Carmela Finds Her True Home

First I’d like to thank everyone for their unstinting compassion towards me and Carmela these past couple of weeks.

To say there have been some curves along the way is an understatement.

For those of you who may not know, Carmela is a basset hound I’ve been lovingly walking for a little under two years, and the family on a whim, decided to give her away.

Last you knew, I had gone to Brooklyn two weeks ago to find her no more, the maid tearfully telling me she was gone.

The chef came out with Kleenex and a puff pastry to say, she went to a family in Connecticut who has three dogs.  My heart broke when I saw her bed and toys no longer where they used to be.

I left in such tears, the commercial being filmed in front of their house in Brooklyn Heights stopped production to see if I was okay.

I wasn’t, I was mewling, but what’s a thin girl to do, but to keep on keepin on.

The following Friday at around 8 at night, I get an email from a lovely, loyal follower who sent me a link with the question:  Is this your Carmela?

It was to the Tri-State Basset Hound Rescue site.  I wasn’t even going to look thinking, Carm is with a family, it couldn’t be her.  Well my curiosity, thank God, got the best of me because lo and behold, who was not in Connecticut with a family and three dogs.

She was actually with a wonderful foster mom named Sharon with about 8, but I’m jumping ahead of my story.

To say I was shocked cannot describe how I felt.  A chill ran from my feet to my head, like I was suddenly submerged in ice cold water.

There she was, my Carm, like in a Match.com ad.  Head shot, full lengths.  Weight…age.  I half expected to read, I love to bake, knit and zumba on my day off.

I immediately put in a bid like an over aggressive suitor, but what got my attention were the words on top of the page…ADOPTION PENDING.

I called my friend Chris who has two chihuahuas he’d go to the chair for who said, “Just get her…do what you have to. I’ll pay whatever it is.”

MJ, who found her said, “I’ll drive.”

It was like breaking her out of jail.  Then my pal Amy, always the voice of reason said, “Calm down Susannah, just write to them.”

So I did, and did I go for broke.  I told them everything, from how we met, to how close we were and how carelessly she was treated at home.

I compare getting her as a puppy, like those who get bunnies on Easter then dump them at the ASPCA when it’s over.

Let’s just say, Carm’s charm crashed fast.

I sent pictures that showed what a loving, sweet dog she is, and they immediately wrote back.

Let me say, the women at Tri-State Basset Hound Rescue are the kindest on earth.  Our story, Carmela’s and mine, resonated with these rescue workers who have been keeping me updated on Carmela’s well-being.

Heroes they are, with hearts the size of Venus.

Yes, a couple had already gotten there ahead of me, but after all I’ve learned, they appear to be the perfect parents for our girl…semi-retired with a big yard along with a French Bulldog, so Carm has an immediate four-legged friend.  And knowing her as I do, she will be mighty happy since she so loves other dogs.

Her former owners who promised they’d alter her didn’t, but Tri-State did and she came through beautifully.

It’s not exactly the perfect ending for me because I won’t see her again, but I’ll mend, and the most important thing in all of this is, Carmela will be safe and loved like she deserves.

Let’s have a round of applause for my girl who landed squarely on her big, sweet, silly paws.

If anyone would like to make a donation in Carmela’s name please, by all means.  And if you do, in the memo section, say it’s on behalf of her because I want Tubes, that little ambassetress of love, to get all the credit.

getPart

Thanks.

With much grace and gratitude,

Susannah                             getPart-3 With her new Mom.  Look at that affection already in play.  Way to go, Carm.

This entry was posted in animals, Faith, Family, friendship, Gratitude, Love and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Carmela Finds Her True Home

“All’s well that ends well” said the immortal bard. He never came up with “ambassetress” though (as far as I’m aware). 😉

2. Carmela you big ole lump of love working your charm and making everyone fall head over heels with you! You are indeed the “ambassetress of love.”

Thank God for the sharp eyes of your friend. I’m so happy that you get to have peace of mind. And I can’t even begin to understand the cold-heartedness of her previous owners. The important thing is that Carmella has a good home now.

So happy Carmela has a happy home and you have peace of mind! ~Elle

5. I’m with Mick. All’s well that ends well. I am so glad you can put this behind you because I know how it was eating you up!

6. Applauding loudly here Susannah!!!! :O)

7. That dog’s face is simply irresistible. I would kiss it ’till there was no fur left on it.

8. MJ says:

The Bard on bassets:
    “My hounds are bred out of the Spartan kind,
    So flewed, so sanded, and their heads are hung
    With ears that sweep away the morning dew,
    Crook-kneed, and dew-lapped like Thessalian bulls,
    Slow in pursuit, but matched in mouth like bells,
    Each under each. A cry more tunable
    Was never hollaed to, nor cheered with horn,
    In Crete, in Sparta, nor in Thessaly.
    Judge when you hear.”
    – A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act IV, Scene 1

But you put it more succinctly, Susannah: “Ambassetress of Love”

9. What a special dog. Who couldn’t fall in love with that face, really. This is a bittersweet ending to the saga, Susannah, but I’m glad it turned out well for Carmela. Hopefully she’s with people who appreciate her more than her former owners. You should write a book about the whole thing.

• A book huh. A bittersweet ending is the perfect way to describe it…now there’s a title. Want to thank you again David for sending a donation in Carmela’s name. Means a lot to me. Like knowing some of what hey spent was replenished.

10. Lynn says:

I am so happy that you at least know this beautiful, sweet being has been adopted into a family who will give her the love she deserves. Bittersweet, I know, but I hope there is some closure & contentment in knowing that.

11. Ally Bean says:

So pleased to find out that Carmela found a family who will love her and respect her. While the story is a bit bittersweet for you, I have to say that I’m charmed by the ending. What a great doggie who made such a positive impression on so many people– both real and virtual. Long may her tail wag and ears sway.

• I love what you wrote Ally. I can’t say how happy I am she got herself such a great home. Her new mother seems so kind and loving and I feel incredibly blessed to witness to how it all played out without any help or consideration from her previous owners. It’s rather miraculous when you think about it. Thank you so much for writing 😊

12. AZMike says:

Ditto what everyone else said Susannah. May this just be a needle in the haystack of great things coming your way.