Read Me Because I’m Compelling

images I know, such a haughty title…but so be it.

We writers want an audience, we’d be lying if we claimed differently.

This writer however, would rather have readers who truly loved her writing than the old…if you read me, I’ll read you variety.

It’s called, social networking folks.  What we need to do to build a following upon that dreaded P word…PLATFORM, for which we theoretically must stand…

an art in itself.

Trouble with this is it’s too manufactured.  As an avid reader, the authors I choose come to me more organically.  Take Anne Lamott for instance I discovered languishing on a library shelf…Some Assembly Required was the book written along with her son Sam, about his sudden fatherhood in his 20s while she became a rather young, hip grandma leading me to read five of her other books.  It was a love affair from the start having nothing to do with brokering a deal.

Now Anne, I’ll be more than happy to peruse anything you write, but what I need from you is guaranteed literary reciprocation.

Can you imagine saying anything like that, even subliminally?

Well, people do it all the time, bloggers in particular.  All they want are those stats to go up…how many hits they get, visitors from around the globe (I myself am big in Japan…who knew)?

I would rather have ten readers who truly like my prose than fifty who impersonally press my LIKE button.

I have a handful of online writers I read.  Some all the time, a few intermittently.

But I don’t read them as a bargaining chip.

For instance, I never miss Kate’s The Random 5 she puts up most Sundays…5 themes from her week she pens a pithy paragraph on.  It’s great not to mention clever and so wish I thought of it first.  And the reason I never miss it is because it’s that compelling.

A great word by the way meaning…evoking interest, attention, or admiration in a powerfully irresistible way.

See, that’s what you want, to aspire to inspire.  Whether I pick up David Sedaris, David McCullough or Babar Learns To Cook, it needs to come from a personal preference of prose.

I’ll read you if you read me sounds like a really lame bumper sticker.

Read me because I make you laugh, think and just overall better your day.

And while you’re at it…check out The Random 5, http://coffeekatblog.com/

you won’t be disappointed.   images-1Tell-em Babar sent you.

This entry was posted in Books, Family, History, humor, media, readng, words, writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Read Me Because I’m Compelling

Demand for readers far exceeds supply. It’s not difficult to see why: everyone likes to put their side of the story (even when there’s no story) and likes to believe they’re not talking to fresh air. You are different. You can turn the most mundane of encounters into a romp. It barely seems to matter whether there’s a story or not: your prose is enough. You could write about grass growing and I’d be there. And it’s fun when you respond to the opinionated drivel that I write but it makes no difference to whether I read you or not. I’m here for entirely selfish reasons. Long may you brighten my day!

I joined a writing forum years ago and it made the blogger ‘you read me, I’ll read you’ thing look tame by comparison. I just couldn’t do it. Made any stats meaningless.

Reblogged this on Finding Myself Through Writing and commented:
    Quality over quantity is what Susannah is after these days and shouldn’t we all be? It’s also what H has strived for in his band room all these years. Read Susannah at athingirl.com. Bet you will be back again and again… ~Elle

4. Thanks for the shout out. I so agree with you. There is a blogger I love who has never (as far as I know) visited my blog. I don’t care. I even contributed a post for a series she did. There are people with great statistics out there but they may not be my cup of mocha latte (not a tea drinker). At the end of the day, stats don’t turn into money, so I’d rather just read what I like. I do make an effort with new bloggers when I fall across one that I enjoy because I remember how much positive encouragement meant to me at the beginning (still does but I don’t hang on it). I love your stuff because it’s so believable and (dare I say) ordinary in a NYC way (which is definitely not ordinary). Love Camille and Carmela and the Scotsman and the animal lover and other rogues you find in life. You make me feel like I actually know NYC.

• Hey, if it isn’t Ms. Random 5 herself. Thanks for all the bot mots, and what we have in common besides Erma Bombeck, Jean Kerr, cats, Starbocks coffee and slanted humor I wish we could donate to science, is we both love to write. And that’s where the fruit is…everything else is just fur 🙂

I have never understood the i follow you you follow me thing. I wonder if they read all the blogs they follow? I would like to read more blogs but there is only so much time and there are books to read too. Often I read and don’t comment…sometimes I don’t have time and sometimes I have nothing to say.

• Someone once told me there was a very popular animal blogger who every day, would just hit 100s of LIKE buttons without reading anything, resulting in more than a 1000 followers. I remember how it shocked me in all my blogging innocence.

I think when you find a writer you like it’s a wonderful thing…then your patronage has a give and take effect that nurtures both. But this whole thing with numbers means zip, at least to me.

Wouldn’t you rather have a handful of us who are so inspired by A Day Of Grace rather than a group who barely reads it?

A rhetorical question there Madam. 🙂

6. MJ says:

Oh, social media be damned! I never miss a post because what you write IS compelling. I like a reliable dose of fresh, sophisticated, compassionate, inspiring commentary on the passing scene, and you never disappoint.

7. I know what you mean, Susannah. That’s why I read your blog whenever I can, because I like what you have to say. I used to read a ton of blogs in order to get them to read me back and it worked, but I just don’t have the time, energy, or interest anymore. I don’t want blogging to feel like work.
    Keep up the compelling writing!

8. You are how I start my day, that’s just how it is … end of story. I LOVE me some Kate too!

9. lbeth1950 says:

I feel like I just had coffee with y’all. come over to my house tomorrow.