Word Play

images I love language.  I think part of the reason is I never went to school, so learning has become such a passion for me, basking in the sounds of expression.

The word Quisling came a courtin’ making me take pause.  A traitor, collaborator, colluder, sympathizer; turncoat, deserter, double-crosser, defector, Judas, snake in the grass…one who conspires against.

Let’s call it what it is…a quisling is a real backstabbing shit.

Quisling comes from the name of Major Vidkun Quisling (1887–1945), the Norwegian army officer and diplomat who ruled Norway on behalf of the German occupying forces 1940–45 who blew their cover, the little rat.  He should only know he coined a word making him infamous for all eternity.

Benedict Arnold makes a cameo, that charmer spying on us for the British, a name  synonymous with “traitor.”

Along with Ben, my roster of cheatin hearts are marching out like a conga line.

My best friend from high school I caught red-handed giving my boyfriend a hand, as it were, while I hyperventilated in the doorway.  I heard she got really fat.  Come on, that was only fair.

A guy I lived with who was schtupping a barmaid every Thursday night after closing telling me he’d be a little late.  Gives last call all new meaning, doesn’t it.  She turned into a lesbian apparently now living with a gal named Doreen who sells high-end farm feed.

Don’t ever underestimate the joys of finding out what happened to those quislings in your life who thought breach of faith was a Milton Bradley game.

Loyalty is much more nobler than duplicity, deceit, double-dealing and fraud.  To swindle one’s trust for a 2 a.m. roll in the hay is kind of pathetic when you think about it.

And I personally don’t think it’s worth getting fat on fancy feed, doesn’t matter how good it may taste.

Words…where would we be without them?

Adrift, lost, disoriented and unmoored.

This entry was posted in humor, Uncategorized, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Word Play

1. Oh Suzanna, this is great material for for WordFued. My latest addiction . Quisling indeed, only YOU would fm have unearthed that one 🙂

I can’t wait to use this word, Susannah. Can’t believe I’ve never heard or read it.

3. Ally Bean says:

Fascinating. I enjoy learning about words. Now, I need to find a way to slip this word into everyday conversation. I’ve had no lack of quislings in my life, so it seems as if using that word should be easy to do.

4. Ah yes…quisling. I learned my ex has early stage dementia so his trophy wife will be nursemaid. Wonder if she’ll wear a cute little outfit with a hat. Of course she’ll probably warehouse him and go shopping for a new bozo. A real quisling…both of them.

I broke bread with a few quislings last night…and that’s all I’m going to say! 😉 ~Elle

6. And those you mentioned would truly be, verbally unmarked! 😀

Without words we would have nothing to say and we would have no books or blogs. Boring!

8. AZMike says:

Susannah, just don’t confuse that word with “quintessential”, one is awful and one is awesome. Like you. 🙂

You know I share your love of words. Quisling is, relatively speaking, a very new word. I mourn the beautiful old words that are falling from favour, such as imbibe, usurp, entourage, covet.

10. AZMike says:

Evidently I need to get out more which is funny since I drive for a living. Why I say this is I remember when you mentioned your mom was “one tough Biscotti”, you capitalized it so I thought it might be a maiden name. I just came across it being an Italian cookie, so your mom was one tough cookie. (Mom always said, “We’re Heinz 57’s”.) 🙂
    Dropped a FedEx load in Elizabeth, NJ today, pretty close to you in the grand scheme of things.