Notes From The Carlyle – July 2015

images-7 I worked four days last week, like a real person.  Exhaustion be damned, on the last day I deserved a reward, so where did I go?

Bemelmans, positively giddy as my skirt swirled through the Carlye’s revolving doors.  Actor Ian McKellen was swirling out as I entered elegant as a lynx.  I sighed heavily wishing he worshiped at my temple, but alas, he had a strapping young man with him as chic as he is, just a younger version.

The place was jumping at 2 in the afternoon, but when it’s hot, so’s the bar.  Any excuse for that martini, shaken not stirred.  I fit right in wearing what I call my William Faulkner summer suit since everyone seemed swaddled in Ralph Lauren.  I’ve had it forever bought when I was flush, and since, if you’re from Connecticut, it’s only worn three months out of the year staying in eternal, tip-top shape.  I was told it was the color bisque not beige when I slid into the last empty seat at the far end of the bar.  This handsome fella commented at once knowing it was vintage Ralph, as he called it.  When I took off the jacket as if we were in woman’s separates, he rolled up the sleeves to my blue button-down.

It felt as if I was still working.

His name was Roy and when I mentioned seeing Ian McKellen I knew he didn’t worship at my temple either since he grew another inch in various places.

“He’s divIIIne, isn’t he?”

“Yes, he certainly is.”

“Did you see him as Sherlock Holmes? Oh my God. He’s a-maYYYzing.”

Alrighty then.

With my vodka and tonic soaking in lime, I relaxed taking in the sights.  It could have been a commercial for the smug and snooty the way everyone posed and preened.  The men with their hips cocked ready for action, while women resembled mannequins that move.  It brought me back to when I was a bit modelly myself, even when I wasn’t modeling.  Every movement was like a chess game, one’s body doing all the talking.  Knees rubbing, shoulders shimmying, like a well choreographed horny ballet.

I made love to my long time man, Stolichnaya, who kept me chilled yet cozy while serenely watching the show.

See, at my age you want a sure thing, like a Russian you can trust.

This entry was posted in Beauty, humor, modeling, money, New York City, sex, Women and men and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Notes From The Carlyle – July 2015

1. I adore a good martini; shaken not stirred; straight up with 2 olives. Mmmmm … 🍸

• I love that James Bond line. When it’s hot, like now, I crave an ice cold vodka with tons of lime. I even love how it smells…the first whiff up your nostrils when the bartender slides it onto a crisp napkin

Sounds like a great venue for people watching. And my, they don’t disappoint, do they? So much time, effort and money expended for what?
    Good piece Susannah.

3. Beautifully written!

Sounds like a very relaxing and New Yorky evening. Wish I was there, sipping a Chambord/Vodka martini. Actually, I’ll be doing that this evening when we go out to dinner with friends, but not in such a people watching atmosphere.

5. Suits that never go out of style, it really doesn’t get better. Unless of course you get to wear it while relaxing after a busy week sipping your favorite cocktail.

6. Lynn says:

Sounds like a fantastic place to people watch. Your description is a scene right out of a movie! Happy Weekend!

7. You wrote an interesting vignette! I wanted to be there (but my fav Ralph Lauren outfit is wool….) watching the mating games. I can picture you in your outfit. You can make vintage the most desirable.

8. Beverly Giangiacomo says:

I still think you should pick a date and include it in one of your writings for all of you fans to meet at the Carlyle for happy hour drinks (or 2 PM, who cares when you’re vacationing!)
    We could all wear our favorite “people watching” outfits and enjoy the day!

9. I never would have made it past the front door, someone would have stopped me. And then there I’d be, faced pressed against the window, trying to people watch while standing in my Levi 501’s, Gildan Tshirt, and $25.00 pair of Payless sneakers. Oh, whoa is me, where’s my Coors?

10. TheLastWord says:

The first hint was that he knew it was “bisque” not “beige”… Mind you, I do know what fuchsia is, so that’s not conclusive evidence of anything. Funny post!

11. Mike Feddersen says:

Ian had to be googled, name dropping is wasted on me I guess. “Magneto” would have cued a face though. I’m with Rudolph though on clothing, on my first cruise they suggested to dress “smart casual”, my good clothes needed to exchanged for great clothes. After the first guy I saw wearing blue jeans and a tshirt, smart casual was abandoned. 🙂
    I’m probably as close to the Carlyle as I will ever get, 16 miles. You would be fun to meet, your readers but Ian? And bisque? Tomato bisque is okay.

P.S. I’m probably more fun here under your prose.