For Pete’s Sake

images A waiter at the Three Guys Coffee Shop was hit by a car.  A man rounding the corner at 79th and Madison didn’t see him.  Sounds accidental, except for one thing…he was texting.

I’m always amazed more of this doesn’t happen when you see how the whole world is inappropriately on their phone.

Pete now has two broken legs, a fractured hip, a dislocated shoulder and three kids, not too convenient for a counter-man who serves a good 300 people a day.

I went to see him at Roosevelt Hospital shocked at what I saw.  This strapping fellow with the John Cassavetes eyes looked like a flimsy facsimile of his former self.  His pupils sunk deep in their pockets, his cheekbones sharp as glass.  He said it hurt even to eat because apparently when the car hit, he bit his lips till they bled.

I sat in a chair listening to him relive that horrible few minutes.  The doctors say, it might take as long as 6 to 8 months for him to be able to go back to work, and even then, will he be able to be the way he was…still a big question.

I asked about the driver…was he charged with negligence?  Were there any witnesses?

The answer is no to both questions unless you count Pete who was the only one who saw him texting.  He didn’t even look up right away, even as Pete slid beneath his Ford Mustang, allegedly finishing his text.

When he realized what happened, he stopped the car calling for an ambulance.

I am accosted by smartphoners everywhere I go.  How many times do I have to slide toward the curb because some cow is Tweeting.

There needs to be some type of new lawful policy to keep this dangerous habit going any more viral.

Do we write our congressman? Storm City Hall?  Technology is becoming a liability to those without boundaries and common sense.

We need to do something…for Pete’s sake.            images-1

This entry was posted in New York City and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to For Pete’s Sake

1. Well I doubt writing our congressman will do any good. We saw what happened with that after Sandy Hook. Storm City Hall might work, but you better have a pretty big storm. And since there are so many people without boundaries, or common sense, I think the rest of u are sadly outnumbered. I know… that doesn’t offer much hope for change, huh?

2. u…was suppose to be us… we are all in this together. But, I failed to type a letter—however, I think this comment took the place of a letter. Yikes! ;o)

There can be few acts more selfish (with the possible exception of drinking and driving). The police here are really atuned to it, encouraging folk to report any they see. It is (slowly) reducing. It’s just a shame for those who had to be maimed or killed before we learnt.
    I think we have a problem in law, though. Causing death by driving whilst texting is a much more serious offence than merely driving whilst texting. But it’s the same act, bar the throw of the dice for the result. As with attempted murder versus murder, I don’t understand why we make the distinction.

4. These days its harder and harder to find someone not on a phone, especially while driving. I’ve even seen police on their phone…come on! It’s at the point of being so natural people have lost sight of the potential harm…like Pete. An awareness campaign is in order!!

Susannah, the technology is already there, but the distributers don’t want to get the public mad. We can’t set our GPS while driving, so the same technology could prevent texting while driving.

• Great point. I’m a simple girl who would have done better traveling on horseback, like Teddy. Cars and all their speed unnerve me without the fancy technological bells and whistles.

6. Lynn says:

This has been come such an issue Susannah. Although we have laws here against texting &/or being on a cellphone while driving, it appears for most it has fallen on deaf ears. We had an uncover officer standing at a busy corner outside our office for a few weeks as they were conducting a blitz on charging drivers using their phone.

I was stunned at how many people he caught. To the drivers, he just looked like a guy hanging out on the corner. What they didn’t know as they were feverishly typing or chatting away, is that he was reporting them to his partner who was about a block up the street ready to pull them over. One after the other, he just kept picking them off. It was unbelievable.

I am so sorry for Pete that he is going through such a terrible time. Something that should never have happened. I hope he makes a complete recovery & the asshole who hit him has the book thrown at them!

• I love that you shared this. They should really do that here. It’s probably one of the worst corners in all of Manhattan since traffic comes four different ways, with only one light drivers tend to skim through. I shudder when I have to cross looking around, not assuming every car will yield for me, whether I have the right of way or not.

Pete really got slammed. I’m hoping this will at least alert the powers that be, something needs to be done at least on that corner. Thanks for writing.

Sorry about Pete. What a burden this will for his family. I hope they will have the help they will need while Pete recovers. Texting while driving is a growing problem. Wonder how we managed when the only phones to be had were attached to walls?

• So nice hearing from you. Been reading Day of Grace. I long for an old fashioned phone you’d have to sit in the kitchen with in order to use it. Not a fan of all this instant communication. Prefer taking pause, or paws in Teddy’s and Jack’s case.

• Patricia says:

I sometimes find myself obsessing about my phone…like if I don’t have it with me I get nervous or something. Weird. Life has been getting in the way of blog world. Trying to get back in the swing of things.

• My friend Amy just lost hers in a cab, like misplacing your baby. She had to order a new one…it’s such a big deal when you don’t have your cell. Shouldn’t be, but it is.

Blogging has so many redeeming features idling while we do other things…like double parking. Love State of Grace and understand why you took the comments off. Doesn’t really need to be questioned, just inspiring.

• Patricia says:

Thank you, Susannah. I am happy you find Day of Grace inspiring.

• I do, and how you take the time to write it so beautifully. It’s not your regular blog site by any means. It’s no easy feat being inspiring on a higher level. I’ve read other blogs touting divine expression and they usually leave me flat. Yours, never. Hope all is well. Is that Teddy I hear???

• Patricia says:

Thank you for the encouragement! I appreciate your kind words. Teddy is here next to me and says Meow.

• I love that he’s such a chatterbox. There’s nothing like a cat with a point of view. 🙂

How sad Susannah. They are cracking down around here. No texting and driving. But, it still runs rampant! I honestly don’t know how they do it at all. Must be better texters than I am. ~Elle

9. AnElephantCant text while he is driving
    He does not like to leave things to chance
    He has no consolation