Sweet Interlude

As I was walking down 86th Street a woman holding a baby was coming towards me.  She was pointing to a tree explaining its blossoms.  I loved how intensely the child listened as if he understood every word she said.

“Teaching a little life lesson I see,” I said, slowing my pace.

“Well, you have to start somewhere,” she said, “and what’s better than a tree.”

The first thing I noticed was how mother and son had the same eyes which is so uncanny.  The mystery of genetics, how it takes a blueprint of a parent to reproduce and patent a scaled down model.

“What’s it like to see yourself in his itty-bitty face?”

Without taking pause she said, “Like the first time I ever looked into a mirror.”

Sigh

This entry was posted in Family, Home, kids, Love, nature, New York City, parents, words and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Sweet Interlude

Is love just genetics?

• You’re in love, you tell me.

• micklively says:

Folk were living and loving for around 250,000 years before they discovered they had genes. Just because I know they’re there, doesn’t mean I’m granted grandstand view of what they’re up to.
        Mothers love their babies (usually). It doesn’t matter if they’re pug-ugly brutes, they’re still loved. I guess that immediate and automatic bond is genetically driven. We probably wouldn’t be here otherwise.

• Put ugly, just love that. I wasn’t a very attractive baby having no neck to speak of. I looked like a cookie jar yet my mother proudly pushed me around in my stroller as if I was the top baby. Of course that ended once I had a vocabulary. I do think babies have their own language learning to say, fuck you ma, pretty early on. Considering how my mother cursed like a sailor, yes…genetics were in play.

• micklively says:

Almost a cue for a song: “You must have been a beautiful baby, ‘cos Honey…..”

• Ha Ha…a cookie jar Mick, I looked liked a cookie jar.

• micklively says:

I find that hard to believe. Anyroadup, there must have been a model in your genes (or jeans).

2. Lovely … just lovely! My sister’s son is just her in drag…it’s crazy.

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful slice of life.
    Our first and only grandchild (14 mo.) is the spitting image of our biological son. It’s like seeing him as a toddler and young adult at the same time.

4. Lynn says:

It is uncanny some days looking into the eyes & face of your children. Our daughter is the spitting image of me, our son is a combination of the two of us. Reflections of ourselves are seen not only in a physical sense, but also in their mannerisms which is quite comical some days!

5. I have always been fascinated with family resemblance. How you can tell which family a child belongs to in a park by the way they look. My brothers and I don’t look at all alike but I think you can still tell we’re related.

6. AZMike says:

I like the book, “The Shack”, the author used the line, “I tell everyone I think the kids got their good looks from me as my wife still has hers.”

7. That’s beautiful, Susannah.