Looking Up

I’ve decided nature is my new church.  Being in the park each morning I can’t help but to think…wow…God is really showing off.  images

A man I knew, no longer with us, once told me to always look up since life in the treetops is where the fruit lies.

And I certainly have found this to be true.

Nests and carved boughs where raccoons doze during the day.  images-3 Hawks perched on branches viewing it all.  Squads of birds standing sentry protecting their own while squirrels scurry by, on their way someplace.  images-1

It’s as though Central Park is a duplex with different dramas on its upper floors.

Trees talk, something I learned from Bill Hicks who taught me to really look for their faces etched in the bark.

Mother Nature is no amateur when it comes to beauty, she just doesn’t preen as much as  hopes you’ll see it on your own.

There’s a rhythm to the flora as it sways in the wind, a beat I can tap into becoming one with her fabled orchestra…

and-ah-one-and-ah-two

When I see people on their phones ignoring their present, I want to yelp in protest.

Then a dog with a big smile trots by reminding me he gets it…and I get it…so all is not lost when you remember to just look up to nature’s altar brimming with beauty as birdsong beams you higher.

Have a great weekend. Looking up in a

SB  ti01082442Eddie Bauer ad

This entry was posted in animals, Beauty, Gratitude, nature, New York City and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Looking Up

Susannah, I love your uplifting reminder to enjoy life while we have it. I also love your photo ad.

2. When the student becomes the teacher comes to mind when reading this piece. Wise friends you had in your life to point this out, now thank you for passing it on. I have never looked at a squirrel the same since I started reading you.

• I just came back, and on cue there was a baby raccoon peering over the bottom part of the reservoir fence. Of course I had to stop. “Did you miss curfew again young man?” He looked at me as if to say, my mom’s gonna be so mad. Nature, she’s us at our best.

3. Lynn says:

This is what I love about riding my bike. Quietly peddling along, taking in mother nature & the beauty she provides. So often we walk or ride right by, never noticing the gorgeous vista right before our very eyes. Have a lovely weekend Susannah! I am off to spend some time with my daughter & her horse, another way to soak in all things good for the soul!

Mother Nature is at her best early in the quiet of the morning. Love walking through the park at this time of the day. As you know Susannah – it’s also the best time to reflect on your life and steer it in the right direction! Love the pic! ~Elle

5. Your post is the second I have read this morning about the beauty of nature. I am so with that. Sometimes I just want the quiet with birds chirping and frogs ribbiting but no lawn mowers or even yelling children to break the mood.

6. AF says:

I love what you wrote. I love the photo too!

7. Loretta says:

Beautifully written – it is so true though, it irks me to see folks walking with their heads looking downwards at their cell phones. They sure are missing nature’s appeal.

8. Very nice. We love to drive just ten minutes from here, and look out at the Sierra Mountains and listen to nature. We all get so busy that we forget to slow down and enjoy that natural beauty.

I love a sojourn with nature too, though Messrs Blackbird and Robin having a talent competition outside my bedroom window at 03:50 this morning has rather taken the edge off.

I love a sojourn with nature too, though Messrs Blackbird and Robin, engaging in a talent contest at 0350, outside my bedroom window, has given me cause to reconsider.

• Birds fascinate me…the way they engage with one other. Yesterday I watched geese do their morning toilette on a huge raft parked in the water. It was like a spa…cleaning under their feathers. Who was taking a little sun. All they needed was deck chairs and a pool boy.

11. I love the poetry of your words as you describe nature. So beautiful. Around here, the squirrels and birds have the run of the place. I think there are more of them than humans, actually. We also have rabbits run through our yard sometimes too. Nature is so beautiful.

Nature is God’s cathedral. People who don’t see it are missing true beauty a Wonderful that you have the park to walk in every day.nd are to be pitied.