something.  No more cold pizza for me before going to bed.

When in my life have I filched an item not belonging to me.  Hmm, the lipstick I slipped into my pocket when I was just a wee teen.  My mother’s bra I used as a holster during my Dale Evans period.

Candy I said I wouldn’t buy, stealing it instead.  Slipping a few bucks from a boyfriend’s pants pocket while he slept it off…for taxi money.  I mean a girl needs to get home doesn’t she.

Yes, I’ve certainly done my share of filching, no question.

I’m not exactly Bonnie Parker, but I’ve poached and pirated, purloined and pinched never looking the least bit back.

But I ask you, who hasn’t?

🙂

SB

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

About Susannah Bianchi

I'm just a girl who likes to write slightly on slant. I've had a career in fashion, dabbled in film and to be honest, I don't like talking about myself. Now my posts are another matter so I will let them speak for themselves. My eBooks, A New York Diary, Model Behavior: Friends For Life and Notes From A Working Cat can be found on Amazon.com. Thanks.
This entry was posted in humor, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to A Stolen Word

  1. Oh guilty as charged. :O)

    Like

  2. Filch is such a great word. I love purloin as well, although I’m sure I’ve never actually used that in a sentence before.

    Like

  3. micklively says:

    Now that you’ve revealed your criminal past, I’ll send the Feds round.
    Filch is a good word. I worry about your dreams though. 😉

    Like

  4. skinnyuz2b says:

    Susannah, I didn’t know you were so shifty! Not just while awake, but sleeping too!
    When younger, I took a piece of candy from a bag that was split open on a grocery shelf. In 1993 and1996 I took a couple of Aeroflot blankets as souvenirs. I guess I’m pretty shifty too!

    Like

  5. Looks like we all have a hooligan side to us. Sorry, but candy in those big bins are just too tempting.

    Like

  6. Elle Knowles says:

    There is a post I want to do about dreaming. If I didn’t dream I would probably not be as tired I the mornings! I’m sure we all have done our share of filching – some more than others! 😉 ~Elle

    Like

  7. AZMike says:

    My word I thought was clever to use was “cook”, as in put a good cook on it or to it. Then I looked it up and evidently my mom was right in scolding me for using it. I guess I was the only one, everyone else seems to associate it with “filch”, “They cooked the books.” as in Enron and others.
    I was listening to Dan S. Kennedy talk about stealing. 5% can’t help themselves, when they die they’ll have to screw them in the ground cuz’ they are so crooked. 5 % are on the other end if they were starving they would still have to get permission to take rotten bread from a garbage can. Then there’s the other 80% that will steal under the right circumstances; no one will catch me, it’s not really hurting anyone, it’s just (fill in the blank).
    I had my moments in the moral majority column, I don’t know where I heard this but it applies to me even though I practice “The Golden Rule” as much as I can. Here it is, “they have a larcenous heart”, I see stuff, easy-peasy, no ones watching, it aint nailed down, then I remind myself, “Mike your not a thief.” 🙂

    Like

  8. I love discovering new words. I use them or misuse them and then after a while I forget them. Good thing there are so many obscure fun words out there waiting to be rediscovered. Shrimp forks? I would think you Mom got more than that especially out of the butcher!

    Like

  9. AZMike says:

    I had hoped to catch some flack on my math. I was sure someone would say, “Mike, 5% + 5% + 80% is only 90%, where is the other 10%?”
    And the wise guy would crack, “I guess the church filched it”. 🙂

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s