Is That An Avocado In Your Purse?

I frequent a gourmet store in my neighborhood.  It’s actually the one I wrote about in Notes of A Working Cat.  notes-from-a-working-cat The cashier, I called Carmen, likes to sneak little gifts into my handbag having a habit of leaving it on the counter as I forage for food, to be found later.

I was in Joe Fresh buying cheap sandals.  My vintage Kate Spade mail bag is like the Bermuda Triangle, so as I dig for my wallet I could easily find oil, Atlantis and maybe even  Amelia Earhart.

The woman patiently waiting to ring me up looked at all the contents spilling onto the counter finally saying, “Um, is that an avocado in your purse?”

“Yes,” I said, “I believe it is.  Is Discover okay?”

This entry was posted in humor, money, New York City and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Is That An Avocado In Your Purse?

Maeve has a handbag like that: contains everything bar the kitchen sink and weighs half a ton. There’s an ecosystem in there; things growing legs and biodegradation to compost at the bottom. Like Felix the Cat on steroids.
    I am pleased to report she does not, as one woman confessed to me, carry a smaller handbag around within, just in case she loses the larger one.

2. Monty Hall would be proud.

I’ve pulled strange things from the depths of my purse, but an avocado? That is just too funny!
    My husband once had an employee pull a hamburger (that he began eating) from his pocket while they were talking. It wasn’t anywhere close to lunch time and the employee had not left the shop.

4. Love it! No flinching or explaining. Just the facts ma’am.

5. Lynn says:

Gah, I have a bag like this. I call it my Mary Poppins bag & I curse it every time I try to find something.

Too bad you didn’t have a tomato & a bit of onion, you could have made guacamole!

Haha Susannah. You have a special cashier to see you stay fit as a fiddle. Love the example of your purse. Mine sometimes reminds me of Mary Poppins carpet bag! ~Elle

Sounds normal to me. Monday I had a cucumber in my purse.

8. I used to have a chest of drawers as a child and the top drawer was like that. Everything I could fit in there was in there. My mother wanted me to straighten it out and I told her I knew were everything was. She smiled and named an item. I reached immediately into the pile in the drawer and brought out the object. I didn’t have to straighten it out.

9. AZMike says:

“Let’s face it, we women love bags. All our secrets end up in it one way or another. ” That should be emblazoned on one of those pinterest wall hangings. http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/550x/64/7b/70/647b70ef482989ee7ed7e7742ec22553.jpg

• How are ya Mike…you’ve been missing in action.

• AZMike says:

I’m good, thank you for asking. I was in your neck of the country today, picked up a load in North Bergen, NJ. I lurk a bit(sounds almost dirty), but sometimes I just like what you and your friends say and don’t want to impose any “Mikeism” to a great banter.
        You sound upbeat, are you having any fun?

• Actually no…have a big test tomorrow that has me a little freaked since they’re putting me under. I hate health issues. I was in such grand shape my whole life…talk about humility.

10. AZMike says:

Growing older should be a lot more fun. Too bad you can’t cheat on that test… but GOD could. 😉

11. That sounds like it should be part of a joke: “Is that an avocado in your purse?” 🙂 I like your answer. I guess it takes a lot to fluster you.