Not As Fancy As I Used To Be

An upside of illness is how it streamlines what’s important.  Things like designer labels and how chic one looks suddenly shakes itself loose leaving a much more authentic you.

I was surveying myself just now…how casually I dress in what’s become a sort of uniform.  Jeans, a J. Crew ginny T beneath a well-worn French sailor shirt…a hoodie thrown on top of that.  If it’s chilly we add an old navy pinstriped blazer once belonging to a suit long gone…sneaks or old flats, a headband to tame and basically disregard my hair.

Not a bad look, just a very different one.

When I think the pains I took with my appearance just to go mail a letter, it’s stunning.  My mother drilled into me, you just never know whom you’re going to meet so you better be ready, and I was, for 58 years.

My collection of little black dresses practically hang in the closet like a memorial in remembrance of a lifestyle no longer lived.

Due to my limited hearing, I’m not the party girl I used to be going out nightly hooking arms with Camille hunting for that well-heeled high to verify my existence.

You’ll more than likely find me curled up in shortie pajamas peacefully reading my third book of the week with all I truly need:  a gentle breeze from the window…wine, fruit – a nice wedge of cheese softening for later not missing that social life so unexpectedly taken from me.  To my credit, I’ve stopped railing against what is equivalent to banging your head against the wall.

I don’t spar with discomfort anymore accepting my social limitations with graceful ease.

I kind of like my new style.  It’s effortless along with being a little French murmuring a history that, may be just that, but still has a tale to tell if anyone wishes to hear it.  ti01082483reading

This entry was posted in Books, Fashion, food, Health, Home, humor, New York City, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Not As Fancy As I Used To Be

1. Accepting what is and rolling with it. I admire that, Susannah. ;o)

You know Susannah, it’s that peacefulness we all hunger for that you’ve found. You make it sound so easy and restful from the hectic lifestyle of some. With H retiring next year I hope I can achieve some of what you’ve found. ~Elle

• It was thrust upon me in a way since all this health stuff cramped my style whether I liked it or not. I found not pushing against what I couldn’t control helped calm the seas. I think you do just fine by the way.

Like Fred said “you’ve either got, or you haven’t got, class”. You’d look good in a bin bag.

You look absolutely great, Susannah. It’s not the clothes that provide that ‘je ne sais quoi.’ It’s the attitude.

5. It’s a great look. Women would kill for it!

6. MJ says:

Beautiful piece, Susannah! The little black dresses line evokes Thomas Gray writing in the country churchyard, but your elegiac take on an urban closet is graced with humor as well as serenity.

7. Ally Bean says:

Sounds like the way we dress in the ‘burbs! Welcome to sanity. Life is too short to fuss with clothes when there’s reading to be done. Love the look.

8. AZMike says:

Susannah,
    I started losing my hair when I was 21, in my late 30’s I finally realized ‘a buzz’ made me look like I had more hair. Now I shave it all every three or four days, don’t look in the mirrors for days. I used to run around with the gotee thing than the gray hair came in at an angle making me look like I ate something and hadn’t wiped my face off. GOD is funny though, HE gave me an abundance of nose and ear hair, I know some that would take advantage of this and grow it out for a comb-over or hair-swirl. (No thanks.) 🙂

9. Something tells me you’re one of those people who look “together” no matter what you’re wearing. Some people can belt a trash bag and look amazing, while others .. not so much. It’s all in the contentment that you are comfortable right where you are in that moment. Wear your peace well.

• I wouldn’t go that far since my knees are always sticking out of my jeans from real wear…not at 100 dollars a rip. Do you believe people pay enormous amounts of money for torn jeans?

Wear your peace well is such a nice sentiment. Thanks Top.